those darned NYC cyclists again

Old October 19th 18, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default those darned NYC cyclists again

On 10/19/2018 3:13 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 5:58:48 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

-snip relevant material-

When I started carrying a cell
phone, I didn't see the need and considered a wris****ch redundant.

heh heh. That's right.
When the Chinese deploy their EMP device, my mechanical
watch will still keep time but it won't matter because no
one else will have any idea of the time nor any reason to
ask it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 20th 18, 10:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 10/19/18 6:58 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 08:27:19 -0000 (UTC), Tanguy Ortolo
wrote:

AMuzi, 2018-10-19 00:00+0200:
https://nypost.com/2018/10/18/man-sa...off-his-wrist/

No harm done. The victim just has to buy a news watch for an
infinitesimal fraction of the price of the original one, to get the same
features, i.e. get the time.

I don't think you understand why people buy such seriously overpriced
devices. It's not to tell the time. It's a form of conspicuous
consumption designed to impress your friends and associates. In other
words, bragging rights. Looking at the web pile, the only thing
unique about the Patek Phillipe watches is the hand finishing:
https://www.patek.com/en/company/savoir-faire

Pretty much all approved chronograph mechanical watches are hand
finished. It's what defines them from the 100USD Citizen on my wrist
which has a short term accuracy of a few hundred milliseconds a day, and
a long term accuracy, of, well, errmmm, the same :-) Well, tbf, it's
around a second in a million years, but an upgrade is in the offing.
Old October 20th 18, 12:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 9:13:20 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 19 Oct 2018 12:00:38 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute wrote:

On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 5:58:48 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Looking at the web pile, the only thing
unique about the Patek Phillipe watches is the hand finishing:
https://www.patek.com/en/company/savoir-faire

That's monstrously unfair. Patek Philippe design and make all their
own movements, and they have many innovations to their credit.

You're probably correct. I know NOTHING about high end wrist watches.
I went to the Patek Philippe web pile, read a few pages, failed to see
any mention of innovation and that they design and build their own
movements, but did find that they hand-finished their movements. For
someone with no prior knowledge of the industry, that would be a fair
assessment. When you pointed out that they do design and make their
own movements, I went back to their web pile and searched for any
indication that they designed and made their own movements. Nothing,
unless I read between the lines and use my imagination well beyond
acceptable limits.

The sort of person who today might want a Patek Philippe watch usually already knows that they are at the peak of the pile for good reasons. As an example, my first Patek was the thinnest automatic wris****ch in the world, a triumph of design and construction.

Another way of putting it is that Patek Philippe had already been a watch for people of refinement for a hundred years when a Rolex was still a sturdy watch for farmers,

Andre Jute
Western Civilization is found on time-keeping. Respect the horologists.

Hardly. All they've done is produce many generations of bean counters
and efficiency consultants.

You must have gone to engineering school, Jeff. How do you know when to plant if you don't have a calendar?

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Andre Jute
Precisely
Old October 20th 18, 12:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 8:20:08 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/19/2018 2:00 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 5:58:48 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Looking at the web pile, the only thing
unique about the Patek Phillipe watches is the hand finishing:
https://www.patek.com/en/company/savoir-faire

That's monstrously unfair. Patek Philippe design and make all their own movements, and they have many innovations to their credit. Many of the other big names in expensive watches buy in their movements from Eterna, whose own watches are another favorite of mine. I don't actually wear a watch because I'm always accompanied by people to keep me on schedule, but I collect watches, and always have, as fine expressions of man's mechanical genius. Others who make their own movements are the two really big names besides Patek, Audemars Piguet and Vacheron Constantin, plus some a fraction below them. That's what distinguishes a real watchmaker from the rest: making his own mechanical movements. The rest sell empty style built around someone else's movements but, while one of the double-barrels is an investment, the stylists' only guarantee is that in ten years they will be worth a fraction of what was paid for them.

You might also be interested in electronic watches, in which I own the two most complicated complications watches, both from Citizen, one a minute repeater, which is the zenith of complications.

Andre Jute
Western Civilization is found on time-keeping. Respect the horologists.

Down here at the lower end of consumer goods, one of the
most beautiful watches I ever owned was a 1980 Citizen with
day of week in Kanji. Sadly, it didn't survive an otherwise
not serious bike wreck. (last watch I bought new in a retail
store)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Citizen is the biggest manufacturer of watches in the world for a good reason: they make good watches at a fair price. And sometimes their watches are just beautiful.

Andre Jute
An ebauche of genius
Old October 20th 18, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 04:11:13 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

The sort of person who today might want a Patek Philippe watch
usually already knows that they are at the peak of the pile for
good reasons. As an example, my first Patek was the thinnest
automatic wris****ch in the world, a triumph of design and
construction.

The design and construction are impressive, even if the intended use
for the watch has become marginalized. These daze, an electronic
watch from Apple and competitors acts as a remote extension to the
ubiquitous smartphone and can do many things in software that cannot
easily be accomplished by a mechanical equivalent.

Another way of putting it is that Patek Philippe had already been
a watch for people of refinement for a hundred years when a
Rolex was still a sturdy watch for farmers,

I have a Cyma and an Omega watch stored somewhere. They were both
purchased new in about 1965. Also a malfunctional Accutron. I'm not
sure how my possession of those would label and classify me. Probably
no better than a member of the GUM (great unwashed masses).

Andre Jute
Western Civilization is found on time-keeping. Respect the horologists.

Hardly. All they've done is produce many generations of bean counters
and efficiency consultants.

You must have gone to engineering school, Jeff. How do you
know when to plant if you don't have a calendar?

Poor Richards or Farmers Almanac:
https://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-calendar/CA/Boulder%20Creek
Lack of gardening and agricultural knowledge are some of my many
faults. I lack whatever it takes to be a farmer or gardener. I also
don't make it habit of counting beans by the clock. I don't think
these deficiencies have anything to do with my attending engineering
skool.

Andre Jute
Precisely

Hardly.

Notice the 18 second difference between GPS and UTC times:
http://leapsecond.com/java/gpsclock.htm

Some not-so-smart-phones also can't seem to get it right:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/GPS-vs-UTC.jpg

If you're going to be precise, it helps to define which time reference
system your wrist watch is using:
https://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/timescales.html
If you suspect that UTC is being constantly tweaked, you're correct.

Sometime after Jan 01, 2019, we will probably need to make some major
adjustments to accomodate the demise of leap seconds:
https://www.ucolick.org/~sla/leapsecs/USDoD20090629.txt
So far, nothing has happened, so you can relax for a while.

Full disclosu I'm an erratic reader and ocassional participant in
the Time-Nuts mailing list, which deals with such things:
http://leapsecond.com/time-nuts.htm (info and links)
http://lists.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts_lists.febo.com/ (archive)

Old October 20th 18, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 4:11:15 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

I think that the best wrist watch I ever had was a Rolex Submariner. I found it in a drawer about a year ago with a broken lens. I contacted a watch repairman and he said that there weren't any parts available for those anymore. I think it's still laying around here somewhere but with my memory I'd have to disassemble my house to find it.

I now use a Casio G-Shock that is solar powered and automatically sets from satellite time and even automatically sets to daylight savings. Which is all just as well because I can't remember how to change anything on it anyway.
Old October 20th 18, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 11:22:22 +0200, Tosspot
wrote:

Pretty much all approved chronograph mechanical watches are hand
finished. It's what defines them from the 100USD Citizen on my wrist
which has a short term accuracy of a few hundred milliseconds a day, and
a long term accuracy, of, well, errmmm, the same :-) Well, tbf, it's
around a second in a million years, but an upgrade is in the offing.

You're not thinking like an engineer. What you want is something
totally unique. I suggest that you paint the hands of the watch on
your wrist with electrochromic paint. To activate the hands, run a
flat ribbon flex PCB under your wrist and up your arm to where the
electronics are hidden. It's not quite an implant but at a minimum,
building one should get your photo in some of the industrial design
magazines.

Drivel: A while ago, I watched the movie Dr Strange, which seems to
have several rather blatant plugs for the benefit of the wris****ch
industry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kf6xa2mkBk
Does anyone on the planet really own a drawer full of luxury watches?
Later in the movie, Dr Strange is consumed his entire fortune and
appears somewhere in Nepal. He is accosted by a local street mugger,
who attempts to steal his wris****ch. Dr Strange then says something
like, "No, not the watch. It's all I have left". The implication is
that a wrist watch is very important to him. That should be
sufficient to inspire a generation of teenagers to collect wrist
watches.

Old October 20th 18, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Sorry Jeff, you're not thinking of an engineer of today. Microchips can be implanted under the skin in a space so small that they would be invisible. They could run on body heat which also would provide the police with a very close approximation of the time of death should that driver pass too close..

I do like the electrochromic paint though I would make it digital hands. This also allows you to connect with the readout via your smartphone for any number of things such as your heart rate and even brain wave pattern via the wrist nerve endings.
Old October 20th 18, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 8:34:43 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I have a Cyma and an Omega watch stored somewhere. They were both
purchased new in about 1965. Also a malfunctional Accutron.

Those already qualify you as a serious enthusiast, whatever you say.

Andre Jute
Yeah!
Old October 20th 18, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 at 8:36:21 PM UTC+1, wrote:

I now use a Casio G-Shock that is solar powered and automatically sets from satellite time and even automatically sets to daylight savings. Which is all just as well because I can't remember how to change anything on it anyway.

Heh-heh. I need to have the video running to set my Citizen minute repeater because it has a virtual third time zone to which all the others are referenced -- which is not mentioned in the instructions. This is all the more surprising in that Citizen instructions are usually written in good English and readily comprehensible.

Andre Jute
Connoisseur of simple English