Giro-d'Italia stage 10 summary

Old May 16th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Giro-d'Italia stage 10 summary

Changes in stage 10 compared to stage 9

Biggest gainers by position :
+39 Sylvain Calzati
+37 Giovanni Lombardi
+33 Moises Aldape Chavez
+32 Sven Krauss
+32 Benoit Joachim
+30 Jose Luis Carrasco Gamiz
+29 Benoit Poilvet
+28 Torsten Hiekmann
+28 Michael Rasmussen
+26 Raffaele Illiano

Biggest losers by position :
-27 Davide Rebellin
-24 Nicolas Vogondy
-23 Andrea Moletta
-23 Joerg Ludewig
-23 Mikel Pradera Rodriguez
-22 Jonathan Patrick Mc Carty
-22 Matthias Kessler
-22 Olaf Pollack
-22 Olivier Bonnaire
-22 Renaud Dion
-22 Stef Clement

Biggest gainers by time :
+3:43 Franco Pellizotti
+3:35 Vladimir Efimkin
+3:29 Serguei Yakovlev
+3:24 Marco Pinotti
+3:21 Hubert Dupont
+3:20 Theo Eltink
+3:20 Jose Luis Carrasco Gamiz
+3:19 Alexandr Kolobnev
+3:18 Sven Krauss
+3:15 Joan Horrach Rippoll

Biggest losers by time :
-14:50 Cyrille Monnerais
-14:50 Henk Vogels
-14:50 Jason Mccartney
-14:40 Aaron Olsen
-14:40 Alberto Loddo
-14:40 Andoni Aranaga Azkune
-14:40 Andy Flickinger
-14:40 Arnaud Gerard
-14:40 Axel Maximiliano Richeze
-14:40 Bert Roesems
-14:40 Bobby Julich

Favourites by position :
+1 Leonardo Piepoli
-1 Serguei Gonchar
-1 Paolo Savoldelli
-1 José Rujano Guillen
-1 Gilberto Simoni
-1 Giampaolo Caruso
-1 Danilo Di Luca
-8 Carlos Sastre Candil
-27 Davide Rebellin

Favourites by time :
-2:20 Carlos Sastre Candil
-13:07 Davide Rebellin

Favourites standings :
1 Ivan Basso 39.29.40
2 José E. Gutierrez Cataluna 1.34
3 Damiano Cunego 1.48
5 Paolo Savoldelli 2.35
6 Serguei Gonchar 2.43
7 Danilo Di Luca 2.48
8 Gilberto Simoni 3.20
9 Giampaolo Caruso 3.23
11 Andrea Noe' 3.45
12 Luca Mazzanti 3.50
20 José Rujano Guillen 5.32
30 Leonardo Piepoli 8.56
36 Carlos Sastre Candil 10.25
62 Davide Rebellin 22.59

Retirements to date :
Bouygues Telecom Sébastien Chavanel
Cofidis, le Credit par Telephone Cristian Moreni
" Leonardo Bertagnolli DNF 4
" Thierry Marichal
Davitamon-Lotto Christophe Brandt DNS 4
Euskaltel-Euskadi Koldo Fernandez
Française des Jeux Bradley Mcgee
Liberty Seguros-Würth Team Dariusz Baranowski DNF 10
Quick Step-Innergetic Remmert Wielinga
Rabobank Graeme Brown
Selle Italia-Serramenti Diquigiovanni Alessandro Bertolini
T-Mobile Team André Korff
Team Milram Alessandro Petacchi DNS 4
Total retirements : 13

Old May 17th 06, 08:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Bob Martin wrote:

Changes in stage 10 compared to stage 9

Biggest losers by time :
-14:40 Bobby Julich

I was going to make some comment about Ullrich taking
the ride so gently he'd lose time on the bus to the start
but Julich is certainly giving him a caning in the losing
times stakes. Is Julich actually still alive?
Old May 17th 06, 09:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Bounty Bob wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:

Changes in stage 10 compared to stage 9

Biggest losers by time :
-14:40 Bobby Julich

I was going to make some comment about Ullrich taking
the ride so gently he'd lose time on the bus to the start
but Julich is certainly giving him a caning in the losing
times stakes. Is Julich actually still alive?

*Rolls eyes*

Maybe it is time for a FAQ on GT racing would be a good idea for these
uninformed posters.

1. Julich is a DOMESTIC in this Giro, just as Sastre. With CSC he gets
a free role in smaller tours (Paris-Nice, Romandie), but in the Giro he
works (hard!) for Ivan Basso. Considering Basso is going very well
indeed it stands to reason that Julich is doing fine.

Noone at CSC and certainly not Julich gives a rats ass at what time
distance Sastre or Julich come in, just as long as they work for Ican
Basso and are within the time-limit.

2. Ulrich and probably Rasmussen ride the Giro to get into shape. It
was clear from the start they will loose hours. They don't care for
their time either, they are just testing themselves. Considering the
TTT and that he wasn't dropped on evry mountain it seems Jan is indeed
improving rapidly. And no, it's never sure if it will be enough for the
tour and no I don't think he will win the TdF. But thats how Ulrich
prepares... nothing new there.

This is grown up, Pro cycling... people pick their targets (none better
as Lance) and try to be in shape at the right moment. They don't try to
win everything or force their reserves by trying to hang on no matter
what.

Old May 17th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:
Bounty Bob wrote:
wrote:
Bounty Bob wrote:
Bob Martin wrote:
Changes in stage 10 compared to stage 9

Biggest losers by time :
-14:40 Bobby Julich
I was going to make some comment about Ullrich taking
the ride so gently he'd lose time on the bus to the start
but Julich is certainly giving him a caning in the losing
times stakes. Is Julich actually still alive?
*Rolls eyes*
Maybe it is time for a FAQ on GT racing would be a good idea for these
uninformed posters.

sorry. I was just a bit worried his teammates were pulling
a weekend at bernies on us!

Seems you are interested in tactics (I checked some of your older
posts). The real problem with current tactics is that cycling has
evolved since 1990 and that the old "tactics" are not applicable
anymore.

To clarify:

Before Indurain it was pretty normal for the top GC contenders to be
duking it out singelhandedly at the mountainous stages. Couples as
Rooks-Theunissen, Lemond-Hinault did help each other, but they also
always looked out for their own chances.

Nowadays there is ONE leader and everyone else in the team tries to
bring him as far as possible up the last hill. There is a set, high
pace to choke the competitors and only the real GC contenders remain.

Actually the Julich thing only really come out because Ullrich
had disappeared from the stage summaries. So Julich is doomed
to serving? No targeting stage wins?

Its really Ullrich I don't understand, everything in other sport
seems to suggest that you need to actually properly compete at
higher level to get right for the big event. I can't see how his
current tactics of riding with the biggest slow bunch can be all
that helpful and from what I read he's ditching the tour de suisse
for a shorter tour and can't see him getting a good work out in that.
Still I guess the TT tomorrow will tell whether hes going to do any
real work or merely continue to be a commuter (And he could work
hard on some of the mountain stages I guess).

Old May 17th 06, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Actually the Julich thing only really come out because Ullrich
had disappeared from the stage summaries. So Julich is doomed
to serving? No targeting stage wins?

As long as Basso needs his help I think he won't target a stage win.

Its really Ullrich I don't understand, everything in other sport
seems to suggest that you need to actually properly compete at
higher level to get right for the big event. I can't see how his
current tactics of riding with the biggest slow bunch can be all
that helpful and from what I read he's ditching the tour de suisse
for a shorter tour and can't see him getting a good work out in that.

Cycling is quite a tough profession. Going with the "slow" bunch still
taxes the body, so in general this can be seen as a workout. Coasting
in the build-up to a big round is actually quite normal, in a way Lance
did this too (he just didn't race much in preperation).

Same goes for being too heavy (allbeit that Jan is to extreme at this).
Top cyclists have such a low fat-percentage that their body becomes
vulnerable for disease (some say that top-form is actually a form of
being out of ballance). Also, riders tend to loose weigth during a TdF.
If you start out at mimum you can go too low (Theunissen is a good
example). Being a bit heavy in the build up isn't such a big deal, just
as long as you are trimmed when the first mountain stages begin. Again,
Jan is taking this to an extreme and so it's not a good strategy for
him. But in itself it's normal for GC riders to be heavy in the
build-up.

Still I guess the TT tomorrow will tell whether hes going to do any
real work or merely continue to be a commuter (And he could work
hard on some of the mountain stages I guess).

The one who knows will be his trainer If in his build up it's better
to coast he will coast, if his trainer decides he needs to hurt his
body we can expect fireworks. Even if he goes "commuting"don't equate
it by bad preperation, training/building up is seldom done @ 100%

To finish, a low intensity is the best way to burn fat, higher
intensity training tends just to chew up carbs and let the fatties stay
where they are... his gut. So don't be surprised if you get reports of
Jan training at 15 miles an hour... it's modern training methods ^^

Giro d'Italia Stage 5 TTT petulance Australia 4 May 12th 06 02:43 PM
Robbie wins Giro d'Italia Stage Two sprint cfsmtb Australia 14 May 10th 06 12:52 AM
Cottur Passes on Davey Crockett Racing 2 March 9th 06 03:57 AM
The Graciousness Of A Champion hold my beer and watch this... Racing 41 September 4th 03 08:14 PM
Wins in Grand Tours? Isidor Gunsberg Racing 11 July 31st 03 07:32 PM