newbie q: how do people lock bikes with cover on?

Old January 25th 06, 04:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default newbie q: how do people lock bikes with cover on?

Sorry about this newbie question.

Been using a bike to ride to work for many years, and have always
parked and locked my bike in our underground carpark. I have just
shifted to a new work location, however, which does not have a suitable
place to park. The only suitable place was out in the open against some
railings (the bike has to be parked side-on against the railings as
it's situated along a narrow path).

I then elected to purchase a nylon bicycle cover for those rainy times,
but quickly discovered that with the cover fully over my bike, there
was no way to lock my bike with my U-lock without having a large part
of my bike exposed to the elements. I.e. my U-lock potrudes from the
horizontal bar of my bike through the railings, and so the cover can't
go all the way down my bike (it'll be stuck at horizontal bar level,
pretty much).

I feel like I'm missing something here. How do people with bike covers
actually lock their bikes? Why don't covers specifically designed for
keeping bicycles out in the open actually have holes in the right
places for a lock to go through?

Thanks for any tips.

Old January 25th 06, 10:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle

ln0 Wrote:
[...]

Have you considering making a hole or two for the U-lock?

--
SomeGuy

Old January 26th 06, 07:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Couple of years ago we were in Montreal, Quebec. If you left your bike there
you had to remove the seat and take it with you. You had to remove the
wheels and take them with you, so all along the streets were bike frames!
Anything at all left on them that could be detached was a sitting target for
the druggies in downtown Montreal. We actually saw druggies removing the
gears !!!!!!!! brakes!!!!!! and reflectors.
My sister and bro in law both own bikes, and it was the daily ritual to pull
apart your bike. The other thing they had there were "cages" that you hired
for the day that you locked your entire bike in!!!!
Sorry a bit off topic
Kathy