Short Giraffe

Old January 17th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Short Giraffe

Before you all probably shout at me and say do a search (I'm a member
of another forum we do that a lot )

I have done a search and came up lots of stuff on Giraffes and
modifying them getting on and off them nearly everything you could
think of except what I wanted

I have been unicycling now for about 6 months I'm at about on level 4
(cant get to grips with the one footed stuff or seat out the back but
it is coming)

and would love to get my hand on a Giraffe but I don’t want a huge one
as iv read they are quite delicate and a few heavy falls can damage the
fame

What I really want is a relatively shot Giraffe something that is say 1
or 2 feet taller than a regular 20’ uni (what I'm riding right now).

I don’t particularly want to modify one I was after an of he shelf
model or something

Any help would be most appreciated was told you guys could help (bit of
buttering up never hurt lol)
Thanks

--
Mint Sauce
Mint Sauce's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11524

Old January 17th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

True, a larger giraffe MIGHT bend the frame after many many hard drops,
but it's not very common. If you treat it right it will last for years
and years. I suggest the 'Torker 5 foot giraffe'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=763), I have it and it
is sturdy at a reasonable price. You won't be sorry with it.

I'm not sure of any commercially availible mini giraffes, you'll end up
having to have something custom made.

helped change your mind!

--
forrestunifreak

'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

www.seattlebikesupply.com

Old January 17th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Inexpensive:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=763

Nicer:
http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=747

Under 5' might be hard to find, unless you search for "Penguin
unicycle" or "Penguin giraffe unicycle" on eBay and wait patiently.
Those are around 4'.

To me, 4' is so shor it doesn't look very different from a regular uni.
But a five footer is enough that it sets you apart, and makes the
average onlooker think you're ten feet tall. Plus they're a lot easier
to freemount than six footers.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

Old January 17th 06, 08:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

A torker is not happening. you will not find one in England. A nimbus
is your best bet but... i doubt you will find a giraffe under 5'.

Mike

--
swarbrim

add me at
swarbrim's Profile:
http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

Old January 18th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I would like to put in my vote for the Torker TX, they've got
super-sturdy frames, and if you intend on doing anything intensive at
all with it, you'll want that. Rolling mounts are included in this
(mine has stood up to much roll-mounting, and hasn't bent).

Also keep in mind that a giraffe won't be ridden a whole lot, they're
pretty much novelty unicycles for the most part, so you might want to
take that into consideration when buying.

As for your last question, once you're up and riding, they're actually
a little easier. Getting on is another matter until you're comfortable
with it.

Cheers
-Dave

--
flyer
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

Old January 18th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I was looking at the Torker TX do you know of any uk suplyers
i cant find any as yet
although i havent asked if they can do mail order

Old January 18th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Ah, if you're going to have to ship a unicycle a long ways... well,
let's say you might as well buy a more expensive one that's closer to
you. After re-checking the specs on the Nimbus, it looks pretty sturdy,
and it has a better (safer) system for securing the lower sprocket. I'd
say you'd be fine with either one, however more than a few bike shops
carry Torker.

Old January 18th 06, 08:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Mint Sauce wrote:
I have been unicycling now for about 6 months

That's one more of us and one less of them.

Mint Sauce wrote:
looks like i will go for the 5' Nimbus Giraffe Unicycle

I thought I'd 'save you the trouble' (http://tinyurl.com/bm3cr).

--
GILD

'three short gs and a long e-flat™'
(http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/cmp/beethoven_sym5_1.wav) - 'map'
(http://www.frappr.com/unicycleworld)
_if_i'm_murdered,_don't_execute_my_killer._
'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purp...ld-in-time.php)