Cantilever brakes versus "direct pull" brakes

Old August 16th 05, 03:26 AM
Ken Pisichko

Default Cantilever brakes versus "direct pull" brakes

I am getting a touring frame (with S&S connectors) built to fit and now
we are discussing the use of direct pull (aka v-brakes) versus the
traditional cantilever brakes that i see on a LOT of touring bicycles.

I did originally purchase non-aero brake levers for the drop bars I
intend to use. Now i understand they won't be appropriate for direct
pull cantilevers. Any ideas on this? I understand Dia-Compe (spelling??)
has brake levers for drop bars and these brakes.

Comments? I have lots of time to get the bike built. This year is pretty
well shot (the leaves are just starting to change on some trees here in
Manitoba), but it has to be ready for next spring.

Ken

Old August 16th 05, 03:35 AM
JeffWills

Ken Pisichko wrote:
I am getting a touring frame (with S&S connectors) built to fit and now
we are discussing the use of direct pull (aka v-brakes) versus the
traditional cantilever brakes that i see on a LOT of touring bicycles.

I did originally purchase non-aero brake levers for the drop bars I
intend to use. Now i understand they won't be appropriate for direct
pull cantilevers. Any ideas on this? I understand Dia-Compe (spelling??)
has brake levers for drop bars and these brakes.

Comments? I have lots of time to get the bike built. This year is pretty
well shot (the leaves are just starting to change on some trees here in
Manitoba), but it has to be ready for next spring.

Ken

If you're asking about the Dia-Compe 287-V brake levers for
"direct-pull" brakes, I have them on my Fort cross bike. I have not had
any particularly remarkable issues with this combination. A search of
the archive will probably turn up many more comments, both pro and con.

Jeff

Old August 16th 05, 03:52 AM

Dear Ken, & list:

Cantis got a bad rep because Shimano put incredibly lousy shoes on
theirs. Put on good shoes and they stop just fine. That said, if you
include a cable stop for the cantis, you can switch to V-brakes and
back no problem, just use different levers.

good luck

jn

"Thursday"

Old August 16th 05, 10:39 AM
A Muzi

Ken Pisichko wrote:

I am getting a touring frame (with S&S connectors) built to fit and now
we are discussing the use of direct pull (aka v-brakes) versus the
traditional cantilever brakes that i see on a LOT of touring bicycles.

I did originally purchase non-aero brake levers for the drop bars I
intend to use. Now i understand they won't be appropriate for direct
pull cantilevers. Any ideas on this? I understand Dia-Compe (spelling??)
has brake levers for drop bars and these brakes.

Comments? I have lots of time to get the bike built. This year is pretty
well shot (the leaves are just starting to change on some trees here in
Manitoba), but it has to be ready for next spring.

Everyone has an opinon I'm sure but here we use the
compound-cam adapters for standard levers with linear
brakes. Expensive and a bit confusing to set up the first
time but quite effective.

Personally I'd use canilevers but either can work well.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old August 16th 05, 02:11 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Ken Pisichko wrote:
I am getting a touring frame (with S&S connectors) built to fit and now
we are discussing the use of direct pull (aka v-brakes) versus the
traditional cantilever brakes that i see on a LOT of touring bicycles.

I did originally purchase non-aero brake levers for the drop bars I
intend to use. Now i understand they won't be appropriate for direct
pull cantilevers. Any ideas on this? I understand Dia-Compe (spelling??)
has brake levers for drop bars and these brakes.

Comments? I have lots of time to get the bike built. This year is pretty
well shot (the leaves are just starting to change on some trees here in
Manitoba), but it has to be ready for next spring.

Ken

Get good cantis, like those from Tektro. Easy to set up, work well, no
problema. Vbrakes with the doodad on top does work but pretty
complicated answer to a pretty simple question.

Stay away from Avid-squeal like banshee...poor design that Sram even
recognizes. I just traded 2 pair for a bunch of chains-warranty-

Old August 16th 05, 03:18 PM
maxo

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 19:52:26 -0700, thursday wrote:

Cantis got a bad rep because Shimano put incredibly lousy shoes on theirs.
Put on good shoes and they stop just fine.

^^^^^^ I agree 100% ^^^^^^^

I've ridden Shimano cantis on various bikes from '87 to '01 in vintage,
and in each case, the stock pads were a joke, and the reason for poor
braking.

That said, I think a set of Tektro cantis (as a previous poster
mentioned) are a better value and probably better brakes than the Shimano.
I'd still upgrade the shoes immediately and be done with it.