Erie Canal

Old December 9th 04, 10:02 PM

Default Erie Canal

I am planning to ride the entire Erie Canal in the summer of 2005. I
have maps, brochures and the book about the canal, all from the state
of NY. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has either ridden
all of the canal or a significant portion. I am particularly
interested in camping areas as we travel essentially as backpackers on
wheels. I've done the C&O several times form Cumberland to DC and also
the ATA trail out of Pittsburgh so this is not a new experience. It is
still helpful to get whatever info one can find before the trip.

Old December 10th 04, 03:09 AM
NobodyMan

On 9 Dec 2004 14:02:14 -0800, "
wrote:

I am planning to ride the entire Erie Canal in the summer of 2005. I
have maps, brochures and the book about the canal, all from the state
of NY. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has either ridden
all of the canal or a significant portion. I am particularly
interested in camping areas as we travel essentially as backpackers on
wheels. I've done the C&O several times form Cumberland to DC and also
the ATA trail out of Pittsburgh so this is not a new experience. It is
still helpful to get whatever info one can find before the trip.

How hard is it riding through the water in the Canal? Isn't it still
in use? If so, how hard is it doding the boats?

Of course I jest, but please post what you really plan on doing -
riding paths along side the canal, like the towpath of the C&O Canal.

Old December 10th 04, 12:32 PM
Noel Reed

My wife and I rode the western half (Lockport to Oswego River) last
summer camping at the canal facilities which in many cases are pretty
basic (portable toilets and water) As well some communities offer
showers, etc. It is a very easy ride with most of the lock and bridge
attendants more than happy to have someone to chat with.

Old December 13th 04, 06:09 PM
Jim

I did the organized tour last year and had a great time. It is a lot
less trouble having someone else haul your gear. NY State has a
brochure that is well worth reading. You can order a copy at:
http://www.ptny.org/canalway/guidebook.shtml.

Parallel to the canal is NY State Bike Route 5 which is mainly a
heavily traveled road with very wide shoulders.
Good luck

Jim Cassatt