restore or scavenge...?

Old July 21st 05, 01:28 AM
C.J.Patten

Default restore or scavenge...?

Hey folks!

Since getting back in to cycling recently, I've been finding bikes in all
sorts of places.

Most of the bikes I find, I've been donating to a local gentleman who fixes
and sells them cheap ($5-$30) from his front lawn.

I feel pretty good about this - someone who can't afford a new bike gets a
ride - and I even got a Brooks saddle off one of the donated bikes.

*** *** ***

I'm wondering, if you had a scrap-heap of bikes to pick through, what parts
would you pull out?

I salvaged a Kalloy stem from a 12-speed. The freewheel is only a 6 speed -
Shimano SIS downtube shifters - so I figured I'd hold out for a 7.

Would *you* keep a 6?

*** *** ***

I found a folding bike in rough shape; nothing bent or missing but
everything rusty. Here are some pics of it and of the local bike guy's
operation:

http://ca.geocities.com/af895/bikes/

The folder was "made in Poland" for Canadian Tire - our equivalent of
Pro-Hardware or ACE if that helps. Also: it has a 3-speed, Shimano
internally geared hub.

Is it worth keeping the hub or is it junk?

Same question for the bike - worth fixing or should I just donate it and
hope Mr.Fixit can give it to someone?

Cheers!
Chris

Old July 21st 05, 01:47 AM
Donald Gillies

I enjoy restoring older bikes. In most cases repair parts are still
available (see www.biketoolsetc.com to see what i mean.) that, plus
some ingenuity with a dremel can be used to create parts that aren't
readily available.

freewheels with removable cogs are no longer being made. All vintage
freewheels are useful because the cogs can be reused on other similar
freewheels. Vintage freewheels are often ligther and of higher
quality than today's freewheels. Don't throw away those vintage
freewheels! A 6-speed freewheel will get you up a hill just as fast
as a 7-speed freewheel with a higher high gear.

I generally will save all forged alloy parts, and this means stems,
seatposts, cranks, brakes (weinmann/universal/mafac centerpulls),
etc. I will also save bottom brackets because with the right care
a cup-and-cone bottom bracket can last longer and has lower friction
than a cartridge bottom bracket.

Some things that I _don't_ save -

* stale rubber brake blocks (but save the holders and mail them to me!)
* chains with any rust
* dried out / dissolving rubber.
* department-store parts (7/8" stems / headsets / bars / seatposts.)
* steel rims on caliper-brake bikes (aluminum provides much better braking.)

A dremel with a wire brush can do wonders for a rusty bike. Or, a can
of airplane stripper and the proper gloves and a high quality fumes
mask plus some rattle can paint and sandpaper can also do wonders.

Parts can be sold on ebay to others who are restoring bikes. If you
create an account on ebay you can search completed auction to see what
sorts of price a part will fetch. Many bicyclists sell parts for
small amounts of money just to avoid throwing stuff away and to feel
good about helping others.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Old July 21st 05, 07:31 AM
A Muzi

C.J.Patten wrote:
-snip-
I found a folding bike in rough shape; nothing bent or missing but
everything rusty. Here are some pics of it and of the local bike guy's
operation:

http://ca.geocities.com/af895/bikes/

The folder was "made in Poland" for Canadian Tire - our equivalent of
Pro-Hardware or ACE if that helps. Also: it has a 3-speed, Shimano
internally geared hub.

Is it worth keeping the hub or is it junk?

Same question for the bike - worth fixing or should I just donate it and
hope Mr.Fixit can give it to someone?

Made by Tyler.
Not bad and you might like riding it. Very similar to my
own Bianchi Aquiletta.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old July 21st 05, 01:46 PM
C.J.Patten

Googled that one...
http://www.mopedarmy.com/photos/brand/144/2588/

Damn.

That's a NICE bike!

"A Muzi" wrote in message
-snip-

Old July 21st 05, 03:03 PM

C.J.Patten wrote:
Hey folks!

Since getting back in to cycling recently, I've been finding bikes in all
sorts of places.

I don't seem to be so lucky finding bikes. Any suggestions where to
look?

Most of the bikes I find, I've been donating to a local gentleman who fixes
and sells them cheap ($5-$30) from his front lawn.

I feel pretty good about this - someone who can't afford a new bike gets a
ride - and I even got a Brooks saddle off one of the donated bikes.

*** *** ***

I'm wondering, if you had a scrap-heap of bikes to pick through, what parts
would you pull out?

I salvaged a Kalloy stem from a 12-speed. The freewheel is only a 6 speed -
Shimano SIS downtube shifters - so I figured I'd hold out for a 7.

Would *you* keep a 6?

Pull out the parts you have a use for. Better yet, pull out the bike
you have a use for, and whatever parts you want to put on it.

*** *** ***

I found a folding bike in rough shape; nothing bent or missing but
everything rusty. Here are some pics of it and of the local bike guy's
operation:

http://ca.geocities.com/af895/bikes/

The folder was "made in Poland" for Canadian Tire - our equivalent of
Pro-Hardware or ACE if that helps. Also: it has a 3-speed, Shimano
internally geared hub.

Is it worth keeping the hub or is it junk?

I would keep the whole bike and fix it up. "Hot rod" it the way many
do to their Raleigh 20's - ie, customize it the way you want it. But
then again, I have old folder lust, thanks to numerous pages about
customized Raleigh 20's.

Same question for the bike - worth fixing or should I just donate it and
hope Mr.Fixit can give it to someone?

Only worth fixing if you have a use for it, or you are going to find it
a new home yourself.

Personally, I enjoy working on old bikes, so I scour garage sales for
them. When I find something suitable, I buy it, fix it up, and either
sell it at cost to a friend (ie, what I paid for it plus what I put
into it in parts), or sell it for a bit more to a stranger via a
classified ad. I consider it a hobby that doesn't really cost me
anything. To me, a suitable bike for fixing up is something that needs
some work and will have some value when I am done. This generally
leads me to older bike store brand road bikes - 10 and 12 speeds
mainly.

Later,
Mark Muller

Old July 21st 05, 04:18 PM

C.J.Patten wrote:
[...]

Recently I found a 1983 Fuji Absolute 12 speed bike in the garbage pile
in front of a house. It looked just fine. It had sat in the garage
unused for 20 years. It was a big 25" frame. I took it home and
overhauled it. No new parts. $5.30 total cost. I rode it around the
parking lot to make sure it worked when I was done. I then gave it to
my Mom to give to a place that needs usable bikes. I guess it was
worth it.

But I might not do it again. Particularly for a less quality bike. I
have several nice bikes. Old junk bikes you can find are not as nice
to work on as nicer newer bikes. And old junk bikes you can find are
not as nice to ride as newer high quality bikes. I have enough other
stuff to do than spend it fixing junk bikes up. I'd rather ride my
nice high quality bikes than fix junk bikes. I'd rather overhaul my
nice high quality bikes than fix up junk bikes. Or overhaul my
family's bikes thjat they actually ride than fix up junk bikes.
Needless to say I don't see much if any benefit fixing up junk bikes
you can fiind for free or cheap. Note, I am not talking about finding
old Cinelli bikes and other high quality bikes, just department store
junk bikes.

Old July 21st 05, 05:15 PM
The Wogster

wrote:
C.J.Patten wrote:

[...]

I think that applies to anything, which would you rather spend your time
fixing up, an '96 Honda Accord, or a '63 Porsche?

I have an interesting dilemma right now, keep my '95 Chrysler Intrepid,
which seems to have joined the $300-repair-a-month club, or go "car
free" for a while, and maybe pickup a commuter bike for summer and take
the bus in the Winter...... My wife changed universities so, she will
be commuting downtown this year. I can drive to work in 10 minutes, bus
it in 40 and probably bike it in about 25...... The bike commute has
the hill to/from hell, so that might be interesting.....

Old July 21st 05, 05:53 PM
C.J.Patten

wrote in message
oups.com...

.. I don't seem to be so lucky finding bikes. Any suggestions where to
look?

You bet!

1) your local FreeCycle group; often if you're donating bikes to a local
"bike man Pat", only keeping a part or two (if at all), people will freely
donate them to you. I don't get a lot of good stuff but I do get the
occasional nugget (eg: the Brooks Saddle I found on the Sekine)

2) Garbage day! - more specifically, the day before. I find bikes out with
the trash every week. Some really are junk but many can be salvaged.

3) though I haven't done this personally, I understand many people find
stuff at local landfills/dumps. I think our municiple dump prohibits this
kind of thing though...

4) "dumpster diving"... Google it. Dumpsters near university dorms around
the time people are moving out are great places to look

Pull out the parts you have a use for. Better yet, pull out the bike
you have a use for, and whatever parts you want to put on it.

Sorta like playing Canasta... you gotta pick up and you gotta discard... but
you never know what you might be able to use later...

I would keep the whole bike and fix it up. "Hot rod" it the way many
do to their Raleigh 20's - ie, customize it the way you want it. But
then again, I have old folder lust, thanks to numerous pages about
customized Raleigh 20's.

I hear you. I have a penchant for folders too.

I find it a bit depressing that I can't afford all the tools and materials I
need to do a nice restoration. (Oxalic acid for removing rust etc... ) Soon
though.

Only worth fixing if you have a use for it, or you are going to find it
a new home yourself.

Agreed.

Personally, I enjoy working on old bikes, so I scour garage sales for
them. When I find something suitable, I buy it, fix it up, and either
sell it at cost to a friend (ie, what I paid for it plus what I put
into it in parts), or sell it for a bit more to a stranger via a
classified ad. I consider it a hobby that doesn't really cost me
anything. To me, a suitable bike for fixing up is something that needs
some work and will have some value when I am done. This generally
leads me to older bike store brand road bikes - 10 and 12 speeds
mainly.

That's a great hobby Mark.

Since getitng a digital camera, I find it rewarding to take "before and
after" pictures of my projects. Even if the item gets given away or sold, I
can always say "I did that."

BTW: see http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo....dumpsterdiving

Chris