Watch out - its silly season on the roads

Old December 22nd 03, 02:52 PM
Spider1977

Default Watch out - its silly season on the roads

Holiday season and lots of bikes on the roads, road cyclists in training
and plenty of touring bikes. It seems to bring out the aggressive, idiot
motorists who just hate having to slow down and wait a few seconds to
pass a cyclist. Better idea is to scare the ****e out of the vulnerable
unsuspecting person on two wheels.

I've had two incidents in the past week:

1) Victorian plated Mercedes 4WD decided to come up as close to the
bunch I was riding in. Slam on the brakes close to the last guy, pull
out wildly to overtake and then cut in as close as he could. This was
all theatrics as there was clear vision down the road for 500m, at
least, with no oncoming traffic. Did the same to a solo rider about
200m in front of our bunch.

2) In a road race on the weekend. Passing through a town doing about
40kph with a speed limit in town of 60. idiot in a Black SWB Land
Cruiser (Tas CS rego) with tandem trailer decides to scare me and a
fellow rider by passing as close to us as possible. Only the stupid
idiot didn't reckon on his trailer, or maybe he did. Anyway it, the
mudguard, took the side out of my shoe, but i stayed upright. I was
more angry than anything at the time. In hindsight the ******* could
have ripped off one of my toes, the side of my foot, or worse still I
could have ended up with major injuries.

So please be careful out on the roads this holiday season. There's no
use counting on motorists to look out for you. Stay well and stay
upright.

Old December 23rd 03, 03:53 AM
gescom

4wd's are the car of choice for rednecks then. P platers aren't fa
behind I would have to say. Last weekend I had a car full of hoon
swerve into the shoulder of the road as I was climbing a hill

Those extra wide caravans are also a danger to cyclists. Same trip on
passed me and I thought 'my god how did that not hit me'. The driver
don't realise how wide they are

In your 2nd case spider your speed is probably what helped you avoi
injury. Maybe you should have taken down the drivers number plate

-

Old December 23rd 03, 05:18 AM
Rheilly Phoull

"gescom" wrote in message
.com...
4wd's are the car of choice for rednecks then. P platers aren't far
behind I would have to say. Last weekend I had a car full of hoons
swerve into the shoulder of the road as I was climbing a hill.

Those extra wide caravans are also a danger to cyclists. Same trip one
passed me and I thought 'my god how did that not hit me'. The drivers
don't realise how wide they are.

In your 2nd case spider your speed is probably what helped you avoid
injury. Maybe you should have taken down the drivers number plate.

I reckon it's a bit too easy to blame a type of vehicle for it's driver,
after all it only reacts to the actions of the driver. Pretty much like
saying "bloody push bikes, they are are all ridden by kamakazi hoons". You
wouldn't have to look too hard to find examples of either but it's human
nature to only remember affronts.

--
Regards ............... Rheilly Phoull

Old December 23rd 03, 05:53 AM
powinc

There is no doubt that the people who taunt and abuse cyclists have les
brains than normal people. I was as struck by a stone like object throw
from a car full of hoons recently. It stung a little bit, but no bi
deal. As they drove off into Torquay (Vic) I noted the model of thei
car and reg. Then when I got in Torquay I found it parked at th
McDonalds. I was ready to ride up and bend the antenna in half, but i
became clear the kid was driving him mum's car and I didn't touch it

But I do agree, summer brings out the carfull of hoons ready to d
stupid things

powin

-

Old December 24th 03, 02:15 AM
Allister McLaren

powinc wrote in message .com...
I was ready to ride up and bend the antenna in half, but it
became clear the kid was driving him mum's car and I didn't touch it.

Do it. Let him explain it to mumsy.
Old December 24th 03, 05:15 AM
Stomper

"powinc" wrote in message
. com...
There is no doubt that the people who taunt and abuse cyclists have less
brains than normal people. I was as struck by a stone like object thrown
from a car full of hoons recently. It stung a little bit, but no big
deal. As they drove off into Torquay (Vic) I noted the model of their
car and reg. Then when I got in Torquay I found it parked at the
McDonalds. I was ready to ride up and bend the antenna in half, but it
became clear the kid was driving him mum's car and I didn't touch it.

powinc,

you have more self restraint than me.... I would have kicked the **** out of
the panels, bent the antenna and then waited for the pimpled face scum bag
to come out Maccas!!!!!!

Karl aka Stomper

Old December 24th 03, 05:53 AM
cfsmtb

Allister McLare wrote:
Do it. Let him explain it to mumsy.

gosh, where's your christmas spirit?

but balancing up the karma, the antenna's harder to explain away than a
sports drink/sugary energy goop liberally dispersed on the duco at the
traffic lights....

Old December 24th 03, 08:33 AM
Deep Freud Moors

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 05:15:11 GMT, "Stomper"
wrote:

"powinc" wrote in message
.com...
There is no doubt that the people who taunt and abuse cyclists have less
brains than normal people. I was as struck by a stone like object thrown
from a car full of hoons recently. It stung a little bit, but no big
deal. As they drove off into Torquay (Vic) I noted the model of their
car and reg. Then when I got in Torquay I found it parked at the
McDonalds. I was ready to ride up and bend the antenna in half, but it
became clear the kid was driving him mum's car and I didn't touch it.

powinc,

you have more self restraint than me.... I would have kicked the **** out of
the panels, bent the antenna and then waited for the pimpled face scum bag
to come out Maccas!!!!!!

Aiiiiy, that's the christmas spirit!!! Imagine him having to
explaining THAT to his mum and dad!!!!
---
DFM
Old December 25th 03, 02:10 AM
Arpit

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 05:53:06 GMT, powinc wrote:

There is no doubt that the people who taunt and abuse cyclists have less
brains than normal people. I was as struck by a stone like object thrown
from a car full of hoons recently. It stung a little bit, but no big
deal. As they drove off into Torquay (Vic) I noted the model of their
car and reg. Then when I got in Torquay I found it parked at the
McDonalds. I was ready to ride up and bend the antenna in half, but it
became clear the kid was driving him mum's car and I didn't touch it.

i can only say wow at your self restraint, i mean gosh, they could've
killed you I would ive broken the window wipers off at the very
least
But I do agree, summer brings out the carfull of hoons ready to do
stupid things.

powinc

Old December 25th 03, 09:06 AM
D & M Johnston

"Deep Freud Moors" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

"powinc" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah..I can just imagine his version of events......"yeah dad, this dickhead
on a pushy just rode up beside me at the lights, while i was minding my own
business, he just ripped off the antenna and started kicking the panels...by
the time i got out to punch his lights out, he ****ed off through stop
lights and down a laneway...I couldn't do anything..he looked like he was
drug crazed or somethin'"!!