Wheel Build

Old May 12th 11, 12:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
suzyj[_25_]

Default Wheel Build

On Tuesday, 10 May 2011 02:11:29 UTC+10, Andrew Price wrote:

Notwithstanding reading Jobst Brandt's book, all Sheldon's articles and an
incredibly kind and patient lesson from SuzyJ on wheel building, my first
efforts were crap.

Yeah, now I'm disappointed. See, this is my disappointed face.

Some things really are better left to machines and experts (in the sense of
people that do it all the time and inherently reliable devices).

The biggest issue I have these days with building wheels is availability of parts. I like Campy, but the only hubs they sell now as hubs are Record, and then in a very limited range of drillings.

Getting rims has also become significantly harder.

I was going to build Kristyn a set of wheels to go with her new frame, but by the time we'd priced hubs (Record), rims (open-pro) and spokes, the price was so much more than factory built wheels we just weren't able to justify it. And we would have had to do 32 spokes, which is overkill for someone who weighs ~55kg.

We ended up getting her a set of Fulcrum 3's, for a paltry $600 odd, which suit her just fine. They're quite well made for factory wheels.

FWIW, I wouldn't trust anyone at a bike shop to true or stress relieve wheels. With a couple of notable exceptions, but these are guys I know well.