Who has the best waterproof and breathable jacket?

Old February 16th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Who has the best waterproof and breathable jacket?

I am looking for something waterproof and BREATHABLE! Is this possible? I
just went through the old postings on google and many said the gore tex is
not worth it. You will get wet inside. I don't care about the warmthness of
it. I can layer. I want something for getting caught in a bad rain. I don't
want to be soaked inside though because obviously we are cycling. Does
anyone make a good rain jacket that is breathable? I don't mind spending
around $150 if the product is made well. I have always liked P Izumi's
clothing. Do they make a good breathable rain jacket? thanks all

Old February 16th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

chris c wrote:
I am looking for something waterproof and BREATHABLE! Is this
possible? I just went through the old postings on google and many
said the gore tex is not worth it.

I am not a connoisseur of gore tex, but I have one of these jackets and it
is probably my favorite piece of clothing, period. It is made of REI's
gore-tex clone. These fabrics do require extra care, and I understand that
they don't last forever, but I can't imagine doing without it.

I wear a light wicking layer underneath, which takes care of moisture. I
don't exactly seek out heavy rain, and I suppose in a real monsoon the
jacket would not be able to breath, but the times I have been caught in
storms this get-up has worked perfectly (not so protection for head and
feet). Not comfortable for much over 60 degrees F., though.

I'd get one that is just a shell (you can layer) with plenty of vents and
zips to regulate internal temp and moisture, and design features like
adjustable cuffs and zipper guards to prevent water infiltration.

I think this stuff is great. Does anyone have a better alternative?

Old February 16th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"chris c" I am looking for something waterproof and BREATHABLE! Is this
possible? I
just went through the old postings on google and many said the gore tex is
not worth it. You will get wet inside. I don't care about the warmthness
of
it. I can layer. I want something for getting caught in a bad rain. I
don't
want to be soaked inside though because obviously we are cycling. Does
anyone make a good rain jacket that is breathable? I don't mind spending
around $150 if the product is made well. I have always liked P Izumi's
clothing. Do they make a good breathable rain jacket? thanks all

I have the last year's Pearl Izumi waterproof jacket and took it on a tour
to Ireland. Out of 11 days riding, we got rained on 3 days (hard rain, too).
As I had been told that I would get wet on the inside from sweating, I
unzipped the pit zips quite a bit. The jacket was great! It's not Gore-Tex,
but it worked like it is supposed to and the rain did not come in through
the open pit zips, either. Another thing that was good about it is that it
was a terrific windbreaker. The only drawback I have for their jacket is the
lack of pockets. What is it about Pearl Izumi and pockets anyway? I have
their Zephrr jacket and it doesn't have pockets, either. I am talking about
their 2005 jacket. I understand they have changed it slightly for 2006, so I
don't have any feedback on that one. I used a shower cap over my h*lm*t and
that worked great, too.

Pat in TX

Old February 16th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

chris c wrote:
I am looking for something waterproof and BREATHABLE!

Anything waterproof is only minimally breathable. For heavy or cold
wet, I use a waterproof shell. For light rain or snow, I use an REI
breathable poly jacket with DWR (durable water repellant) coating on
it.

If it's hot and raining, I just get wet -- it's not like I'll melt or
anything.

RFM

Old February 16th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:00:07 +0000, chris c wrote:

I am looking for something waterproof and BREATHABLE! Is this possible?
I just went through the old postings on google and many said the gore
tex is not worth it. You will get wet inside. I don't care about the
warmthness of it. I can layer. I want something for getting caught in a
bad rain. I don't want to be soaked inside though because obviously we
are cycling. Does anyone make a good rain jacket that is breathable? I
don't mind spending around $150 if the product is made well. I have
always liked P Izumi's clothing. Do they make a good breathable rain
jacket? thanks all

No waterproof/breathable fabric is breathable enough for athletic cycling.
If you're riding briskly, there will always be condensation inside. So
it's a compromise between dampness from the inside, and being merely damp
or completely soaked from the outside. In light rain, mist, fog, etc., a
normal windbreaker can be drier because it breathes better. But in a real
downpour you need a truly waterproof fabric to prevent being soaked from
the outside. This can make you cold, perhaps dangerously so.

When you need absolute waterproofness, get a jacket that ventilates well
-- with double zippers, pit zips, back vents, sleeves that open or push
up, etc. Waterproof/breathable fabric cannot do the job by itself.
However, the best designed rain jackets are usually made from
waterproof/breathable fabric anyway. Another consideration is
packability. Will the rolled-up jacket fit in your seatbag or jersey
pocket?

Showers Pass jackets are well regarded. Some of my friends have them and
they're very nice. The Patagonia one I have is almost as good, but
was much cheaper on sale. Burley probably makes the best hardcore rain
gear, but it doesn't pack as well. The clear plastic jackets racers
wear are fine if they have enough vents. Some do, some don't. But you
can get them for $15, or less.

Matt O.
Old February 16th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I forgot to mention , I will be doing mostly 20 mile rides (to work ) and
that is one way. I will try to ride as cold as possible. I did 40's last
year, but we moved now.

Old February 17th 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

chris c wrote:
. I did 40's last year, but we moved now.

Much below freezing and you don't have to worry about wet so much :-)

In fact, I prefer 15 degrees F over riding in 30-40 degrees F when
there's precipitation because it's so much drier.

RFM

Old February 17th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

chris c wrote:
I am looking for something waterproof and BREATHABLE! Is this possible? I
just went through the old postings on google and many said the gore tex is
not worth it. You will get wet inside. I don't care about the warmthness of
it. I can layer. I want something for getting caught in a bad rain. I don't
want to be soaked inside though because obviously we are cycling. Does
anyone make a good rain jacket that is breathable? I don't mind spending
around $150 if the product is made well. I have always liked P Izumi's
clothing. Do they make a good breathable rain jacket? thanks all

This is claimed to allow dry cycling in any weather:
http://www.leitra.dk/.

--
Tom Sherman

Old February 17th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:05:28 -0600, "Pat in TX"
wrote:

[...]

I have a Cannondale windbreaker and I love it but there are no pockets
where you would put your hands. There is one in the back and one sort
of over the heart - both zippered. It is getting pretty dirty and
nothing seems to get it clean.
Old February 17th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

In article . com,
"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" writes:

chris c wrote:
I am looking for something waterproof and BREATHABLE! Is this possible? I
just went through the old postings on google and many said the gore tex is
not worth it. You will get wet inside. I don't care about the warmthness of
it. I can layer. I want something for getting caught in a bad rain. I don't
want to be soaked inside though because obviously we are cycling. Does
anyone make a good rain jacket that is breathable? I don't mind spending
around $150 if the product is made well. I have always liked P Izumi's
clothing. Do they make a good breathable rain jacket? thanks all

This is claimed to allow dry cycling in any weather:
http://www.leitra.dk/.

My cycling rain poncho (+ knee-high gaiters + helmet cover + fenders
w/ mudflaps + toeclip covers made from strips of inner tube) is easier
to push through the basement door. It's cheaper, too. And it doesn't
necessitate my bike having too many wheels.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Cheap jacket? Must be waterproof and windproof... Random UK 3 December 26th 05 11:28 PM
Waterproof jacket - advice sought Tom Anderson UK 14 May 23rd 05 11:02 PM
Cycling jacket Brad General 7 September 11th 04 06:18 AM
waterproof cycling jacket bpr General 19 April 24th 04 03:34 PM
Breathable cycling jacket recommendations...? Simon Hawthorne UK 5 January 20th 04 09:59 PM