I invented Finite Element Analysis

Old June 30th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default I invented Finite Element Analysis

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:30:01 GMT, "Snippy Bobkins"
wrote:

"Earl" wrote in message
Donald Munro wrote:

The virtual internet was invented by al gore.

Why is it this myth won't die?

Gore to receive Internet lifetime achievement award
PT May 5, 2005
NEW YORK - Al Gore may have been lampooned for taking credit in the
Internet's development, but organizers of the Webby Awards for online
achievements don't find it funny at all.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7746308/

The "Al Gore said he 'invented' the Internet" put-downs were misleading,
out-of-context distortions of something he said during an interview with
Wolf Blitzer on CNN's "Late Edition" program on 9 March 1999. When asked to
describe what distinguished him from his challenger for the Democratic
presidential nomination, Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey, Gore replied
(in part): "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the
initiative in creating the Internet..."
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Which is itself a highly arguable claim. The internet was on its way with or
without Gore.

Ron
Old June 30th 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Tim Lines" wrote in news:1151627466.705379.122660@
75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

I invented Finite Element Analysis.

Dumbass,

Why did you stop there?

He didn't, but Countably Infinite Element Analysis never really caught on
since it always seemed like there was one more element that needed to be
added.

--
Bill Asher
Old June 30th 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Jack Maars wrote:

Ok, Ok, all joking aside.

While the rest of Greg's GAN team mates were resting, eating, getting a
rubdown after another stage in the TdF Greg would be in there recovering
after the stage as well, but he would also be working with Algor Inc.
helping them with their FEA automatic midplane meshing CAD program.

Yeah, I can just imagine the conversations. Do you really think that
Greg was slapping the engineers and programmers in the head and taking
them to task for oversights on their workup of vibrational analysis in
orthotropic materials? It seems extremely remote to me.

This link is a basic overview of FEA
http://www.sv.vt.edu/classes/MSE2094...ff/theory.html

When Lemond was of college age he was racing in Europe. When exactly
did he have time to earn his Masters (PhD?) in engineering?

Funny how it was 1994 that Algor Inc. was to launch their
four-node (quadrilateral) finite element mesh engine.

Ok, so Greg stepped off his bike on stage 6 on the Cote des Loges-
Marchis, kilometer number 183 from the start in Cherbourg and ended
his bid at the '94 TdF.

(side note) one day I hope to go to the 183 km point from Cherbourg
and stand on that spot on the ol Loges-Marchis and think of Greg.

I don't know who was more sad and empty that day: Otto Jacome,
Julien DeVriese, or me.

Not Lance nor any other tour rider will ever be able to say:

"I helped pioneer the first 3-D solid mesh CAD engine that creates
eight-node brick interior solid elements (hexahedrals) from a surface
mesh of four-node surface elements (Hexagen)".

Not Lance and not Lemond. If he was so instrumental in refining an
advanced engineering methodology it's curious that there's no mention
of it anywhere I could find.

Saying Lemond helped pioneer FEA is like me saying I helped invent the
toilet because I've crapped in them.

This is an excerpt from Calfee's white paper on carbon fiber frames:
"Sorting out the variables to satisfy the opposing goals of a bicycle
frame has fallen onto the shoulders of composite engineers. Using
extensive knowledge of composites and computers, some have engaged in a
sophisticated analysis of a bicycle frame using a finite element
analysis program. Ultimately, though, experience gained through trial
and error and extensive ride testing is
the best route to tuning a vehicle's ride qualities. Sophisticated
computer analysis techniques can provide a jump on the design process,
but the trial-and-error can not be ignored. The most important test is
rider judgment."

So, if you're saying that Lemond was instrumental in providing the
professional, high-caliber feedback for the trial-and-error testing,
well, there's certainly no argument there. If you're saying that a
bright boy from Wayzata, with no engineering background, was
instrumental in refining finite element analysis...you're smoking the
good stuff and not sharing. I find it difficult to believe that Lemond
had any input at all on the mathematical or computational aspects.
Feel free to prove me wrong with a reference.

And then those damn Taiwanese "tourists" book into the La Quinta
Motor Inn in Reno at about the same time that funny stuff was going
on at the Giant bicycles plant in Heredia, Costa Rica.

Someone at either the the Pittsburgh or London division of
Algor Inc. knows something what really happened with Greg,
and I'm going to find out!

Industrial espionage? Where's the money in that?

Old June 30th 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
So, if you're saying that Lemond was instrumental in providing the
professional, high-caliber feedback for the trial-and-error testing,
well, there's certainly no argument there. If you're saying that a
bright boy from Wayzata, with no engineering background, was
instrumental in refining finite element analysis...you're smoking the
good stuff and not sharing. I find it difficult to believe that Lemond
had any input at all on the mathematical or computational aspects.
Feel free to prove me wrong with a reference.

Well Greg was doing something between tour stages on his IBM ThinkPad 700
and I'm pretty sure Greg wasn't just a gamer.

And as it happens, it wasn't just your run of the mill ThinkPad 700,
it was hand delivered to Greg at the 1993 Comdex by either Denny Wainwright
or Jim Cannavino from IBM's Boca Raton mobile pc division.

Now that's not your normal tour rider!

Old June 30th 06, 08:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Donald Munro wrote:
The virtual internet was invented by al gore.

Earl wrote:
Why is it this myth won't die?

Like that myth held by some in the US that European countries don't
presume innocence.

Old June 30th 06, 08:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Jack Maars wrote:
And as it happens, it wasn't just your run of the mill ThinkPad 700,
it was hand delivered to Greg at the 1993 Comdex by either Denny Wainwright
or Jim Cannavino from IBM's Boca Raton mobile pc division.

Stop. You're giving Bruyneel ideas on how to smuggle blood into hotels.

Old June 30th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

RonSonic wrote:
The "Al Gore said he 'invented' the Internet" put-downs were misleading,
out-of-context distortions of something he said during an interview with
Wolf Blitzer on CNN's "Late Edition" program on 9 March 1999. When asked to
describe what distinguished him from his challenger for the Democratic
presidential nomination, Senator Bill Bradley of New Jersey, Gore replied
(in part): "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the
initiative in creating the Internet..."
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Which is itself a highly arguable claim. The internet was on its way with or
without Gore.

Ron

Ron's assertion indicates that he was not a close observer of the
development of the Internet. It likely would have been swept aside by
competing network schemes had it not received strong financial support
on several occasions from the U.S. Congress under the leadership of
people such as Al Gore.

I was a member of the ARPAnet startup committee, which got the ball
rolling in 1967. At that time it was not at all obvious which way the
ball would roll.

-Les Earnest
Old July 1st 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

In article , Les Earnest
wrote:

RonSonic wrote:
[...]

It doesn't really matter what you say, Les - there are people who absolutely know
better then you what *really* happened. In all seriousness, that's just one of many
things the media has said about Gore that is a gross distortion of what he said or
did.

http://archive.salon.com/tech/col/ro...net/index.html

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old July 2nd 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:22:28 -0700, Howard Kveck
wrote:

In article , Les Earnest
wrote:

RonSonic wrote:
[...]

Which has not a thing to do with Al Gore.

It doesn't really matter what you say, Les - there are people who absolutely know
better then you what *really* happened. In all seriousness, that's just one of many
things the media has said about Gore that is a gross distortion of what he said or
did.

http://archive.salon.com/tech/col/ro...net/index.html

Perhaps the man should learn to express himself more clearly.

Ron
Old July 2nd 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:

Which has not a thing to do with Al Gore.

It doesn't really matter what you say, Les - there are people who absolutely know
better then you what *really* happened. In all seriousness, that's just one of many
things the media has said about Gore that is a gross distortion of what he said or
did.

http://archive.salon.com/tech/col/ro...net/index.html

Perhaps the man should learn to express himself more clearly.

Ron

Well, the way he is helps US elite students to get some recreational
activities:
http://hacks.mit.edu/Hacks/by_year/1996/gore/