So tired of cars driving in the bike lane.

Old December 2nd 14, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default So tired of cars driving in the bike lane.

Funny, but it could have been tragic if it had been a weekend when that
sidewalk is open to bicycles (on weekdays cyclists have to share the
east sidewalk with pedestrians).

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/12/02/golden-gate-bridge-ax-daniel-soto/

I've been at that spot many times. There is a parking lot at the end and
I guess I can see how someone who is drunk could get confused.
Old December 2nd 14, 07:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

San Francisco is a city with more traffic than road space. Not only does that mean that cars have to share the road with cyclists but that you have to share the road with them. For every stupid annoying driver I've seen in SF I've see three cyclists worse.

As a rule I've ridden in extremely heavy traffic in town and have wondered at how conditions could be that bad and yet the majority of drivers that polite.

Are things perfect? No, but try riding on the east end of Sacramento where they think that bicycles are toys that belong on the sidewalk and don't mind pushing them there.
Old December 2nd 14, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:01:52 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
Funny, but it could have been tragic if it had been a weekend when that
sidewalk is open to bicycles (on weekdays cyclists have to share the
east sidewalk with pedestrians).

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/12/02/golden-gate-bridge-ax-daniel-soto/

I've been at that spot many times. There is a parking lot at the end and
I guess I can see how someone who is drunk could get confused.

Imagine if that guy had been center span, driving in the far left lane with nothing to protect him from on-coming traffic except those low, plastic pickets. I drove over the bridge on Thanksgiving and got a quick refresher on how narrow the lanes are, particularly on that twisting section of 101 just north of the bridge. Many of the downtown streets are two lanes each way -- if you happen to be driving a model-T. The massive Armada/Navigator/Canyonero ahead of me straddled both lanes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZeFDe44Ddo It made me feel better about the inadequate infrastructure in PDX.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old December 3rd 14, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

yeah going south is a lot like 229.

what's the rush ? Jesus, you'd think you are in backcountry Oregon

BRDIGE FEVER !

then when I get to the TOLL, wondering how where is Cal One, I gotta pee bad.

WTF where is ONE ?

ONE is cool. Lotta good looking Asian girl throw flowers at me.

Nice nab.

Place suffers from Meglomania.

Old December 3rd 14, 07:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel

Am 02.12.2014 20:01, schrieb sms:
Funny, but it could have been tragic if it had been a weekend when that
sidewalk is open to bicycles (on weekdays cyclists have to share the
east sidewalk with pedestrians).

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/12/02/golden-gate-bridge-ax-daniel-soto/

I've been at that spot many times. There is a parking lot at the end and
I guess I can see how someone who is drunk could get confused.

There was a similar case of an OAP in Germany. He was trapped in his
car and had to be rescued with a crane IIRC.
Old December 3rd 14, 12:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 2:50:02 AM UTC-5, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 02.12.2014 20:01, schrieb sms:
Funny, but it could have been tragic if it had been a weekend when that
sidewalk is open to bicycles (on weekdays cyclists have to share the
east sidewalk with pedestrians).

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/12/02/golden-gate-bridge-ax-daniel-soto/

I've been at that spot many times. There is a parking lot at the end and
I guess I can see how someone who is drunk could get confused.

There was a similar case of an OAP in Germany. He was trapped in his
car and had to be rescued with a crane IIRC.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

42 CAL 42 not 229....Inexplicable, why Cal Hiway Design drove the ONE turn from the right side, not the left side going south. Incroyable.
Old December 3rd 14, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/2/2014 11:46 PM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 02.12.2014 20:01, schrieb sms:
Funny, but it could have been tragic if it had been a weekend when that
sidewalk is open to bicycles (on weekdays cyclists have to share the
east sidewalk with pedestrians).

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/12/02/golden-gate-bridge-ax-daniel-soto/

I've been at that spot many times. There is a parking lot at the end and
I guess I can see how someone who is drunk could get confused.

There was a similar case of an OAP in Germany. He was trapped in his
car and had to be rescued with a crane IIRC.

If you look at
,38m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x80859a6d00690021:0x4a501 367f076adff
it's easy to see how an impaired driver could end up on the sidewalk. In
fact full size vehicles do go down that section, but not all the way
across the bridge.
Old December 3rd 14, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zarniwoop

On Tuesday, December 2, 2014 11:01:52 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
Funny, but it could have been tragic if it had been a weekend when that
sidewalk is open to bicycles (on weekdays cyclists have to share the
east sidewalk with pedestrians).

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/12/02/golden-gate-bridge-ax-daniel-soto/

I've been at that spot many times. There is a parking lot at the end and
I guess I can see how someone who is drunk could get confused.

Mayor of Vilnius Lithuania made a point, as shown on You Tube, of driving over a Mercedes

parked in the bike lane with a Tank!
Old December 4th 14, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

good for him and Lithuania...

drove down a left hand turn off lane on US1 in Vero Beach, upscale roading but seeing the Mac sign decided to a 100 yards further....

and drove onto a berm lawn !

you now pavement turn pavement ahead turn but in between someone designed a berm lawn.

whatsa matter runoutta tar ?
Old December 4th 14, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:38:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:
good for him and Lithuania...

drove down a left hand turn off lane on US1 in Vero Beach, upscale roading but seeing the Mac sign decided to a 100 yards further....

and drove onto a berm lawn !

you now pavement turn pavement ahead turn but in between someone designed a berm lawn.

whatsa matter runoutta tar ?

SEVERAL MILES south sign sez tuen left for Senastian Inlet...gnaw, left turn is a side street but once in that lane dead ahead the lane ends. Sebastian turn is 1 turns ahead beyond 10' solid median with curb. So who knows right ?