Canal knowledge

Old August 21st 05, 02:19 PM
Mikefule

Default Canal knowledge

Thanks for the kind comments.

Actually, I was disappointed with the write up as it came out. On a
long ride, there is sometimes too much detail to include, and too much
to miss out, just to keep it within a reasonable length to read.

Legs are OK today, and apart from some chaffing at the, er... points of
contact with the edges of the seat... I'm impressed with how well I
survived. Nevertheless, today has been designated a Vespa day, rather
than the Coker day I'd had in mind.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

http://www.dolphin-morris.co.uk/

Old August 21st 05, 03:36 PM
goldenchicken II

One reason I like reading your write-ups Mikefule, is that they contain
much detailed information from your impressions along the route. This is
a very needed reminder to us all to throw out a (mental) drag-anchor in
order to slow things down and start observing what we are doing instead
of pondering or i-podering our minds to distant places.

I think a natural evolution of your writings would be to delve even
further into the small and subtle sensations that passes your mind. I
think that is more important than actually covering the whole ride.

Anyway, please keep writing.

--
goldenchicken II - There is more to cycling

Olaf Johansson

www.enhjulingsfolket.se
www.muni.se
goldenchicken II's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10248

Old August 21st 05, 09:42 PM
Mikefule

goldenchicken II wrote:
*... {1} a very needed reminder to us all to throw out a (mental)
drag-anchor in order to slow things down and start observing what we
are doing instead of pondering or

{2} i-podering our minds to distant places.

{3) I think a natural evolution of your writings would be to delve
even further into the small and subtle sensations that passes your
mind. I think that is more important than actually covering the whole
ride.
*

{1} Interesting. I post because the feedback suggests it's appreciated,
but I often wonder why it is.

{2} Interesting because I have considered buying an iPod, but even in
the worst section of yesterday's long ride, when my backside was sore,
and the road stretched ahead with a long slow climb, and nothing to
divert my attention, I knew I wouldn't appreciate the unicycle
experience as much if I were simply pedalling to the beat. I doubt I'll
buy an iPod.

{3} Interesting. I try to keep it uni related, otherwise I might as
well be posting my musings in the fencing forum. Part of my intention
is to encourage newer riders to get out and enjoy this great sport as
much as I do. The philosophy, sociology and satire are only there
because I see the world through a rather distorted lens.
There's no great pleasure to riding big distances per se. I could
have done 16 laps of the rowing lake to cover 50 miles. I love the way
the uni takes me to places I probably wouldn't bother to visit by foot
or bicycle. I could have written twice as much about yesterday's ride,
with the wildlife, the sky, the old abandoned buildings, the stupid
notices, the restoration work on the locks... but they'll be there for a
later ride, I'm sure.

Old August 22nd 05, 09:54 PM
goldenchicken II

The unicycle can be seen as a metaphor for a wandering mind.

Illustration:

"I'm the Urban Spaceman" by the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band

I'm the Urban Spaceman, baby, I've got speed,
I've got everything I need.

I'm the Urban Spaceman, baby, I can fly,
I'm a supersonic guy.

I don't need pleasure, I don't feel pain,
If you were to knock me down, I'd just get up again.

I'm the Urban Spaceman, baby, I'm making out,
I'm all about.

I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exhuberance spills out all over the place.

I'm the Urban Spaceman, I'm intelligent and clean,
Know what I mean?

I'm the Urban Spaceman, as a lover second to none,
It's alot of fun.

I never let my friends down, I never made a boob,
I'm a glossy magazine, an advert in the tube.

I'm the Urban Spaceman, baby, here comes the twist,
I don't exist.

Old August 22nd 05, 09:57 PM
Mikefule

If we're quoting song lyrics:

One wheel on my wagon, and I'm still rolling along...

Old August 22nd 05, 10:24 PM
Catboy

Such a good writeup. Well done Mike. I hope to read more from you
again.

One of these days you could compile all these writups into a small book.
I'd buy it.

--
Catboy - I enjoy the taste of dirt!!!

'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)

'UPD T-Shirts ON SALE NOW!!! (Click Me)'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album661)

Old August 23rd 05, 09:35 AM
GILD

Catboy wrote:
*One of these days you could compile all these writups into a small
book. I'd buy it. *

and so say all of us...

--
GILD - Waffle-Tosser, Time-bider and JCTK

if you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me.--
'alice' (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/custom.html?) 'roosevelt'
(http://tinyurl.com/963jr) 'longworth' (http://tinyurl.com/78ybd)

I feel like a fugitive from the law of averages.-- 'william h mauldin'
(http://www.johnconyers.com/)

...using nietzsche's metaphysics to escape from
christianity...-'metro_tramp on the value of metaphysics'
(http://tinyurl.com/4sjw6)-
it's hard to be sure, and good to be paranoid...john childs on life on
the internet
'harper' (http://tinyurl.com/c9epx)
'NAMASTE!' (http://tinyurl.com/4qcxw)
'Dave' (http://www.lyricsdir.com/d/deep-purp...ld-in-time.php)

Old August 23rd 05, 12:37 PM
Loosemoose

Maybe a book of the routes you have ridden? Like a cycle touring book,
but for unicycling. I'd buy at least one...

Loose.

--
Loosemoose - HA! Sod You Gilby, I HAVE DAMMIT!

Dave: "I had a particularly bad UPD & found I'd lost a shoe"
Officially a  & ~ expert.

_no1_quote_of_crawley_2005:_
Leigh: "Where's Trevor"
Baz: "I think he's upstairs, balancing The Bishop"
Loosemoose's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6326

Old August 23rd 05, 01:16 PM
Memphis Mud

Catboy wrote:
*One of these days you could compile all these writups into a small
book.*

PLEASE DON'T!!!!!

A small book would require carnivorous editing. Leave them as is and
compile them into a LARGE book. Please.

We like the pictures too.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

NAUCC 2006 in Memphis, TN.
Beale Street. Graceland. Blues Music. BBQ. Deep woods MUni. Rolling
Crosscountry. Jump over the Mississippi River (really!).
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Old August 23rd 05, 03:14 PM
kington99

Damn, i thought the thread title said Carnal knowledge.

--
kington99 - I HAVE figured out how to change th

Dave

Erie Canal [email protected] Rides 7 December 13th 04 06:09 PM
Rider Down! slim Social Issues 9 October 19th 04 01:41 PM
Anybody live near Daventry? Or have local knowledge of Staverton? Richard Bates UK 3 July 31st 03 04:14 PM