A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

This group



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old February 24th 19, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,000
Default This group

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 10:35:27 AM UTC, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:


URC is a forum for sad old men to moan about how cyclists don't pay road
tax, and never stop at red lights.


'bout right?


So let's reclaim the group.
In The Beginning there was this group and UK.TRANSPORT with a monthly cross group flame war. But mainly we discussed cycling issues.
Ads
  #22  
Old February 24th 19, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
RJH[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 99
Default This group

On 24/02/2019 11:41, Simon Jester wrote:
On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 10:35:27 AM UTC, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:


URC is a forum for sad old men to moan about how cyclists don't pay road
tax, and never stop at red lights.


'bout right?


So let's reclaim the group.
In The Beginning there was this group and UK.TRANSPORT with a monthly cross group flame war. But mainly we discussed cycling issues.


Just noticed there is a urc moderated. Low traffic but looks to be
civilised.

--
Cheers, Rob
  #23  
Old February 24th 19, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,114
Default This group

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 16:28:11 -0800 (PST)
Simon Jester wrote:

I ride a Dawes Karakum.

That looks remarkably similar to my utility bike, except mine has a
chromoly frame and fat (slick) 26 inch tyres.

  #25  
Old February 24th 19, 09:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,114
Default This group

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 12:49:26 +0000
RJH wrote:

Just noticed


Really?

there is a urc moderated. Low traffic but looks to be civilised.


  #26  
Old February 24th 19, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,000
Default This group

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 7:37:17 PM UTC, Rob Morley wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 16:28:11 -0800 (PST)
Simon Jester wrote:

I ride a Dawes Karakum.

That looks remarkably similar to my utility bike, except mine has a
chromoly frame and fat (slick) 26 inch tyres.


I have never used slick tyres, which is illogical because tyre tread is used to displace water and prevent aquaplaning. On a bicycle you would have to be travelling about 250mph to aquaplane.

  #27  
Old February 25th 19, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,460
Default This group

On 24/02/2019 21:37, Simon Jester wrote:

I have never used slick tyres, which is illogical because tyre tread
is used to displace water and prevent aquaplaning. On a bicycle you
would have to be travelling about 250mph to aquaplane.

I guess it gives a thicker layer of rubber without adding weight. (I
have never done an assessment of whether there is a difference in
tendency to puncture.)

Some people have the idea that tread helps with grip and the
manufacturers use it as branding.
  #28  
Old February 25th 19, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,114
Default This group

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 13:37:22 -0800 (PST)
Simon Jester wrote:

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 7:37:17 PM UTC, Rob Morley wrote:
On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 16:28:11 -0800 (PST)
Simon Jester wrote:

[...]
That looks remarkably similar to my utility bike, except mine has a
chromoly frame and fat (slick) 26 inch tyres.


I have never used slick tyres, which is illogical because tyre tread
is used to displace water and prevent aquaplaning. On a bicycle you
would have to be travelling about 250mph to aquaplane.

The Big Apple isn't a true slick, but it has large smooth areas in
between the grooves, and no lumpy bits. My 60mm Big Apples are
noticeably inadequate riding up a wet grassy slope, or cornering hard
on gravel, but they roll very nicely on a smooth road and laugh at
potholes on a less smooth road.
I used to ride 19mm slicks on my time trial bike and they also worked
well - not as pothole-proof obviously, but they zipped along in a
pleasing manner and never had any grip issues.

  #29  
Old February 25th 19, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,114
Default This group

On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 08:30:49 +0000
TMS320 wrote:

On 24/02/2019 21:37, Simon Jester wrote:

I have never used slick tyres, which is illogical because tyre tread
is used to displace water and prevent aquaplaning. On a bicycle you
would have to be travelling about 250mph to aquaplane.


I guess it gives a thicker layer of rubber without adding weight. (I
have never done an assessment of whether there is a difference in
tendency to puncture.)


Eh?

Some people have the idea that tread helps with grip and the
manufacturers use it as branding.


Off-road tread most definitely does help with grip, on-road not so
much, although with roads being so variable there are some conditions
where it will probably help. I wonder if tread doesn't make punctures
more likely by giving sharp or pointy things a corner to initially lodge
in before they work their way through the tyre.

  #30  
Old February 25th 19, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,460
Default This group

On 25/02/2019 17:06, Rob Morley wrote:
On Mon, 25 Feb 2019 08:30:49 +0000
TMS320 wrote:

On 24/02/2019 21:37, Simon Jester wrote:

I have never used slick tyres, which is illogical because tyre tread
is used to displace water and prevent aquaplaning. On a bicycle you
would have to be travelling about 250mph to aquaplane.


I guess it gives a thicker layer of rubber without adding weight. (I
have never done an assessment of whether there is a difference in
tendency to puncture.)


Eh?


If you put a certain weight of rubber over the tyre, a treadless layer
must provide a thinner layer between road and cords than a block tread.

Some people have the idea that tread helps with grip and the
manufacturers use it as branding.


Off-road tread most definitely does help with grip, on-road not so
much, although with roads being so variable there are some conditions
where it will probably help.


It is possible that a significant tread can find tarmac more easily
through a thin leaf layer than a smooth tyre. On a stable surface I
doubt tread gives any benefit.

I wonder if tread doesn't make punctures
more likely by giving sharp or pointy things a corner to initially lodge
in before they work their way through the tyre.


As I suggested above.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trade my Campy 2007 Group for your Shimano Dura -Ace Group John Berenyi Marketplace 1 August 5th 07 08:25 PM
Baka - New Group - Cult Of Baka Group Cult of Baka Moderator Techniques 1 May 25th 07 05:49 AM
Help needed!!! What kind of group is this? ~20yr Bianchi bike, Campa group. [email protected] Techniques 16 July 27th 06 07:48 PM
New to the group, looking for a local group dogfeathersvt Unicycling 0 September 21st 05 12:26 AM
FS: complete retro-group, Shimano 600 SIS group John M Marketplace 0 April 2nd 04 06:04 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.