Ventoso blasts the use of disc brakes in the peloton

Old April 15th 16, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Ventoso blasts the use of disc brakes in the peloton

On 2016-04-14 11:35, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
'Nobody thought they were dangerous? Nobody realized they
can... become giant knives?'

Francisco Ventoso's (Movistar) is recovering from deep wound to
his leg caused by a disc brake during a crash at Paris-Roubaix
on Sunday. Three days later, the Movistar rider has penned an
open letter blasting the pro cycling community including
international and national governing bodies, teams and riders
for not taking action to prevent the use of disc brakes in the
peloton.

"Shortly afterwards [after the crash], I have a glance at that
leg: it doesn't hurt, there's not a lot of blood covering it,
but I can clearly see part of the periosteum, the membrane or
surface that covers my tibia," Ventoso wrote. "I get off my
bike, throw myself against the right-hand side of the road over
the grass, cover my face with my hands in shock and disbelief,
start to feel sick... I could only wait for my team car and the
ambulance, while a lot of things come through my mind."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vent...n-the-peloton/

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vent...paris-roubaix/

I've always wondered about a crash and hitting my spinning front
wheel disk. Even more I wondered why they don't make them 0.050"
or 1mm larger in diameter and then round off the outside. But I
guess the answer is the usual, "weight weenieism".

Discs can become dangerous but they sure can stop you on a dime.
Maybe that is why he rear-ended the cyclist in front of him, the
guy had disc stopping power and Ventoso didn't.

The mechanism of the injury isn't really clear. He would have
munged his leg in the spokes in any event, but the spinning disc
apparently created a new hazard.

I like road discs for my non-racing rain bike and commuter because
they stop much better in wet conditions and don't grind down my
rims. I would bother with them on a mostly dry-weather racing bike
-- but in the PR they might serve some purpose by allowing the use
of a frame with more clearance and room for larger tires, e.g. the
latest Domane or any of the gravel bikes. They also stop well, but
so do rim brakes -- at least on an ordinary racing bike with the
right pads.

-- Jay Beattie.

It's been so long since I've raced that it never even occurred to me
to consider a disk as a weapon. But they are the only thing to ride
on very steep descents. But perhaps he is correct and these could
either in come manner be shielded or removed from the peloton.

Just make the discs a smidgen larger in diameter and round the edge.
Technical solutions can be so simple if the movers and shakers would put
their minds to it instead of simply screaming for a ban.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 15th 16, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

CF discs would be wider, blunto, preventing clods like Ventoso fromminjury.
Old April 16th 16, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/14/2016 2:35 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Looks like somebody listened:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/...e-trial_402497

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 16th 16, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

discs will increase competition in an 'unnecessary' area ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm_voGowZKc

could end his career....amazing rolled onto the disc in just the right spot

Old April 18th 16, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 12:11:45 PM UTC-7, wrote:
discs will increase competition in an 'unnecessary' area ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm_voGowZKc

could end his career....amazing rolled onto the disc in just the right spot

This did not appear to be either a stupid or unusual crash and seems to have ended up in a very serious injury. Hopefully he will recover complete use of his leg.
Old April 20th 16, 08:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lars Lehtonen[_4_]

Joerg wrote:
Disc brakes also shine when taking the occasional dirt path in any kind
of weather. My road bike unfortunately has rim brakes (it's 30+ years
old) and braking after a dirt stretch often gives me the goose bumps ...
KRCCHHHHH ... you can literally hear them eat a layer off of the rims.

The optimistic interpretation is that the brakes are using the dirt as
an abrasive to grind off a layer of oxidation.

---
Lars Lehtonen
Old April 20th 16, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-20 00:25, Lars Lehtonen wrote:
Joerg wrote:
Disc brakes also shine when taking the occasional dirt path in any kind
of weather. My road bike unfortunately has rim brakes (it's 30+ years
old) and braking after a dirt stretch often gives me the goose bumps ...
KRCCHHHHH ... you can literally hear them eat a layer off of the rims.

The optimistic interpretation is that the brakes are using the dirt as
an abrasive to grind off a layer of oxidation.

Possibly but in the end only this counts: It works.

They perform very well also on paved roads and bike paths. Which is
where one has to be careful because especially road bikers have this
dreaded habit of riding right behind others, no safety distance. So you
can't just reach in hard.

Old April 21st 16, 06:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2016-04-15, Joerg wrote:

Just make the discs a smidgen larger in diameter and round the edge.
Technical solutions can be so simple if the movers and shakers would put
their minds to it instead of simply screaming for a ban.

Classic disc brakes are about 600mm in diameter, right round the edge.
We're in agreement that it's best to keep it simple.

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old April 21st 16, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-04-15, Joerg wrote:

Just make the discs a smidgen larger in diameter and round the edge.
Technical solutions can be so simple if the movers and shakers would put
their minds to it instead of simply screaming for a ban.

Classic disc brakes are about 600mm in diameter, right round the edge.
We're in agreement that it's best to keep it simple.

Those do not work well in rain and mud. The 160mm or 180mm ones do.

Old April 21st 16, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2016-04-15, Joerg wrote:

Just make the discs a smidgen larger in diameter and round the edge.
Technical solutions can be so simple if the movers and shakers would put
their minds to it instead of simply screaming for a ban.

Classic disc brakes are about 600mm in diameter, right round the edge.
We're in agreement that it's best to keep it simple.

Those do not work well in rain and mud. The 160mm or 180mm ones do.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

How do discs that are nearly 75% 0r 66% SMALLER work better than the much larger 600mm ones?

Cheers