Record - Chorus - Hubs - Pete? :-)

Old April 12th 05, 05:10 PM
MSA

Default Record - Chorus - Hubs - Pete? :-)

I'm guessing Pete may be able to offer advice on this?

I'm just about to purchase a hand built set of wheels, Campy hubs, Open
Pro rims (my second pair). Checking out the prices and specs of hubs I
see there is about a £25 difference between Chorus and Record. Record
is a few grams lighter (insignificant amount), they have grease ports
and the pawls are titanium...is that about it?

Lower group than Chorus and the weight starts going up, so I'm keeping
my choice between Record and Chorus. My Winter hack/commuter bike has
Mavic Open Pro/Record/Sapim, the new set will be used mainly for
training in the dry (200-300 miles per week). Is Record worth the extra
money?

Ta all!

--
Mark

Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull before
Old April 12th 05, 06:10 PM
Pete Biggs

MSA wrote:
I'm guessing Pete may be able to offer advice on this?

Hi Mark :-)

I'm just about to purchase a hand built set of wheels, Campy hubs,
Open Pro rims (my second pair). Checking out the prices and specs of
hubs I see there is about a £25 difference between Chorus and Record.
Record is a few grams lighter (insignificant amount), they have
grease ports and the pawls are titanium...is that about it?

That is about it. Record also have fancier QR skewers and a 28h option
(as well as 32 & 36h). The rest come in 32 & 36h only.

Lower group than Chorus and the weight starts going up, so I'm keeping
my choice between Record and Chorus. My Winter hack/commuter bike has
Mavic Open Pro/Record/Sapim, the new set will be used mainly for
training in the dry (200-300 miles per week). Is Record worth the
extra money?

You could also consider Centaur hubs they're almost exactly the same as
Chorus's. They're only a few grams heavier due to different skewers
again. Only other difference is the bearing adjustment collars which are
plastic and require a screwdriver instead of allen key. But I reckon it's
worth paying the extra few quid for Chorus when you can -- very nice to
use.

I'd say Records are only worth the money if you've got loads of it, or
wanted 28h, or could find some heavily discounted ones (not that they ever
are!). I opted for Chorus hubs for my road bike. I'm not sure I'd want
to use grease ports even if I had them.

~PB

Old April 12th 05, 06:24 PM
Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs wrote:

Lower group than Chorus and the weight starts going up

ps. That's generally true with the rest of the components but hubs are an
exception as Centaur's are much, much closer in design to Chorus than
Veloce. It's the other way round for calipers and crank arms, for
examples.

~PB

Old April 12th 05, 06:24 PM
MSA

Pete Biggs wrote:
MSA wrote:

[...]

Wow, 60 minutes and there you are :-)

That's pretty much the way I was going to go. I have pumped grease into
the Record ones, but only when I'm doing something on the wheel and
remember! The wheelbuilder I will use (Ribble, great price, great
wheels built for me before) only offer a 32h option, so 28 is not a
consideration...not that I'm going to win more races by saving the
weight of 8 spokes!

I like my Records, but I think Chorus offer pretty much the same
functionality and quality...that's it, I've decided!

Cheers Pete, oh Campag guru, London's very own Peter Chisholm :-)

Old April 12th 05, 06:26 PM
Pete Biggs

I wrote:

Pete Biggs wrote:

No, I didn't actually.

I'll now stop talking to myself and get me gilet ;-)

~PB

Old April 13th 05, 10:01 AM
Arthur Clune

MSA wrote:

: That's pretty much the way I was going to go. I have pumped grease into
: the Record ones, but only when I'm doing something on the wheel and
: remember!

I've gone for the Record ones, just for the grease port. I will actually
put grease into the grease port while I don't normally take the wheels
apart and grease them in the way I should.

Arthur

Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes
Old April 13th 05, 02:47 PM
Pete Biggs

Arthur Clune wrote:
MSA wrote:

That's pretty much the way I was going to go. I have pumped grease
into the Record ones, but only when I'm doing something on the wheel
and remember!

I've gone for the Record ones, just for the grease port. I will
actually put grease into the grease port while I don't normally take
the wheels apart and grease them in the way I should.

Apparently, some of the grease injected into the rear port ends up in the
pawls. It's not a good idea to clog up that area.

~PB

Old April 13th 05, 02:49 PM
Arthur Clune

Pete Biggs wrote:

: Apparently, some of the grease injected into the rear port ends up in the
: pawls. It's not a good idea to clog up that area.

It makes the wheel much, much quieter though! I've never had any problems
doing this, and I don't think it can be that much of a problem - after all,
how long have Campag hubs had grease ports.

Old April 13th 05, 04:24 PM
Pete Biggs

Arthur Clune wrote:

Apparently, some of the grease injected into the rear port ends up
in the pawls. It's not a good idea to clog up that area.

It makes the wheel much, much quieter though! I've never had any
problems doing this, and I don't think it can be that much of a
problem - after all, how long have Campag hubs had grease ports.

Much longer than they've had cassette hubs.

I don't know how often it's a problem but suddenly loosing drive is a
potentially very serious problem, and that's been known to happen. I love
my loud freewheel. Less noise means there's something stopping the pawls
working as they should. The pawl springs aren't all that strong (they
don't normally need to be) so it doesn't take very much to stop them
clicking back into place.

~PB