Completing mudguards

Old November 30th 17, 10:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

Default Completing mudguards

Hello,

With my daily commuting way going through a forest that is getting quite
muddy, and that will probably get worst when it starts snowing, I have
noticed my regular mudguards do not protect me completely.

I know some people are completing their front mudguard by mounting some
additional plastic foils on the bottom. I am looking for reports or
tutorials for this, would you happen to know about this?

Bicycly your,

--
Â*Â*__o Tanguy Ortolo
Â*__\,_
Old November 30th 17, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/30/2017 4:43 AM, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Hello,

With my daily commuting way going through a forest that is getting quite
muddy, and that will probably get worst when it starts snowing, I have
noticed my regular mudguards do not protect me completely.

I know some people are completing their front mudguard by mounting some
additional plastic foils on the bottom. I am looking for reports or
tutorials for this, would you happen to know about this?

I assume you're talking about what we call "mud flaps," like this:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/att...p-img_0936.jpg

I've used them almost forever and have made them out of several
different materials. Most of mine were cut out of the sides of
polyethylene gallon jugs. Cylindrical jugs work better than the vaguely
cubic shape of milk jugs. I now have more elegant ones I cut out of EPDM
rubber sheet about 1/16" thick. Mine are shaped with a sort of flare, so
the lower portion is two or three times as wide as the fender.

I fasten mine to a 1/4" hole drilled in the bottom edge of the fender. A
nylon screw (rust free) goes through the hole in the mud flap, then
through the fender from the inside. A wing nut screws down on the
outside of the fender, so I can easily remove the flap and toss it in
the handlebar bag when its not needed. (That's for aerodynamics!)

BTW, I learned the hard way that if you're riding with fenders in muddy
conditions, you need lots of clearance between the tire surface and the
fender's inside surface. But you probably know that already.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 1st 17, 09:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2017-11-30, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:

With my daily commuting way going through a forest that is getting quite
muddy, and that will probably get worst when it starts snowing, I have
noticed my regular mudguards do not protect me completely.

This commercial mudflap is retroreflective, has just the right
amount of flex and generally works really well:

http://www.rainydaybiking.com/Standa...Flap-p/100.htm

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old December 1st 17, 11:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

Gregory Sutter, 2017-12-01 09:16+0100:
This commercial mudflap is retroreflective, has just the right
amount of flex and generally works really well:

http://www.rainydaybiking.com/Standa...Flap-p/100.htm

This may be a bit expensive to ship to France, but I will try to find
something similar here. Thank you!

--
Tanguy
Old December 1st 17, 11:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

Frank Krygowski, 2017-11-30 21:22+0100:
I assume you're talking about what we call "mud flaps," like this:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/att...p-img_0936.jpg

Yes, that is about it. Except I think I saw once someone with a flap
that also covered part of the sides of the wheel. I am not entirely sure
of what I should cover in addition to my fenders, but I know that
currently, some mud is reaching my pants… :-(

I already wear gaiters, which mitigate the issue, but they do not cover
my knees, which get some mud or road crap spots.

--
Tanguy
Old December 1st 17, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei

On 01-12-17 11:38, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Frank Krygowski, 2017-11-30 21:22+0100:
I assume you're talking about what we call "mud flaps," like this:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/att...p-img_0936.jpg

Yes, that is about it. Except I think I saw once someone with a flap
that also covered part of the sides of the wheel. I am not entirely sure
of what I should cover in addition to my fenders, but I know that
currently, some mud is reaching my pants… :-(

I already wear gaiters, which mitigate the issue, but they do not cover
my knees, which get some mud or road crap spots.

I wear old rain pants, no longer completely waterproof but good enough
to keep off some spray.

The problem doesn't seem to be the back of the front fender. Instead,
it's that water is spit forward from the top of the front tire where it
exits the fender, and as this slows I ride into it.

Ned
Old December 2nd 17, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2017-12-01, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Gregory Sutter, 2017-12-01 09:16+0100:
This commercial mudflap is retroreflective, has just the right
amount of flex and generally works really well:

http://www.rainydaybiking.com/Standa...Flap-p/100.htm

This may be a bit expensive to ship to France, but I will try to find
something similar here. Thank you!

You might try these or similar, which will be more readily available.

https://www.bikester.fr/accessoires-...boue/8517.html
https://www.bikester.fr/sks-accessoi...ir-361025.html

Additionally, your local randonneuring club will likely have some
lively opinions on the best products for the purpose!

Old December 3rd 17, 09:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

Ned Mantei, 2017-12-01 14:29+0100:
The problem doesn't seem to be the back of the front fender. Instead,
it's that water is spit forward from the top of the front tire where it
exits the fender, and as this slows I ride into it.

Yes, that would make sense! Thenk you for suggesting that explanation. I
am not sure there is any other solution than wearing a rain pant then…

--
Tanguy
Old December 4th 17, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Ned Mantei, 2017-12-01 14:29+0100:
The problem doesn't seem to be the back of the front fender. Instead,
it's that water is spit forward from the top of the front tire where it
exits the fender, and as this slows I ride into it.

Yes, that would make sense! Thenk you for suggesting that explanation. I
am not sure there is any other solution than wearing a rain pant then…

And if there are more than a couple of mm of rain standing on the road,
then the front tire sends a wave of water off at an angle, which on my
bike, lined up perfectly with my shoes once per revolution. Nothing short
of gumboots (with cleats, of course) would have kept my feet dry in that.

Old December 4th 17, 09:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tanguy Ortolo

Ralph Barone, 2017-12-04 01:56+0100:
And if there are more than a couple of mm of rain standing on the road,
then the front tire sends a wave of water off at an angle, which on my
bike, lined up perfectly with my shoes once per revolution. Nothing short
of gumboots (with cleats, of course) would have kept my feet dry in that.

Fortunately I find my gaiters sufficient to protect my shoes for that.
:-)

--
Tanguy

Mudguards James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] UK 4 March 31st 17 04:41 PM
mudguards Coach UK 3 November 17th 06 09:59 AM
New mudguards Budstaff UK 8 March 29th 06 06:39 PM
Mudguards anjuna UK 6 January 18th 06 03:28 AM
mudguards anjuna UK 46 January 15th 06 11:46 AM