8-speed shifter with 9-speed rear derailleur?

Old December 31st 03, 06:54 PM
Patrick Shea

Default 8-speed shifter with 9-speed rear derailleur?

Is it possible to use 8-speed Ultegra STI levers with a 9-speed
Ultegra rear derailluer?
Old December 31st 03, 09:47 PM
Tom Kunich

"Patrick Shea" wrote in message
om...
Is it possible to use 8-speed Ultegra STI levers with a 9-speed
Ultegra rear derailluer?

No. The throw of the lever is different than that of the rear
derailleur.

Old December 31st 03, 10:21 PM
Dan Daniel

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 21:47:43 GMT, "Tom Kunich"
wrote:

"Patrick Shea" wrote in message
. com...
Is it possible to use 8-speed Ultegra STI levers with a 9-speed
Ultegra rear derailluer?

No. The throw of the lever is different than that of the rear
derailleur.

?? Is the original question about using an 8-speed cluster, an 8-speed
STI lever, and a 9-speed derailleur? If so, then the so-called 9-speed
derailleur will work fine, won't it? I thought that all Shimano rear
derailleurs were now basically interchangeable when it comes to
indexing.

Old January 1st 04, 12:39 AM
Tom Kunich

wrote:

"Patrick Shea" wrote in message
. com...
Is it possible to use 8-speed Ultegra STI levers with a 9-speed
Ultegra rear derailluer?

No. The throw of the lever is different than that of the rear
derailleur.

?? Is the original question about using an 8-speed cluster, an

8-speed
STI lever, and a 9-speed derailleur? If so, then the so-called

9-speed
derailleur will work fine, won't it? I thought that all Shimano rear
derailleurs were now basically interchangeable when it comes to
indexing.

If I understand it correctly (and I'm pretty certain I do since I have
all of this sort of mix) the 9-speed levers are designed to work with
an 8-speed DuraAce rear derailleur throw. I've used 9-speed levers and
a DuraAce 8-speed rear derailleur and it works fine. But it doesn't
work with any other Shimano because the throw used to be unique to
DuraAce.

Now all of the 9-speed Shimano is compatable.

Remember that the 9-speed cog spacing and the 8-speed cog spacing is
different.

Now after all of this is said and done, I've seen people here write
that some combination works fine together that I have tried and didn't
even get close to working.

As far as I know, using standard spacing the only thing that will work
with a standard 8-speed cogset and an Ultegra rar derailleur is any
Shimano 8-speed levers EXCEPT DuraAce.

If you have a 9-speed cogset and 9-speed levers and an old Ultegra
derailleur it MAY work but will probaby not shift properly over
several cogs.

Old January 1st 04, 12:41 AM
Tom Kunich

Whoops, after re-reading it I see that he has a standard 8-speed setup
and wants to use a 9-speed rear derailleur. I don't think this works.
I understand that you can replace the cog spacers and get it to work.

Old January 1st 04, 01:08 AM
Dan Daniel

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 00:39:06 GMT, "Tom Kunich"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

From your reading, it follows basically.

But.... the OP mentions *Ultegra* STI levers, not Dura-Ace. And a
'9-speed' Ultegra derailleur. They don't mention if they want to
shift over 8 or 9 cogs. Without that information, either one of us
could be right.

If they want to shift a 9-speed cassette, then they should read what
you wrote.

If they want to shift an 8-speed cassette (not Dura-Ace cassette? I'm
not certain), then the levers and derailleurs will work fine.
Old January 1st 04, 02:14 AM
Tom Kunich

I just looked at Sheldon Brown at
http://www.sheldonbrown.org/dura-ace.html and it has a chart showing
that you are correct. However, you have to use "Alternate Cable
Routing" which is illustrated.

Should have just referred him there in the first place.

Old January 1st 04, 04:14 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Is it possible to use 8-speed Ultegra STI levers with a 9-speed
Ultegra rear derailluer?

Absolutely. Everything but older DuraAce (8-speed and prior) is
cross-compatible. It's possible you could run into trouble using a current
9-speed derailleur with a really wide chain, but there's certainly no
problem using a 9-speed Ultegra derailleur with any 8-speed Shimano STI
system (with the exception, as mentioned, of DuraAce).

Just to confuse things a bit, new DuraAce is compatible with the non-DuraAce
equipment. The only orphan out there is the 6, 7 & 8-speed DuraAce
equipment.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old January 1st 04, 09:32 PM
Rocketman

"Tom Kunich" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Patrick Shea" wrote in message
om...
Is it possible to use 8-speed Ultegra STI levers with a 9-speed
Ultegra rear derailluer?

No. The throw of the lever is different than that of the rear
derailleur.

BZZZT! Wrong. It works fine. The ratio is the same as always, just
different cog spacing.

I've been using Shimano 8-speed shifters with Shimano "Mega 9" rear
derailleurs for years on many different bikes. I've had zero compatibility
problems. Even 7-speed shifters work fine with Mega 9 derailleurs.

Now, Mega 9 *front* derailleurs may have some issues with the slightly wider
7/8 speed chains; but the chromed steel derailleur cages can be bent
slightly to compensate. It's no big deal.

Rocketman