Galicia (Spain) route advice

Old April 3rd 06, 11:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Galicia (Spain) route advice

Any advice on on-road routes near Santiago de Compostela gratefully
accepted. From map, west looks good with roads following the coast.
Trip is 4 days in May, doing around 100km per day. Many thanks in
advance, Reg

Old April 9th 06, 07:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

We cycled from Barcelona to Santiago years ago and from La Coruna to
Vigo, going into Santiago about 6 years ago.
La Coruna is a nice town. We cycled along the coast (traffic signs
non-existent!) going to places like Malpica, Corme Porto, Camarinas (if
you do, see Cabo Vilan), Muxia and then down to Finisterre. This upper
portion is (was) poor, cheap and very interesting. Not touristy at all.
Traffic light.
We then cycled to Finisterre and Cape Finisterre and along the coast.
Stayed in brilliant Hostal (cheap hotel, not hostel) in Carnota.
Brilliant food. From there down to Muros (gorgeous town) and on to
Santiago is beautiful and more touristy. Santiago is good. Then back to
Noia (much busier) and around the coast. This area very tourisy. Be
sure and see O Castro (the remains of an old Celtic settlement. Superb
location. This peninsula is very developed but the views are excellent.
Stayed in O Boiro. Then continued on along the coast, staying in O
Grove which is a big resort and finally getting a boat from Cangas to
Vigo. My memories are coloured by superb weather, but I really enjoyed
it. Only downside was heavy traffic in areas. The seafood in Galicia is
wonderful and at that time it was cheap.

highlights for me.

Muros. O Castro, views near Carnota, from Bueu to Cangas, having lunch
at beach restaurant in Bueu on a gorgeous day, fantastic fish stews in
Hostal in Carnota and restaurant in O Grove.

Old April 11th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

October. Got smashing unexpected weather. Don't understand how "traffic
light" and a garbled sentence got into my account.

I had "Calamares en su tinta" in the town of Finisterre for my lunch.
Squid in its ink. It looked like sewage but was divine. Try it!

Old April 12th 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Hi,

Some 5 years ago (the summer before the Prestige wreckage) we pushed our
Santiago travel further. From Santiago we headed SW: Bertamiráns, (plenty of
rural roads, pretty hilly with steep grades, no traffic) Os Dices, Padrón,
then stayed in a camping along the Ría de Arousa (Vilagarcia ? Not sure
about the exact place). From there we did a day trip up to the Mirador de la
Curota (wonderful view). Then we followed the coast in a clockwise way:
Rianxo, Pobra do Caramiñal, Ribeira, Noia, Muros, Corcubion, Fisterra, Cabo
Fisterra, Cabo Touriñan, Muxia, Cabo Vilán, Laxe, Malpicá, La Coruña.

In general: traffic was light, there were plenty of camping opportunities
and small hotels, great beaches in remote places (the oil spill hadn't
destroyed the place then, I hope it recovered since), fantastic views, and
nice food. Actually, we found it better than the Camino de Santiago itself.
In some places (mostly along the Costa de la Muerte -- ie roughly from
Fisterra to a Coruña), you will find a dirt track running along the coast.
It is suitable for standard hybrid bicycles, fully loaded.
And last but not least: people are friendly !

Weather ? It was July, but the NW coast is known for its crappy weather.
Like a detached part of Scotland that would have drifted to the south and
carried its own microclimate with it. But you get also the sun on very
regular intervals. Bring sun cream and raining jacket, you'll use both.

For a four day stay, I think that you'll have to make a choice between the
costa de la Muerte, and the coast further south (rías de Pontevedra, Vigo,
etc). The first is wildest, has the less favourable weather, and a rugged
coastline. The second part should be more sunny, is more developped, carry
more traffic, and offers more leisure activities opportunities.

So make your opinion, and enjoy your trip.

Eric

Old April 12th 06, 10:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Again, great info. Thanks. I think I'm going to try and get the best
of both worlds, i.e. from SdC airport head south-west and hit the coast
around Rianxo then follow it 'clockwise' to somewhere north of
Finisterre (e.g. Muxia) then head in a straightish line back to SdC.
Looks do-able in 4 days? (wind permitting). Reg

Old April 14th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

It depends on your cycling fitness and out-of-the bike interests.
I guess it is ambitious but feasible. Anyway, you will never be more than
aout 1/2 day cycling away from Santiago.
BTW, I spoke today to a colleague orginating from this area. The Prestige
spill has no (visible) impact anymore today.
Eric.

oups.com...

Guardian Rich UK 5 September 27th 05 08:41 AM
Route Advice - Fort William to Fersit (Loch Treig) Hugh Spicer UK 3 January 25th 05 09:36 PM
Route advice - North of England Paul Young UK 5 January 20th 05 07:22 PM