A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » Regional Cycling » UK
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

How do councils get away with this nonsense?

Old March 12th 19, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Commander Kinsey
external usenet poster

Default How do councils get away with this nonsense?

Cyclists seem to like these new-age roads - what do you lot think of the below? And of a neighbouring road where they've actually put up signs telling cyclists to commit suicide by cycling up a one way street the other way, where drivers aren't expecting them.

------- Forwarded message -------
To: "Alan Murray"
Cc: "Gary Fraser" , "Lesley Deans" , "Suzie Hynds"
Subject: Junction at lochies Road and Port Street, Clackmannan
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 16:08:48 -0000

I can assure you they do not slow down, from any direction. If there is no give way line, why would a driver give priority? They all assume they're on the main road and the other car is on the side road. It shouldn't take an accident for you to realise how dangerous it is to let all three directions go at once. Plus, you've raised it to the level of the pavement, with no kerbs or lines, so pedestrians now have cars driving right past them with no idea where the road ends and the pavement begins. I'll be watching it aswell. When there is an accident, I'll make sure you're held liable for all damages and injuries.

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 10:40:42 -0000, Alan Murray wrote:

Dear Mr Hucker,
The junction you describe is part of a modern 'Designing Streets' engineering concept. This concept has been endorsed by the Scottish Government as the way forward when designing street layouts in 20 mph speed limit areas. The removal of regulatory road markings such as give way markings has the positive effect of making drivers slow down when attempting to negotiate the junction. If a driver perceives a junction to be potentially hazardous the likelihood is that they will take more care when negotiating the junction. This is clearly what happens at Port Street / Lochies Road. If one set of drivers was ceded priority they would be less likely to slow down when approaching the junction. We monitor all casualty accidents on our roads and in the 18 months since this road has been re-engineered, there have been no casualty accidents.
Thank you for passing on your comments as we value the perceptions of all road users whether they are drivers, pedestrians, people with disabilities or cyclists.
Regards
Alan MurrayTeam Leader Traffic & Transportation

From: "Peter Hucker" To: te: 11/03/2019 18:25Subject: Dangerous junction near Clackmannan primary school

The junction near Clackmannan primary school has recently been "upgraded" and now has no markings on the road, I assumed these just hadn't been got round to yet, but they still aren't there after a year or two. I've driven through this junction from all directions, and almost every time I encounter a car coming from another entrance, nobody knows who has priority. Could you please paint some give way lines before a child is killed? It's a t-junction of sorts, but the junction has been made so all entrances are 60 degrees from each other, so it's not clear at all who is to stop for who! I've seen cars from all three directions just driving straight through assuming I'm going to stop for them. This is a very stupidly designed junction, especially considering the kids nearby.

Ads