trailer: hole, gap, washer, grooves, and dome nuts

Old April 30th 16, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default trailer: hole, gap, washer, grooves, and dome nuts

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 22:07:41 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

AMuzi writes:

I don't fully understand your situation as described

Ha ha, no

But the other guys understood, and reading their
posts, I'm sure you understand as well, so if you
don't mind, feel free to add to their stories

Yup, three people replied to you:

I wrote, "I'm not sure you explained that sufficiently", Frank says a
picture would help, and Andrew above, says that he doesn't fully
understand".

Where are these "other guys" that understood?
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old April 30th 16, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 22:04:12 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Frank Krygowski writes:

It sounds like you're describing some sort of a slot
to allow for wheel alignment. If pulling a wrench
handle moves the attachment point, perhaps you're
applying force parallel to the slot? If so, can you
apply the wrench with the handle parallel to the
slot, and apply force to the handle perpendicular to
the slot? Assuming the width of the slot is close to
the axle thickness, things shouldn't move much in
that direction.

Interesting. So if the handle is put X-ways before the
pull, and then moved into Y-ways, that should minimize
movement along the slot...

Alternately, there are wrenches with T handles, that
allow you to apply pure torque with no sideways
force. Perhaps you can use such a wrench, if
there's room.

Interesting (again). Yes, I have those, but only with
hex keys, not sockets. But perhaps I can assemble one
with bits now that I think about it...

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/t-handle-socket-set

About the nut: It sounds like you're talking about
a serrated face nut:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serrated_face_nut
Assuming the metal it clamps against is soft enough
to take a slight impression, this should resist
loosening better than a plain nut plus flat washer.

OK!

But generally, I much prefer other nut locking methods
- say a nut with a nylon insert
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyloc_nut

Yes, I have several buckets of those but they are
harder to put in. Also, some people say they can't be
operated several times without loosing their property.
Maybe it is just slander... With them, I take it you
don't need a flat washer?

Yes, self locking nuts have a service life. The usual practice is if
the nut can be screwed in the depth of the nut with the fingers it
should not be considered as self locking.

or (my favorite) an anaerobic thread lock compound.

OK, never heard of

--

Cheers,

John B.