How To Remove Sugino Autex Crank Bolts?

Old July 22nd 05, 08:56 PM
David White

Default How To Remove Sugino Autex Crank Bolts?

I have a set of cranks with these installed. It seems to require a special tool
to get them off the cranks. I tried my Var adjustable pin spanner but the pins
were too large in diameter to fit in the little slots. Is there some special
tool? If so, anyone know of an inexpensive source or alternative method that
works without bunging up the cranks/bolts? Thanks. David
Old July 22nd 05, 10:36 PM

David White wrote:
I have a set of cranks with these installed. It seems to require a special tool
to get them off the cranks. I tried my Var adjustable pin spanner but the pins
were too large in diameter to fit in the little slots. Is there some special
tool? If so, anyone know of an inexpensive source or alternative method that
works without bunging up the cranks/bolts? Thanks. David

The autex kit comes with a small metal piece that has two tab that fit
in the slots and a center cut out of a 6mm allen wrench. You put the
metal part onto the 'dustcover' with the tabs in the slots then use a
6mm allen wrench to remove the cover while loosening the bolts.

You can either make one, get another Autex kit, find someone with an
extra ....

- rick

Old July 22nd 05, 10:44 PM
jtaylor

"David White" wrote in message
I have a set of cranks with these installed. It seems to require a special

tool
to get them off the cranks. I tried my Var adjustable pin spanner but the

pins
were too large in diameter to fit in the little slots. Is there some

special
tool? If so, anyone know of an inexpensive source or alternative method

that
works without bunging up the cranks/bolts? Thanks. David

Get two drill bits of the size that just fits those holes/slots.

Drill two holes in a length of steel bar, to match the holes/slots on your
crank "bolts".

Put the shanks of the drills through the holes you drilled, into the holes
in the bit you want to remove, and remove it.

Trying to find 165mm MTB crank BarryNL Techniques 7 May 26th 05 01:41 PM
KH crank play - question unigeee Unicycling 44 July 17th 04 01:22 AM
Fun fun fun Jon Senior UK 140 May 4th 04 05:14 PM
Pedal came off crank arm while riding Gordon Techniques 16 September 10th 03 12:50 PM
Crank square taper hole too large - options? Phil Holman Techniques 12 July 18th 03 02:10 AM