Ride Of Silence 2006

Old February 17th 06, 10:51 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Ride Of Silence 2006

'www.rideofsilence.org' (http://www.rideofsilence.org)

*-The 2006 RIDE OF SILENCE is on May 17 at 7pm (worldwide at this
time)-*

Australia's RIDE OF SILENCE is planned for Melbourne and Brisbane

More cities may add, please register (FREE) as a co-ordinator and set
up your local ROS 2006 ride by visiting web site
'www.rideofsilence.org' (http://www.rideofsilence.org)

This is a worldwide event in its 3rd year where cyclists ride to honor
the memory of all cyclists killed, maimed or injured whislt doing what
they love Riding a Bike.

Every ride is the same, protocols on web site 'www.rideofsilence.org'
(http://www.rideofsilence.org)

_*-Ride_of_Silence_MELBOURNE_2006-*_

The route is subject to review and will be finalised based on input and
riders wishes ( may vary to visit a site of a tragic death etc)

The 2005 Melbourne Ride of Silence was from Black Rock Clock Tower, to
Café Racer and then a loop into the CBD.

Current Suggestion for Ride:

Start: gather from 6-30pm Library Swanston Street CBD
( Same as CM) at 7pm precisely, people read out names , then invite
free riders to ride their route
(naturally as they are all free riders ..right!)
around CBD, Southbank, maybe back through CBD. Max about 15klm

Input request:

- Suggestions on the route are invited 'treddly'
) @ finger.gmail.com (remove finger)
- Names to be honoured will be read out at start of ride again, send
names and details.
- spread word, invite riders, advise bike shops, organisations
NOTE: This is not a fund raiser...if you cannot ride and wish to make a
memorial donation send it to Amy Gillette Safe Cycling Foundation with
a note that your financial support is in Honour of all Riders who have
died and ROS.

RIDE OF SILENCE MAY 17 AT 7PM - WORLDWIDE

--
rooman

Old February 18th 06, 02:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle

I've a couple of observations to make and an action to propose.

Observations
============

What is the message that the ride of silence is trying to
communicate? The stated aim is to honor the memory of cyclists who have
fallen foul to motorists, could it be that the effect it will have is
re-enforce the message that cycling is a dangerous activity? I'm all for
raising awareness that cyclists are soft, fleshy and vulnerable and that
other road users need to exercise care around us, that's the message I'd
really like to see pushed.

The second observation is that without significant media coverage the
impact of the ride will be minimal.

I applaud the initiative, it was only work commitments in Ballarat that
kept me from last years. Last years was mere days after the Wheels of
Justice protest ride which did generate some TV news minutes. I scoured
the media after the Ride of Silence ride and could find nothing. That
really hacked me off, I know it was well patronised, both the St Kilda
ride and the Fed Square ride. All that effort and it went un-noticed
except by those who are already far too aware of the issues.

Proposed action
===============
I propose that BV be approached with a view to promoting awareness of
the ride through as many media channels as possible.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old February 18th 06, 02:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle

rooman wrote:
[...]

7 pm at night in May? Hope you all got good lights, otherwise you could
be adding to the toll.
Old February 18th 06, 02:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle

ray writes:

7 pm at night in May? Hope you all got good lights, otherwise you
could be adding to the toll.

I read somewhere that the only cyclists to have died at night in the
last six or so years weren't using lights, so yes lights are a good idea
not to mention a legal requirement.

I regularly ride at night and find I get given more room than during the
day, not less. Then again I am lit up like a Christmas Tree.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old February 18th 06, 03:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle

OK

we went down this road last year...

read the web site again...on protocols

The ROS is a solemn personal honoring of all deaths, injury, and
maiming at the hands of motorists.

It is at night, so we, being responsible cyclists, it goes without
saying that no lights no ride..... end of that one.

As for BV, last year they were informed , stated they would support and
actively promote and apart from a minor mention on their web site did
nought.

This year we have plenty of time to enlist riders, locations and media
coverage.

If you want to chat be at the back straight at the Madison at Joe Drome
tonight...

This is a time to be positive, to support the initiative of ROS ,
spread the message that attitudinal change is what must be promoted in
motorists, this, like any behavioural change in all of mankind will
take time, perserverence and committment...so like any journey, it wont
begin till a step is taken.

Keep stepping out .

--
rooman

Old February 18th 06, 07:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Euan wrote:
I've a couple of observations to make and an action to propose.

I've a suggestion too

Run the bloody thing during daylight!

Old February 18th 06, 01:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve Wrote:
Euan wrote:
I've a couple of observations to make and an action to propose.

I've a suggestion too

Run the bloody thing during daylight!

Again read the website

Across the world every ROS occurs at 7pm local time on May 17...not
10am, not 2pm....but *7PM*

feel free to stay home if you dont have lights or find this occasion
just too much for your sensitivities....

--
rooman

Old February 18th 06, 10:22 PM posted to aus.bicycle

In related news, awoke this morning to hear seven teenagers have been
killed in road incidents across Victoria this weekend. Five at one
incident in Mildura.
http://tinyurl.com/dq2xm

We need another Dr. John Birrell (or several) to take on the effects of
aggressive road culture & improving driver education.

Read this, and shake your head in disbelief of what our community used
to consider normal behaviour:
http://150.theage.com.au/view_bestof....asp?intid=428

--
cfsmtb

Old February 18th 06, 11:04 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"rooman" wrote:

Bleve Wrote:
Run the bloody thing during daylight!

Again read the website

Across the world every ROS occurs at 7pm local time on May 17...not
10am, not 2pm....but *7PM*

A northern hemisphere driven event. 7pm, 17th May, it's a spring evening,
just after work, and there's still an hour or two of daylight.

feel free to stay home if you dont have lights or find this occasion
just too much for your sensitivities....

I guess that's just the point - a lot of people probably will. As a result
the ride has less impact.

Cheers
Peter

Old February 19th 06, 12:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle

rooman wrote:
Bleve Wrote:
Euan wrote:
I've a couple of observations to make and an action to propose.

I've a suggestion too

Run the bloody thing during daylight!

Again read the website

Again,. run the bloody thing during daylight hours. Of course, you
won't ... *shrug*