Ok metal wizards

Old April 18th 17, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Ok metal wizards

Could be a bike cable problem but actually a guitar string problem. In another life I repair guitars and play them. I hold a thought give I see this happen.

Guitar strings when new stretch out and eventually are at yield. Then they stay pretty stable. But I have seen guitar strings left on guitars many years never played and over time through corrosion the strings actually will pull more tension against the neck.

I base this on some observations but do I have a leg to stand on from science. I say strings start going bad, rust and corrosion cause them to be less flexible and they can start exerting more tension.

What do you think. Could apply to cables on bikes too or even chain.

Deacon Mark
Old April 18th 17, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/17/2017 8:38 PM, wrote:
Could be a bike cable problem but actually a guitar string problem. In another life I repair guitars and play them. I hold a thought give I see this happen.

Guitar strings when new stretch out and eventually are at yield. Then they stay pretty stable. But I have seen guitar strings left on guitars many years never played and over time through corrosion the strings actually will pull more tension against the neck.

I base this on some observations but do I have a leg to stand on from science. I say strings start going bad, rust and corrosion cause them to be less flexible and they can start exerting more tension.

What do you think. Could apply to cables on bikes too or even chain.

Hmm. Well, the brief answer is: no, this doesn't happen to bike parts.
Keep in mind, tension on a bike cable or chain is super low when the
bike is sitting still. And neither one comes anywhere near yield point
stress in normal operation. Even if the metal were to magically shorten
a bit, tension would barely change, because of the spring in the brake
or derailleur mechanism.

But honestly, I'm not aware of it happening to guitar strings either.
I'm a near-ex guitarist, which means I still play some, but I've mostly
switched to other instruments. The result is the strings on guitars and
mandolins get changed only very rarely, less than once per year.
(Sacrilege, I know.) I've never seen evidence that letting these
strings sit increases their tension.

The evidence would be this: If corrosion caused increased tension, the
strings would be above concert pitch when I finally took the instrument
out of the case. I haven't seen that. And in general, I think changes
in pitch are much more likely from changes in humidity affecting the
wood, than from any change in the metal itself.

Finally, I don't think the strings are normally at yield stress. I
haven't checked their numbers, but see the graph at the bottom of
http://www.noyceguitars.com/technotes/articles/t3.html

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 19th 17, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 5:54:52 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/17/2017 7:38 PM, wrote:
Could be a bike cable problem but actually a guitar string problem. In another life I repair guitars and play them. I hold a thought give I see this happen.

Guitar strings when new stretch out and eventually are at yield. Then they stay pretty stable. But I have seen guitar strings left on guitars many years never played and over time through corrosion the strings actually will pull more tension against the neck.

I base this on some observations but do I have a leg to stand on from science. I say strings start going bad, rust and corrosion cause them to be less flexible and they can start exerting more tension.

What do you think. Could apply to cables on bikes too or even chain.

I wouldn't know about guitar strings but bicycle control
cables do not stretch.

Wires do fray and corrode, heads pull off (rarely now),
casing suffers a host of maladies but wires do not stretch.

This is because they are under nothing like the forces on a guitar string. And of course they stretch a little. If you recall after mounting them and going through the gears under pressure you have to take up a turn on the adjustment.

No twisted wire - even Campy or Shimano DuraAce - are pulled tightly after being finished. So there is a slight amount of give though because of such small loading it is difficult to notice after you've been around them for awhile.

I now use only the highest grade and when first mounted I do it by eye and they work perfectly. Then after one ride you have to take a turn on the adjustment screw without fail. But the front derailleur has more spring tension on it and doesn't appear to require these adjustments.
Old April 19th 17, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 7:41:58 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/17/2017 8:38 PM, wrote:
[...]

Electric guitars have a great deal less stress on them than acoustic guitars and can be tuned once and stay that way for several weeks or even months in the case of something like a Gibson Les Paul which has absolutely NO bend in the string line. But an acoustic guitar of anything lower than top quality will bend a bit under string pressure. I have an acoustic guitar that was built by my older brother that stays in tune but it takes a crane to lift. It has the same problem as a Les Paul Custom.

I have no idea where all of my instruments went while I was under the effects of my concussion. My Rickenbacker Bass disappeared as did my Trumpet and a couple of Fenders.