Rear derailleur help

Old September 17th 18, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Rear derailleur help

I am trying to change the gearing on a beloved seventies 6/7 speed. I would like to use a 50-34 compact crankset but stick with a 6 or 7 speed freewheel in back so I don't have to change wheels and spread the frame. I need rear derailleur ideas that could handle a 30T capacity and a 28T rear cog. Do you have any suggestions? A website suggested the Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed derailleur, but when I tried this model, it doesn't work, even with substituting longer adjustment screws there was too much travel toward the spokes. Thanks.
Old September 17th 18, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/16/2018 6:11 PM, wrote:
I am trying to change the gearing on a beloved seventies 6/7 speed. I would like to use a 50-34 compact crankset but stick with a 6 or 7 speed freewheel in back so I don't have to change wheels and spread the frame. I need rear derailleur ideas that could handle a 30T capacity and a 28T rear cog. Do you have any suggestions? A website suggested the Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed derailleur, but when I tried this model, it doesn't work, even with substituting longer adjustment screws there was too much travel toward the spokes. Thanks.

With friction shifters a Veloce long cage should shift well.
You do need a longer low gear screw (m4x0.7) but you can
buy one for pennies at any hardware store.

Ensure derailleur is vertical (cage parallel to chainrings),
ensure chain length is adequate and then shift firmly with
your thumb like this:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/gearchek.jpg
so you know absolutely that the chain will not shift off the
back of your low gear sprocket.

The low gear limit is the one on the left. You can see its
function by looking up from under the changer. Once the
shifter is adjusted properly, connect the gear wire. Have
another go, you just missed something.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 17th 18, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 4:37:42 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/16/2018 6:11 PM, wrote:
[...]

Andrew, the springs that are supposed to hold the limit screws in place are likely not to be long enough. I have tried to use Blue Locktite but can't get it to work like the stuff on many factory parts. Looking at these parts it appears that you have to put a single drop of the blue onto the screw and to let it dry for about an hour before using it. But instead of getting a tighter screw fit the damn things always are way too tight. And it's hard to get a single drop at a time from the tube. Hard you got some hints about this?
Old September 18th 18, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

I doubt very much that a drop of typical Loctite thread locker will ever
dry on a screw. As I understand things, it's an anaerobic adhesive, and
its solidification is triggered by the presence of metal ions AND the
absence of air. http://instantca.com/articles/anaerobic-adhesives/

Now Loctite has dozens of products, including many intended for
industrial use instead of consumer use. I don't doubt they make a
compound to pre-apply to screws that does turn solid. But that's not the
stuff normally sold in stores.

If you find out different, let me know.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 18th 18, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

wrote:
: I am trying to change the gearing on a beloved seventies 6/7 speed. I would like to use a 50-34 compact crankset but stick with a 6 or 7 speed freewheel in back so I don't have to change wheels and spread the frame. I need rear derailleur ideas that could handle a 30T capacity and a 28T rear cog. Do you have any suggestions? A website suggested the Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed derailleur, but when I tried this model, it doesn't work, even with substituting longer adjustment screws there was too much travel toward the spokes. Thanks.
:
:
[...]
: --
[...]

No, you're right. The preapplied stuff is called 'Dri-loc'. It's not
really available outside of industrial sales channels, and not even
readily there (neitther mcmaster nor fastenal list it, for instance).
there's a pre assembly tape that's somewhat more available.

--
sig 95
Old September 18th 18, 07:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 9/16/2018 6:11 PM, wrote:
[...]

Put on the Loctite 243 (blue stuff) and take a paper towel and wipe the access off. There only have to be some loctite in the valleys of threads of the screw. It doesn't dry/harden in open air, it only hardens when you put in the screw. Works well.

Lou
Old September 18th 18, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/17/2018 9:20 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/17/2018 3:58 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 4:37:42 PM UTC-7, AMuzi
wrote:
On 9/16/2018 6:11 PM,
wrote:
[...]

Yes, that's right.
In practice, a drop of Blue on a screw will set in a few
hours once the threads are engaged (anaerobic). Alternately
for a simple low-force application like gear limit screws, a
drop of tubular cement works as well. Either may be turned
later as needed.

Old September 18th 18, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 18/09/18 23:58, AMuzi wrote:

Yes, that's right.
In practice, a drop of Blue on a screw will set in a few hours once the
threads are engaged (anaerobic). Alternately for a simple low-force
application like gear limit screws, a drop of tubular cement works as
well. Either may be turned later as needed.

I wonder whether a few wraps of cotton thread would have a similar effect?

--
JS
Old September 18th 18, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

Now that's what I needed to know. Thanks David. I assumed that it was just red for the original and blue for the Dri-loc.

Suntour rear derailleur that has no derailleur hanger Postman Delivers[_3_] Techniques 19 March 25th 12 09:47 PM
FA: SRAM X9 SHIFTERS & REAR DERAILLEUR W SHIMANO DEORE XT FRONT DERAILLEUR ottodog Marketplace 0 August 27th 06 02:45 AM
FA:05 CAMPY CAMPAGNOLO REAR 10 SPEED REAR DERAILLEUR LIKE NEW NR $.99 ottodog Marketplace 0 August 24th 06 03:50 AM
Help, rear derailleur LSMike UK 5 July 25th 05 03:43 PM
FS: XTR 953 sgs rear derailleur B Marketplace 0 December 9th 04 05:15 PM