Finding Warmer Winter Glvoes

Old February 1st 19, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Finding Warmer Winter Glvoes

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 3:34:47 AM UTC-5, OccasionalFlyer wrote:
I have a pair of winter gloves. They in theory have insulation on the outer/back but when weather.com said it was 58 degrees F outside, my hands were cold. I live in southern California and I didn't expect these gloves to fail so miserably. I am looking for replacement winter road bike gloves that will be warm down to 45-50. It's really cold here (as it is in most of the country). Any suggestions? A few years ago, I saw a pair of Specialized gloves that looked just right but I balked at $60.00. Big mistake. Thanks.

Ken

Depending on one's tolerance to what THEY consider cold I find mitts better than gloves for cold as opposed to cool. Mitts have four fingers in one pocket and I can put my thumb in there too if the thumb gets cold. Gloves have fingers in individual pockets which means fingers can get cold faster. I make sure my mitts have or get a non-slip treatment on the palms.

Cheers
Old February 1st 19, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 7:15:05 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

For maximum warmth, mitts are the best. They're what polar explorers wear.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 1st 19, 05:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

jbeattie wrote:
:On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 7:15:05 PM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
: On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 3:34:47 AM UTC-5, OccasionalFlyer wrote:
: I have a pair of winter gloves. They in theory have insulation on the outer/back but when weather.com said it was 58 degrees F outside, my hands were cold. I live in southern California and I didn't expect these gloves to fail so miserably. I am looking for replacement winter road bike gloves that will be warm down to 45-50. It's really cold here (as it is in most of the country). Any suggestions? A few years ago, I saw a pair of Specialized gloves that looked just right but I balked at $60.00. Big mistake. Thanks.
:
: Ken
:
: Depending on one's tolerance to what THEY consider cold I find mitts better than gloves for cold as opposed to cool. Mitts have four fingers in one pocket and I can put my thumb in there too if the thumb gets cold. Gloves have fingers in individual pockets which means fingers can get cold faster. I make sure my mitts have or get a non-slip treatment on the palms.

:For maximum warmth, mitts are the best. They're what polar explorers wear.

They're hard to work the controls with, though. Three fingered
lobster gloves are what I go for. Mine are good down to -5 F or so.
Bit lower if I wear liners under them.

--
sig 111
Old February 1st 19, 12:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Like you say it depends on your tolerance. Also your needs. I find finger
gloves work well enough to keep me warm and allow me to use my brifters and
putz with my Garmin etc.

I don’t ride much below -5c though.

--
duane
Old February 1st 19, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 6:26:52 AM UTC-5, Duane wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

The other night here I was riding when the temperature with the windchill (not counting the bicycle speed I was riding at) was -38.8C (-38F) and i w as glad I had my glove liners on under my mitts. I have bar end shifters on that bike and mitts are no problems with them. I find it hard to shift my other bike with the Mirage 9-speed Ergos if I'm wearing think mitts or mitts with glove liners.

Cheers
Old February 1st 19, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

The cold never used to bother me that much. It still doesn't up to a
point. My friends complain when it's 10C but I find it more comfortable
than when it's 34C. I guess it comes from growing up in south Louisiana
before AC. lol

But these days, like I said, below -5 I'm probably not riding but on the
slopes or show shoeing or something else.

If you are riding at -38 you should do whatever you need to do.