Performance brand tube failures

Old June 24th 05, 04:04 PM

Default Performance brand tube failures

Anyone been having trouble with Performance Brand tubes failing at the
valve stem? My buddy has had at least 4 of them recently that have
failed right at the base of the stem. We checked the hole in the rim
for sharp edges, but didn't find any problem.

Old June 24th 05, 04:27 PM
Bill

wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone been having trouble with Performance Brand tubes failing at the
valve stem? My buddy has had at least 4 of them recently that have
failed right at the base of the stem. We checked the hole in the rim
for sharp edges, but didn't find any problem.

One other possibility. I had a pair of Hutchinson tires a couple of years
ago that caused tube failures adjacent to the stem. The tire's bead area was
so large that the tube by the valve was suspended between the two beads and
could not seat against the bottom of the rim. Over time the tube would fail
at the unsupported area that was next to the valve.

I have also had runs of defective tubes from Salsa and Continental where the
tubes would fail at a weak seam in the tube. Solution was to give up on
light weight road tubes and go to Blackburn generic standard weight. A
little heavier, but they never fail with out outside intervention.
Bill

Old June 24th 05, 04:36 PM
C.H. Luu

Yep,

I purchased some Lunar Lights and the tire failed in that manner.
Switched over to Michelins and have not had a problem since. Don't
know if it was a design flaw or a manufcture problem.

Claude

Old June 24th 05, 05:31 PM

file the hole from the inside. work on it. its an acquired skill.
often, the barbs cannot be seen.

Old June 24th 05, 05:31 PM

Old June 24th 05, 05:31 PM

Old June 24th 05, 08:50 PM

i use nashbars that may be performance tubes and have no problems. the
problems came with burrs on the hole's edges and from vandals with
pliers.

Old June 25th 05, 02:42 AM
Mike Yankee

I've tried Performance ultralite road tubes and they're terrible.
Numerous failures at the base of the stem, spontaneous pinhole leaks
not related to punctures, etc.

By contrast, Kenda's equally inexpensive ultralite road tubes (also
sold under the Salsa brand name) are superb.

Redmond WA - Clinic: Optimal Personal Performance MarlonF Racing 2 September 20th 05 09:04 PM
Redmond WA - Clinic: Optimal Personal Performance MarlonF General 0 September 20th 05 02:31 AM
PERFORMANCE TUBES??? Jay K Techniques 8 May 14th 05 02:21 PM
Performance Bike still SUX SaintDan General 43 December 11th 03 06:01 AM
Performance Bike still SUX SaintDan Marketplace 35 December 11th 03 06:01 AM