Tips on carbon fiber WSD bikes?

Old January 1st 11, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jean

Default Tips on carbon fiber WSD bikes?

I'm looking to replace my old road bike with a carbon fiber model. My
criteria a women's specific design, comfy for all day riding, smooth
riding, light weight, Shimano 105 components, and preferably a triple crank.

Via the web, I've checked out the specs and reviews for following bikes:
Cannondale (Synapse Fem 5), Felt (ZW5), Giant (Avail Advanced 2), Trek
(Madrone 3.1WSD), or Specialized (Ruby Elite Apex). I was hoping y'all might
have some insights into these bikes so that I could minimize driving all
over the state (there are no local dealers for most of these brands) to do
the final fit check-out and test ride.

So here goes. Assuming equally good fit and tire size/psi - Do any of these
bikes stand out as more smooth riding? Do any of these bikes stand out as
more comfy for all day long cruising? Does anyone have any idea how the
weights compare for the same size bike?

Thanks for any help trying to trim down my list of potential bikes.

Jean

Old January 1st 11, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

When you said "women's specific design", my eyes glazed over for some
reason.

I would suggest that you measure the WSD frame you're considering vs.
a standard frame in your size. I think the differences will be
negligible, and nothing that could not be corrected with the proper
choice and adjustment of components. I other words, I suggest that WSD
bikes are a ripoff and an attempt to pander to women because they are
not significantly different from standard bikes.

Old January 1st 11, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_3_]

"Jean" wrote in message ...
[...]

I'm probably a bit prejudiced, having purchased a Specialized Tarmac recently.
I've been happy with mine. I think that the Ruby is similar to the Tarmac or the Roubaix.

The geometry makes it a bit less butt over elbows as you use the hoods more.
With the 105 brake/shifters it's pretty nice. I find it very comfortable on rides ~100k
or so.

I test drove models from both Trek and Giant and wasn't very comfortable on
either. I had been riding a Bianchi Volpe (sport tour) for years. The Tarmac
surprised me.

Just my opinions. Comfort is very subjective, but I'm sure that you'll test ride these before deciding. Good luck.
Old January 1st 11, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 1, 1:43*pm, "Jean" wrote:
[...]

Get fitted by someone who listens and doesn't set you up to race if
you're not gonna race. If you're not gonna race, don't **** away money
on a carbon frame, IMHO. You can get an aluminum Synapse with 105 for
1300 list, and perhaps a 2010 for even less. Carbon is 1100 more,
which can buy stuff that truly affects comfort, like a good saddle,
fancy bar tape or different bars, pedals, and a pair of Sidis. Also
worth seeing if your future bike can take a 28mm tire, which at 90 psi
is going to be the cheapest way to be both comfortable, and avoid
pinch flats.
Old January 1st 11, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

See http://www.m5-ligfietsen.nl/site/EN/Models/Carbon_High_Racer.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old January 1st 11, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 1, 1:43*pm, "Jean" wrote:
[...]

If you would post more information about specifics as to what you are
riding now, and details of your riding habits,
you could get more helpful advice.

Do you have some good "fit" data? As others have said, that's the
place to start.

"WSD" didn't work for my other half, at all, in her required 47cm
center-to-center seat tube length, including stock sizes from lots of
different makers up and down the price scale, also including 700c and
650c wheels. She got a custom-made "real" WSD bike that is comfortable
and a good (excellent IMHO) handler and yes, I did sneak a ride or two
on it, in addition to observing her. Excellent stability in strong,
choppy crosswinds with a light rider aboard, for one important aspect
of the riding experience.

Hers is a road pattern, meant for riding in faster recreational "racer-
dude" groups. If you're cruising at slower speeds, especially over
longer time spans, you might well want a more upright position (and
other differences in layout) in the first place. Hence the request for
specifics IRT your current bike and riding style.
--D-y
Old January 2nd 11, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jan 1, 11:43 am, "Jean" wrote:
I'm looking to replace my old road bike with a carbon fiber model. My
criteria a women's specific design...

Carbon fiber notwithstanding, have you seen:

http://sweetpeabicycles.com/

snip
Old January 2nd 11, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Jan 1, 7:43*pm, "Jean" wrote:
I'm looking to replace my old road bike with a carbon fiber model. My
criteria a women's specific design, comfy for all day riding, smooth
riding, light weight, Shimano 105 components, and preferably a triple crank.

I'm guessing your 'old bike' is getting tough on the hills. There is
an alternative, stop for a picnic.

Via the web, I've checked out the specs and reviews for following bikes:
Cannondale (Synapse Fem 5), Felt (ZW5), Giant (Avail Advanced 2), Trek
(Madrone 3.1WSD), or Specialized (Ruby Elite Apex). I was hoping y'all might
have some insights into these bikes so that I could minimize driving all
over the state (there are no local dealers for most of these brands) to do
the final fit check-out and test ride.

Unless you can get them to agree at their risk, or yours at a nominal
sum, to you having the bike for 24hrs so you can see if rides well all
day, I'd more likely thinnk that the bike you have is very close to
being satisfactory, otherwise it wouldn't be 'old'. New bar tape can
help revive the metal for up to six months.

So here goes. Assuming equally good fit and tire size/psi - Do any of these
bikes stand out as more smooth riding? *Do any of these bikes stand out as
more comfy for all day long cruising? Does anyone have any idea how the
weights compare for the same size bike?

Thanks for any help trying to trim down my list of potential bikes.

Really, the closest is probably the bike you've got, try some spanking
new bar tape.
Old January 3rd 11, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jan 1, 11:43*am, "Jean" wrote:
[...]

BTW, Madone -- or as we say, MadOne. The Synapse has a reputation for
being soft. How you get a triangulated structure to be soft, I don't
know -- except laterally through the BB. Anyway, if I were buying a
bike, I would test ride it, even if it meant driving all over the
state. Do you know anyone who owns these bikes, and can you borrow
for a ride? All things equal, I would go for Specialized, Trek or
Cannondale because of the warranty and dealer network. All three are
manufacturing their mid-priced CF (or all their CF) in Taiwan, which
is not a bad thing since they have the process dialed in. -- Jay
Beattie.
Old January 3rd 11, 06:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Jean" wrote in message
[...]

Jean: I can only speak to the Trek Madone, since that's what I sell. The
new Madone 3.1 is a pretty nice machine, and I really like the fact that
it's one of the few that still has real live eyelets on the rear
dropouts, making it easy to attach a rack or fenders. The spacing is
wide enough between the chainstays to easily accomodate a 25c tire (it
comes stock with 23), and has a classic road geometry, nothing so short
that you can't ride it all day comfortably. Trek has been pretty good
about keeping chainstay length reasonable, which helps not just with
stability when descending, but also with shifting as well. I'm not at
the shop right now so I don't have a weigh handy, but it's actually an
ounce or two lighter than the higher-end Madone 4.5.

Keep in mind it's available in a compact-crank version only, no triple.
If you need really low gears, the rear derailleur can be changed to a
long cage version and you can install an 11-32, 11-34 or even an 11-36
in the back.

Ultimately, what really makes the bike the *right* bike may be finding a
dealer who understands your dreams, how you'd like to ride, and can fit
it properly to you. Fit is *really* important.

Hope this helps-

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com