Rock n Roll Lubes

Old January 14th 04, 03:22 AM
Michael Dart

Default Rock n Roll Lubes

In ,
M Brundage typed:
I'm working on a bottle of Ice Wax right now and like the way it
sheds water and doesn't attract dirt. Oil based lubes shed water
well enough but act like a magnet for grit. Does Extra Dry have an
advantage over Ice Wax ?

I haven't tried Ice Wax. I'm not sold on wax based lubes for mtbing
based on my experience with them. My drivetrain always sounded like
a cage full of finches by the end of ride. They may be better now
but I've had excellent results with the Extra Dry oil based lube and
see no reason to try something else. A friend of mine uses Ice Wax
and has to apply it before every ride. I clean the chain (run it
through a rag) and apply a drop of Extra Dry to each roller and wipe
off the excess every week or so. I live on the east coast and ride
in wet conditions frequently.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. I destroyed a chain when on vacation in Michigan last
summer. The soil on the trails I was riding was fine sand so I'm
trying to find something to use there this year that will shed the
sand. If there is such an animal. By the end of our 3 week vacation
there you could feel the sand in the rollers when you held the chain
in your hands and turned each link. A small price to pay for the
enjoyment of riding in those piney hills I guess.

I'll give Extra Dry a try when the Wax is gone.

Well, sand's gonna be a drivetrain killer no matter what. Just don't lube
your chain right before the ride whatever you use. Let it sit overnight and
wipe off the excess in the morning before you go. I killed a chain in one
race at a sandy motocross course by putting lube on before I started.

Mike

Old January 14th 04, 05:19 AM
miles todd

Mark (UK) wrote:

I'm about to get a new bottle of winter chain lube. Was going to go with
Finish Line XC again, but have heard good things about Rock n Roll Extreme.

It works out about £1 more than finish line for equivalent volume, but I
will give it a go if there are advantages. Has anyone tried extreme? How
does it compare to Finish Line for UK winter conditions? I've heard its
meant to be less sticky and less attractive to muck.

On a related note, anyone tried Rock n Roll Cablemagic lube? Just hype?

Any comments appreciated!

For wet, muddy conditions use Phil Oil. It is the best. Here in sunny
Southern California, as Slacker mentioned, we really don't have those
conditions at all, but when I lived in the Pacific NorthWet I swore by
Phil Oil.

Miles

Old January 14th 04, 02:26 PM
Shaun Rimmer

"miles todd" wrote in message

Mark (UK) wrote:

I'm about to get a new bottle of winter chain lube. Was going to go with
Finish Line XC again, but have heard good things about Rock n Roll

Extreme.

It works out about £1 more than finish line for equivalent volume, but I
will give it a go if there are advantages. Has anyone tried extreme? How
does it compare to Finish Line for UK winter conditions? I've heard its
meant to be less sticky and less attractive to muck.

On a related note, anyone tried Rock n Roll Cablemagic lube? Just hype?

Any comments appreciated!

For wet, muddy conditions use Phil Oil. It is the best. Here in sunny
Southern California, as Slacker mentioned, we really don't have those
conditions at all, but when I lived in the Pacific NorthWet I swore by
Phil Oil.

The best ever wet and muddy (English conditions) lube, is well rendered
mutton dripping. It's also ideal for greasing crank tapers (what I used when
I fittedededed mine).

--
Shaun aRe®T©