New Cateye HL-EL500 Headlight

Old September 11th 04, 05:29 AM
James S. Prine

Default New Cateye HL-EL500 Headlight

Hello all!

I've been using a Cateye HL-EL300 headlight for some time (this is the 5-LED
model), and I've been quite satisfied with it for use on my EZ-1 SC.

I got the new HL-EL500 single-LED headlight and installed it beside the '300
and took a ride well after sunset this evening.

I began the ride with the HL-EL300 lit and, when I reached a suitably 'dark'
area under heavy trees and no street lights, I powered up the '500.

The difference was...astonishing! Truly a bright white light which 'washed
out' the much-dimmer (in comparison) beam from the older '300 model. For the
first time, I saw my headlight reflected back at me from the windows of a house
at the end of my street...well over 200 yards away.

Setup was easy and the unit appears to be very well-made, with tight tolerances
and a look (and feel) of quality.

I'm not sure how long this new light will last, but I am a *very* happy user.

James S. Prine
http://hometown.aol.com/jsprine/

Old September 11th 04, 05:50 PM
Lars S. Mulford

Howdy James!

I use a pair of EL500s on my TE. Before I got them, I used a pair of
Planetbike Super Spot 1 watt LED headlights. The Cateyes throw a deeper
beam, although not quite as wide as the Planetbikes. I'm very happy with
the EL500s.

--
"Sea" ya!
--Lars S. Mulford

Old September 11th 04, 09:22 PM
James S. Prine

I use a pair of EL500s on my TE. Before I got them, I used a pair of
Planetbike Super Spot 1 watt LED headlights. The Cateyes throw a deeper
beam, although not quite as wide as the Planetbikes. I'm very happy with
the EL500s.

Hello Lars!

I'm so excited about the HL500 that I went out and got another one...a matched
pair, angled slighty differently for a bit wider coverage. I plan to run one
for 'normal' riding and use the other one for backup and when it's *really*
dark! g

The EL300 has been transferred to my mountain bike.

So far, so good....

Old September 12th 04, 06:20 PM
Lewis Campbell

I have had a similar experience to you, James, an EL-300 and now an
EL-500.

The difference is, as you say, "astonishing".

When I got the EL-500 I also got a set of Lithium batteries, which put
out slightly more power and are supposed to last longer (according to
a suggestion I read in another thread). I'm hoping these will not
leak and start the corrosion of the terminals that I have got in some
other lights.

Lewis.

**********************************

Old September 12th 04, 07:28 PM
James S. Prine

When I got the EL-500 I also got a set of Lithium batteries, which put
out slightly more power and are supposed to last longer (according to
a suggestion I read in another thread). I'm hoping these will not
leak and start the corrosion of the terminals that I have got in some
other lights.

That is a good point that I shall certainly have to keep in mind; thanks!

Old September 12th 04, 07:38 PM
Tom Sherman

Lewis Campbell wrote:

I have had a similar experience to you, James, an EL-300 and now an
EL-500.

The difference is, as you say, "astonishing".

When I got the EL-500 I also got a set of Lithium batteries, which put
out slightly more power and are supposed to last longer (according to
a suggestion I read in another thread). I'm hoping these will not
leak and start the corrosion of the terminals that I have got in some
other lights...

Removing batteries promptly when they run low on charge will prevent
most leakage problems. Avoiding storage in temperature extremes will
also help.

--
Tom Sherman – Curmudgeon and Pedant

Old September 12th 04, 07:48 PM
James S. Prine

Removing batteries promptly when they run low on charge will prevent
most leakage problems. Avoiding storage in temperature extremes will
also help.

Indeed! Thanks for the additional information Mr. Sherman.

Old September 13th 04, 02:46 AM
Lars S. Mulford

Howdy James and others!

I used lithiums in all my Cateye lights and Planetbikes. They certainly did
last a long time. In the last 6 months or so I've been using Rayovac
Maximum Plus batteries. I can't say that I've noted any decrease in light
brightness and in truth, I've not seen any powerful difference in battery
life. I'm sure the lithiums last longer, but the difference isn't enough
for me to buy them again. I can get a 24 pack of Rayovac Maximum Plus
batteries from the local Wally World and it costs me about $7. I've got
enough batteries to fill up all the lights our recumbents and have enough
left over to last a long time. That same $7 doesn't even buy a pair of
lithium AA batteries at our local Wally World.

I am an active rider at night here in lower DE and my lights get nightly
use. I am very pleased with the Rayovacs for their power output and long
life, at a fraction of the cost of lithiums.

The batteries I'm talking about can be seen he
http://www.rayovac.com/products/max/max.shtml

I am very pleased with the Cateye EL500s. The pair I have give me plenty of
light to see where I'm going at night and to BE seen by others. My area is
very rural with little to no ambient light, so I rely on these lights to
see. They are effective for me.

Old September 13th 04, 05:44 AM
James S. Prine

I am an active rider at night here in lower DE and my lights get nightly
use. I am very pleased with the Rayovacs for their power output and long
life, at a fraction of the cost of lithiums.

Another useful tip; many thanks.

I prefer riding at night...cooler (here in New Orleans) and much less traffic.
Besides...the nights lately have been beautiful, and it's very relaxing to
slowly cruise around and take it all in.

Old September 13th 04, 12:36 PM
Jon Meinecke

"Lewis Campbell" wrote
When I got the EL-500 I also got a set of Lithium batteries, which put
out slightly more power and are supposed to last longer (according to
a suggestion I read in another thread).

Lithium batteries are reported to have longer shelf life than
alkalines... This might make them good choices for an
emergency/reserve back-up set of batteries. I believe that
lithium cells may also perform better at low temperatures.

I don't recall them being reported as lasting significantly longer
in constant current drain applications. Though they are said to
have quicker recovery rates that may make them better suited
for camera flashes for example.

I've found alkalines well suited for my occasional use in LED
headlights. They are cheap and have a reasonably long
shelf life that's compatible with my occasional use. If I were
using the headlight regularly then I would probably use
Li-ion rechargables even though they don't hold their
charge as long...

Jon