700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

Old January 23rd 18, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default 700c 25mm tires on Weinmann ZAC19 rims ok?

On 2018-01-22 17:54, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:07:29 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-01-22 14:55, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

You're trying to use a mid-fi club racer for a cargo bike. You
should get a cargo bike or a gravel bike.

I like this old bike. It has sturdy rack eyelets and a nice rack on
there. Works well. Why should I buy a whole new steel trekking bike for
$1500 when I can buy a wheel for $100 and be done with it? Plus then
my wife would want me to get rid of the Gazelle road bike and I just
can't do that. It would be like throwing away a 50's era Porsche.

The only downside of this bike is that it doesn't have low gears for
steeper hills. So I have to use the MTB for such rides but that's not a
big deal, comes at a small speed penalty and life isn't about racing
through it. At least not for me.

Having been there and done that I would suggest that if the drop-outs
require aligning that you take it to a shop. Not that aligning the
frame is an overwhelming problem rather that a shop will (hopefully)
have the correct tools which makes a successful outcome far more
likely.

See: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...pout-alignment

Yup. Though a couple of long enough screws should also do the trick.
First I have to find a good wheel though. If I end up having to rebuild
one around the old Shimano 600 hub I won't need to bend up the frame.

You'll need to drill the flanges because that hub will not take 12g spokes. Although you don't need 12g spokes, I know you want them.

Why don't you just buy yourself a ****ty old hard-tail and build a work bike. You live in a golf-course community. You can afford a few hundred dollars.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 24th 18, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gregory Sutter

On 2018-01-22 14:55, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 2:25:46 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 21/01/18 22:18, Gregory Sutter wrote:

You might look for wheels with double-butted spokes; they will
be stronger and you'll break fewer spokes!

Problem is, I can't exceed 130mm between the dropouts for the wheel
and even that's a stretch (the frame is 126mm). This limits the
selection of ready-to-go wheels.

I does? The non-disc road standard is still 130mm. There are tons of
wheels out there for 130mm spaced frames,

I meant with 12g SS spokes.

There's effectively no such thing as 12 gauge spokes; even
Wheelsmith's "downhill" spokes are 13-14-13g.

Take your nice 600 hub, use name-brand 14-15-14g spokes, select an
asymmetric rim, have a person who builds wheels all the time make it
up for you, and you'll have a fine quality rear wheel that should
last you a long time.

--
Gregory S. Sutter Mostly Harmless

http://zer0.org/~gsutter/
Old January 24th 18, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2018-01-22 14:55, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 2:25:46 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 21/01/18 22:18, Gregory Sutter wrote:

You might look for wheels with double-butted spokes; they will
be stronger and you'll break fewer spokes!

Problem is, I can't exceed 130mm between the dropouts for the wheel
and even that's a stretch (the frame is 126mm). This limits the
selection of ready-to-go wheels.

I does? The non-disc road standard is still 130mm. There are tons of
wheels out there for 130mm spaced frames,

I meant with 12g SS spokes.

There's effectively no such thing as 12 gauge spokes; even
Wheelsmith's "downhill" spokes are 13-14-13g.

Take your nice 600 hub, use name-brand 14-15-14g spokes, select an
asymmetric rim, have a person who builds wheels all the time make it
up for you, and you'll have a fine quality rear wheel that should
last you a long time.

+1
p.s.
13g spokes are 0.105" 2.6mm
12g are 0.120"

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 24th 18, 11:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2018-01-22 14:55, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

[...]

Or a small - 150 - 200 C.C. motorcycle. They seldom have wheel
problems :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 24th 18, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-01-22 14:55, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

[...]

In that case I'd buy a new trekking bike with steel frame. However, as I
said before the missus will then insist on getting rid of my trusty old
1982 road bike and I just can't part with that, yet.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old January 24th 18, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-01-22 14:55, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, January 22, 2018 at 2:25:46 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 21/01/18 22:18, Gregory Sutter wrote:

You might look for wheels with double-butted spokes; they will
be stronger and you'll break fewer spokes!

Problem is, I can't exceed 130mm between the dropouts for the wheel
and even that's a stretch (the frame is 126mm). This limits the
selection of ready-to-go wheels.

I does? The non-disc road standard is still 130mm. There are tons of
wheels out there for 130mm spaced frames,

I meant with 12g SS spokes.

There's effectively no such thing as 12 gauge spokes; even
Wheelsmith's "downhill" spokes are 13-14-13g.

Take your nice 600 hub, use name-brand 14-15-14g spokes, select an
asymmetric rim, have a person who builds wheels all the time make it
up for you, and you'll have a fine quality rear wheel that should
last you a long time.

The hub is old and the surfaces where the bearing balls roll on in there
are equally old. I don't think sinking much effort into that is worth
it. I've got time and I am pretty sure I can find a read wheel that fits
the bill most of the way.

Old January 25th 18, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 2018-01-22 14:55, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

[...]

Why in the world would you listen to your wife regarding the number
and type of bicycles you own? Doe she listen to you when she wants
(needs) new kitchen utensils?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 25th 18, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:33:13 -0800, Joerg

On 2018-01-23 17:50, Gregory Sutter wrote:
On 2018-01-22, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-01-22 14:55, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Yes, I've done that. Used a ****ty old hub and some second hand
spokes.... ended up with a pretty lousy wheel too.

If you are going to build a wheel for actual use, i.e., not hanging on
a gate, why not spend the money and get quality components. A quick
look seems to show that a hub and spokes cost in the region of $100
and a rim (700C) is cheap. Alex is selling welded, grommeted, offset,
MTB rims quite cheaply these days.

Or maybe a solid Mag wheel for less then $100
https://tinyurl.com/yan7qvuo

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 25th 18, 07:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 25/01/18 02:04, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:30:37 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

snip

In that case I'd buy a new trekking bike with steel frame. However,
as I said before the missus will then insist on getting rid of my
trusty old 1982 road bike and I just can't part with that, yet.

Why in the world would you listen to your wife regarding the number
and type of bicycles you own? Doe she listen to you when she wants
(needs) new kitchen utensils?

Exactly as long as you can maintain the relationship

NB NW

Where NB is the Number of Bikes and NW is the Number of [ex]Wives you
should be fine!
Old January 25th 18, 07:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 07:03:56 +0100, Tosspot
wrote:

On 25/01/18 02:04, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 09:30:37 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

snip

In that case I'd buy a new trekking bike with steel frame. However,
as I said before the missus will then insist on getting rid of my
trusty old 1982 road bike and I just can't part with that, yet.

Why in the world would you listen to your wife regarding the number
and type of bicycles you own? Doe she listen to you when she wants
(needs) new kitchen utensils?

Exactly as long as you can maintain the relationship

NB NW

Where NB is the Number of Bikes and NW is the Number of [ex]Wives you
should be fine!

Actually the division of home management dates back to caveman days.
The Husband killed the buffalos and dragged them home while the wife
chopped them up and cooked. Logically if the husband wanted a new
spear it would be justified and equally logical any new stew pots that
the wife wanted were equally justified.
--
Cheers,

John B.