Portland LBS recommendation

Old July 19th 05, 11:47 PM
Jon Blake

Default Portland LBS recommendation

I'm hoping group members have a recommendation for a local bike store in
Portland, OR for the purchase of a new Specialized road bike.

TIA - Jon
Old July 20th 05, 12:27 AM
Jay Beattie

"Jon Blake" wrote in message
.washington.edu...
I'm hoping group members have a recommendation for a local bike

store in
Portland, OR for the purchase of a new Specialized road bike.

River City. http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/ Great shop with an
indoor test track. -- Jay Beattie.

Old July 20th 05, 05:54 PM
John

"Jon Blake" wrote in message
.washington.edu...
I'm hoping group members have a recommendation for a local bike store in
Portland, OR for the purchase of a new Specialized road bike.

TIA - Jon

I wouldn't go to River City for anything except browsing. They have a
great inventory, but the service dept. is very poor and, from mine and
friends experiences, don't really seem to care. This is from my experience
and several other people who ride a lot.

My recommendation would be Bike Gallery, who has about five locations in the
Portland area. I don't believe they sell Specialized, but they are a very
good all-around LBS.

Good Luck,

John (Blake) - Nice name Jon.

Old July 20th 05, 06:35 PM
Jay Beattie

"John" wrote in message

"Jon Blake" wrote in message

.washington.edu...
I'm hoping group members have a recommendation for a local

bike store in
Portland, OR for the purchase of a new Specialized road bike.

TIA - Jon

I wouldn't go to River City for anything except browsing. They

have a
great inventory, but the service dept. is very poor and, from

mine and
friends experiences, don't really seem to care. This is from

my experience
and several other people who ride a lot.

My recommendation would be Bike Gallery, who has about five

locations in the
Portland area. I don't believe they sell Specialized, but they

are a very
good all-around LBS.

This goes to show you how experiences can vary widely with the
same shop. I have affiliations with both shops and their owners,
and anything I say about either shop would be biased -- in favor
of both. I would strongly suggest that Jon make his own decision
and not pre-judge. As for the Specialized brand, River City has
the bikes.

The bottom line is that Jon is lucky to be in a town with a
bazillion bicycle shops, many of them good. Also, Bike Gallery
and River City are strong supporters of local advocacy groups and
racing teams, which make me feel better when I break down and pay
thier LBS prices. -- Jay Beattie.

Old July 20th 05, 07:34 PM
John

"Jay Beattie" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message

"Jon Blake" wrote in message

.washington.edu...
[...]

I agree Jay. We are have to go off of our own experiences. You're right-on
about the local area being bike friendly and lots of bike shops. Have fun
Jon!

John

Old July 21st 05, 03:41 AM
JeffWills

John wrote:
I agree Jay. We are have to go off of our own experiences. You're right-on
about the local area being bike friendly and lots of bike shops. Have fun
Jon!

I agree with y'all. Both River City and Bike Gallery are good places
for conventional bike stuff, but I like visiting the used parts room at
Citybikes on Ankeny. Lots of neat, old, and plain funky parts for
wackos llike me.

Jeff

Old July 21st 05, 10:45 PM
John

"JeffWills" wrote in message
oups.com...

John wrote:
I agree Jay. We are have to go off of our own experiences. You're
right-on
about the local area being bike friendly and lots of bike shops. Have
fun
Jon!

I agree with y'all. Both River City and Bike Gallery are good places
for conventional bike stuff, but I like visiting the used parts room at
Citybikes on Ankeny. Lots of neat, old, and plain funky parts for
wackos llike me.

Jeff

I thought I was the only retro-grouch around here!

John

Old July 22nd 05, 01:21 AM
JeffWills

John wrote:

I thought I was the only retro-grouch around here!

Not by a long shot.

Actually, I suffer from multiple cycling personalities:
http://www.pacifier.com/~jwills/Gall...ike_Collection

(I need to update that page- I'm down one recumbent and I've gained a
Raliegh, a Bianchi, a Steelman track bike and a damaged Eisentraut
frame. Old bike mechanics never die, they disappear under their piles
of spare parts.)

Jeff

Old July 22nd 05, 08:18 AM
cc

"John" wrote in message

"Jon Blake" wrote in message
.washington.edu...
I'm hoping group members have a recommendation for a local bike store in
Portland, OR for the purchase of a new Specialized road bike.

TIA - Jon

When I was in Portland, I always had good luck with Bike n' Hike, although
that was when I was on a BMX . . .

***cc

LBS Recommendation in So. Cal. Les Techniques 4 November 30th 04 06:06 PM
Saddle recommendation Yum Techniques 0 October 12th 04 04:06 PM
ATB recommendation please. Mark UK 8 May 29th 04 01:07 PM
Bike lock advise and recommendation David Techniques 2 November 13th 03 12:31 AM
Pedals and Shoe Recommendation Paulie Walnuts Mountain Biking 6 August 6th 03 07:31 PM