New FAQ topic - bike noise checklist/brake squeal

Old July 21st 03, 07:17 AM
ant

Default New FAQ topic - bike noise checklist/brake squeal

Howdy. It seems like everyday there is a new post about a frustrating
bike creak/tick/knock, and every other day a frustrating squealing
brake. The FAQ doesnt have much in teh way of practical advice here.

Yes, I know that it always boils down to 'find every possible
interface, starting with the big ones, and grease and tighten them',
but everyone always has such good things to say.

I would like to compile two new FAQ entries. Or actually, one new
entry on bike noise diagnosis, and an addition to the technical entry
on brake squeal. Would you help? If you post your weird bike noise,
and how you fixed it, ill compile a complete list and make it
coherent. any other thoguhts you have on the matter woudl be good too.
the more detail the better.

i know some, and have nailed quite a few noises in my time, but the
cumulative knolegde of this group out-diagnoses me a 100 to 1. things
to prod your electronic pen:

-what differentiates a tick, knock, or creak. causes.
-metal-metal combinations that are known for creaking and what to do
(Ti spindles, etc)
-priorities. what to check first
-weird noises that one might never think to check, like plastic/rail
interface in saddle and crossed spokes, etc

same for brake squeal. the current faq has a good technical article,
and words on toe in and rim machining/roughening. hwoever, ive heard
many good things about certain pads, certain brakes being predisposed,
certain combinations, certain riding habits that bring about squeal,
and an additional word on how to take care of disc squeal would be in
order, I think.

help me out? just take a sec to throw something onto the group, ill
write it all up in a week. i know that everything is all in the
archives somewhere, but sifting through hundreds and hundreds and
hundreds of redundant posts wont make this project go faster.

thanks,

anthony (who hopes there isnt an article covering all this in the faq
that he missed)
Old July 21st 03, 08:13 AM
A Muzi

"ant" wrote in message
om...
[...]

One more common noise nowadays is an unlubricated derailleur pulley bushing.
Shimano ceramic sleeves whine at a different pitch than the steel ones.
Steel pulley sleeves exhibit a remarkably bright red rust, not brown . A
small amount of either grease or oil cures that. You'll need to disassemble
each pulley as the dust covers keep oil (but not water!) out.

Shimano left side hub rubber seals found on the MTB series can also moan
when dry. The boot stays on the axle spacer and drags lightly on the
hubshell. A drop of oil quiets them.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old July 21st 03, 11:10 AM
gmaker

ant wrote:

same for brake squeal. the current faq has a good technical article,
and words on toe in and rim machining/roughening. hwoever, ive heard
many good things about certain pads, certain brakes being predisposed,
certain combinations, certain riding habits that bring about squeal,
and an additional word on how to take care of disc squeal would be in
order, I think.

When you have tried every toe in angle and every available pad color but
the pain will not go away::::

-Observe the wheel from above in very good light.
-Very slowly apply brakes.
-Carefully check if the wheel deflects slightly in one direction
as a result of one pad applying more force than the other just_when_
they_ hit.

This can happen even though the pad standoff appears equal and the pads
seem to move evenly.
..... adjust pads to stop this.