Horst link bending forces

Old February 5th 18, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Horst link bending forces

On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 01:26:10 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:

FWIW, the fork that broke on our tandem was
Reynolds 531.

BTW I've heard that number (531) doesn't
specify some property of the steel but is
a designation/name so one can refer to
the product.

531 is a specific alloy which the maker has probably legally protected
so that no one else can use the name.

For that matter most metal designations, even if not copyrighted, are
only general designations for the main alloying element.
If you talk about chrome-molly steel, for example you are actually
talking about the SAE 41xx family of alloys which may contain from
0.40 - 0.90% Chromium and 0.08 - 0.65% Molybdenum, among other
elements with a maximum strength of from

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 5th 18, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

531 is a specific alloy which the maker has
probably legally protected so that no one
else can use the name.

This seems to be very common in the chemical
product industry as well, with CRC 5-56, WD-40,
CHF 11S, and so on. I suppose they made small
changes and were fiddling with the exact
constitution until they got it just right?
WD-40 is perhaps attempt 40 just like
a computer program has version x.y.z for
major.minor.patch revise number.

As for materials, aluminium/aluminum 6061-T6 is
another "alloy designation" I'm aware of...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old February 5th 18, 07:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 05 Feb 2018 04:02:12 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

531 is a specific alloy which the maker has
probably legally protected so that no one
else can use the name.

This seems to be very common in the chemical
product industry as well, with CRC 5-56, WD-40,
CHF 11S, and so on. I suppose they made small
changes and were fiddling with the exact
constitution until they got it just right?
WD-40 is perhaps attempt 40 just like
a computer program has version x.y.z for
major.minor.patch revise number.

I think it is pretty much a fact of modern life. Try build and selling
a Mercedes automobile :-) Or even labeling something as "Made in
U.S.A."

As for materials, aluminium/aluminum 6061-T6 is
another "alloy designation" I'm aware of...

I'd hope that you would be aware of 6061 aluminum alloy. It was first
introduced in 1935 :-) "6061" refers to the alloy while "T6" refers to
the "temper" and is the strongest of the 6061 group.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 5th 18, 02:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/4/2018 9:02 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. wrote:

531 is a specific alloy which the maker has
probably legally protected so that no one
else can use the name.

This seems to be very common in the chemical
product industry as well, with CRC 5-56, WD-40,
CHF 11S, and so on. I suppose they made small
changes and were fiddling with the exact
constitution until they got it just right?
WD-40 is perhaps attempt 40 just like
a computer program has version x.y.z for
major.minor.patch revise number.

As for materials, aluminium/aluminum 6061-T6 is
another "alloy designation" I'm aware of...

6061 is a material, T6 is a tempered (rapid aging) hardness
state.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old February 5th 18, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-02-04 16:46, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/4/2018 7:26 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

FWIW, the fork that broke on our tandem was
Reynolds 531.

BTW I've heard that number (531) doesn't
specify some property of the steel but is
a designation/name so one can refer to
the product.

Yes. It's the name given by the Reynolds company to a particular alloy
of their steel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_531

And here I thought they made cigarettes ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old February 5th 18, 04:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

I think it is pretty much a fact of modern
life. Try build and selling a Mercedes
automobile :-) Or even labeling something as
"Made in U.S.A."

This brings up the question, when you say
a bike is from some year, or some country, what
exactly does this refer to?

With a brand, it is easy, but with the actual
product I mean?

Perhaps, in the order of relative weight to the
answer,

1. frame and fork

2. wheels

3. contact points (bar, saddle, pedals)

4. components?

Design? Only if it is in any way radical or
have any groundbreaking ideas or concepts.

As for point (1) and the Crescent case, what if
the tubes and lugs are from one place, only
wielded someplace else? I'd say the material
gets the upper hand in such cases.

For example, they put together Nishiki bikes in
Gothenburg from Japanese (or Taiwanese most
likely) material. I would consider such a bike
Taiwanese, Japanese, and Swedish as a very
distant third, assuming it was actually put
together in Gothenburg and not entirely in
Taiwan or some other part of the world.

Old February 5th 18, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/5/2018 10:23 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. wrote:

[...]

Nishiki may be a poor example. That's a US brand, frames
made by Kawamura in Osaka with components various Japanese
suppliers. It's considered a Japanese bicycle. If they
licensed the name to someone in Gothenburg I am unaware of that.

A complete bike is normally attributed to the framebuilder,
that is, a classic Masi frame(Milano built with British tube
& French lugs) sold in Chicago and assembled with Dura Ace
is considered an Italian bicycle.

Similarly this is a 1923 Ford, Chevy 468 big block
notwithstanding:
http://newoldcar.com/images/Featured...%20Rod%201.JPG

To your question, Crescent are Swedish bicycles even (or
especially) when built with Reynolds tube.

Old February 5th 18, 08:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

Nishiki may be a poor example. That's a US
brand, frames made by Kawamura in Osaka with
components various Japanese suppliers.
It's considered a Japanese bicycle. If they
licensed the name to someone in Gothenburg
I am unaware of that.

I think what they do is put everything on
complete frames. So this is consistent with
your below definition, only I thought it wasn't
Japan anymore but Taiwan who were
the framebuilders.

A complete bike is normally attributed to the
framebuilder, that is, a classic Masi
frame(Milano built with British tube & French
lugs) sold in Chicago and assembled with Dura
Ace is considered an Italian bicycle.

Right, excellent.

Old February 5th 18, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2/5/2018 2:30 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

Nishiki may be a poor example. That's a US
brand, frames made by Kawamura in Osaka with
components various Japanese suppliers.
It's considered a Japanese bicycle. If they
licensed the name to someone in Gothenburg
I am unaware of that.

I think what they do is put everything on
complete frames. So this is consistent with
your below definition, only I thought it wasn't
Japan anymore but Taiwan who were
the framebuilders.

A complete bike is normally attributed to the
framebuilder, that is, a classic Masi
frame(Milano built with British tube & French
lugs) sold in Chicago and assembled with Dura
Ace is considered an Italian bicycle.

Right, excellent.

My mistake, sorry. I forgot there is a current 'Nishiki',
several owners removed from the original organization.

Old February 5th 18, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

Nishiki may be a poor example. That's a US
brand, frames made by Kawamura in Osaka
with components various Japanese suppliers.
It's considered a Japanese bicycle. If they
licensed the name to someone in Gothenburg
I am unaware of that.

I think what they do is put everything on
complete frames. So this is consistent with
your below definition, only I thought it
wasn't Japan anymore but Taiwan who were
the framebuilders.

A complete bike is normally attributed to
the framebuilder, that is, a classic Masi
frame(Milano built with British tube &
French lugs) sold in Chicago and assembled
with Dura Ace is considered an
Italian bicycle.

Right, excellent.

My mistake, sorry. I forgot there is
a current 'Nishiki', several owners removed
from the original organization.

OK, here [1] is an article of their history,
in Swedish.

There is no mention how they get/do (?) their
frames today. There is no mention of Taiwan or
carbon but one mention of Japan:

... märket har sina rötter i Kobe i Japan
och [...] historien om det svenska Nishiki
började redan 1981 på företaget Kawamura
med import av landsvägsramar ...

which, in a poor-man's translation, is:

the brand has its roots in Kobe in Japan
and the history of Swedish Nishiki started
back in 1981 at the company Kawamura with
the import of road bike frames

[1] http://www.nishiki.se/om-nishiki/var-historia