build up or buy?

Old March 15th 05, 04:56 AM
chrisfreeman

Default build up or buy?

Are there any significant savings to be had in building up a bike versus
purchasing a complete bike at the LBS? I've started saving up for a new
bike but thought about the prospect of slowly building a bike up over a
time period. While I think it would be a worthwhile endeavor to piece
together a bike, I don't know if it would save any money or if it might
actually be more expensive.

Thanks,
chris

Old March 15th 05, 05:18 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:56:07 -0600, chrisfreeman wrote:

Are there any significant savings to be had in building up a bike versus
purchasing a complete bike at the LBS? I've started saving up for a new
bike but thought about the prospect of slowly building a bike up over a
time period. While I think it would be a worthwhile endeavor to piece
together a bike, I don't know if it would save any money or if it might
actually be more expensive.

If you can find a built-up bike that has the parts you want on it (or if
the components don't matter too much to you), then it is cheaper than
building one yourself. For me, though, with at least a full bike's worth
of parts always sitting around in boxes in the basement, I can save by
just getting a few parts.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems.
_`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

Old March 15th 05, 05:29 AM
Bob

You're unlikely to save any money by building using all the latest new
components versus buying a complete bike. Building with used or new but
"last year's model" components is another matter entirely.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old March 15th 05, 01:23 PM
MJR

I've always found it to be more expensive to build. It's kind of
sad... because I love the DIY thing... but the reality is that a bike
manufacturer will always get components for cheaper than you can (I'm
not talking about used parts here). Even closeout prices are often not
at the big manufacturer's (or even some small ones) price point.

That being said... I took a year or so to gather parts for a Gios frame
that I got reallly cheap. By the time I was done, I think that I was
riding a full Campy Veloce bike for under $800. The frame was used,
but the rest of it was brand new. And, I got to do it all the way I
liked it....

If you're patient enough to grow the bike over a year or so, you may
save some money. But my advice to someone who wants to build-up is
DONT do it to save money... DO do it because you love the process.

Old March 15th 05, 01:41 PM
Peter Cole

chrisfreeman wrote:
Are there any significant savings to be had in building up a bike

versus
purchasing a complete bike at the LBS? I've started saving up for a

new
bike but thought about the prospect of slowly building a bike up over

time period. While I think it would be a worthwhile endeavor to piece

together a bike, I don't know if it would save any money or if it

might
actually be more expensive.

It really depends on how good a deal you can get on components. I think
it's impossible to get a deal on a full set of components at once, so
you need to be prepared to collect them over some period of time.
Closeouts, Ebay, flea markets, etc. are good sources, you'll wind up
with a mixed collection -- not necessarily a bad thing.

I tend to buy "replacement" parts whenever I see a great deal. When the
pile of parts acquires critical mass, I assemble into a bike. The last
(bi)cycle took 2 years.

The last MTB I bought I tore down for parts without ever riding it.
Don't overlook this possibility. Sometimes you can find a new bike on
clearance for a really great price. Even if it doesn't fit you, it may
work out to use it for parts & sell or use on other bikes the parts you
don't want.

Old March 15th 05, 03:40 PM
Matt O'Toole

Peter Cole wrote:

It really depends on how good a deal you can get on components. I
think it's impossible to get a deal on a full set of components at
once, so you need to be prepared to collect them over some period of
time. Closeouts, Ebay, flea markets, etc. are good sources, you'll
wind up with a mixed collection -- not necessarily a bad thing.

I've seen entire groups on sale at times, either from discount bike stores or
eBay. Under $400 for a Veloce group, for example. This was about a year ago.

Sometimes you can get an entire bike on sale from a discount place for less than
the same equipment group would cost otherwise. So people buy the bike, strip
off what they want, and sell the rest.

Matt O.

Old March 15th 05, 04:27 PM
John Everett

On 15 Mar 2005 04:41:46 -0800, "Peter Cole"
wrote:

chrisfreeman wrote:
Are there any significant savings to be had in building up a bike
versus purchasing a complete bike at the LBS?

It really depends on how good a deal you can get on components. I think
it's impossible to get a deal on a full set of components at once, so
you need to be prepared to collect them over some period of time.

When I was racing our team had a sponsorship deal with an LBS that
included buying parts at dealer net. Once when I had a MTB frame given
to me I purchased a "build kit" from the shop. It did indeed include a
"full set of components at once" (Shimano Deore LX), including wheels
(Wheelsmith built Mavic X221 rims on the LX hubs) and tires. I don't
know who packages the "build kits", but I was in the shop when the kit
arrived and it was all packed in one box, so I know the shop didn't
make it up.

I mentioned the dealer net deal because several times I spotted
components in mail order catalogs or on the net. When I asked about
ordering the same parts on our sponsorship deal I was told the shop
couldn't get those parts at the prices being advertised. Items that I
recall specifically included a Dura Ace 8-speed to 9-speed upgrade
kit, and a Selle Italia Flite saddle, both of which I was advised to
purchased from the mail order source.

It probably should not come as a complete surprise that the shop in
question went out of business a couple of years ago. :-(

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old March 15th 05, 04:52 PM
Ken

chrisfreeman wrote in news:MbtZd.20682$y%.15628
@fe07.lga:
Are there any significant savings to be had in building up a bike versus
purchasing a complete bike at the LBS?

No. Even if you troll EBay for bargains, you are not likely to find new
components for less than a complete bike package. The reason to build a bike
up from parts is that you get to choose exactly what parts (brands, models,
sizes, etc.) that you want. You may also have parts from old bikes that you
want to re-use (especially wheels).
Old March 15th 05, 05:25 PM
MJR

Ken wrote:
chrisfreeman wrote in

@fe07.lga:
Are there any significant savings to be had in building up a bike

versus
purchasing a complete bike at the LBS?

No. Even if you troll EBay for bargains, you are not likely to find

new
components for less than a complete bike package. The reason to

build a bike
up from parts is that you get to choose exactly what parts (brands,

models,
sizes, etc.) that you want.

Ken, not the only reason. I think that there is still a "fun factor"
in building your own.

On the trolling Ebay thing... Ebay prices have become a rip-off.
People who formerly made their living by selling Amway have now
migrated to Ebay. Its not like there are people selling stuff
person-to-person anymore == and those that are usually inflate their
shipping and handling to the point that you'll (on average) usually
save no more than 15% off retail prices on Ebay. I'd rather pay retail
and at least get some customer service.

On ebay, you may occasionally find a good deal. But not often. And,
if you work for more than $10 an hour at your job, the time you spend
dealing with Ebay could be better spent at work, and then buy the thing
you want retail (or mail order retail).

Old March 15th 05, 05:31 PM
Matt O'Toole

Ken wrote:

chrisfreeman wrote in
news:MbtZd.20682$y%.15628 @fe07.lga:

Are there any significant savings to be had in building up a bike
versus purchasing a complete bike at the LBS?

No. Even if you troll EBay for bargains, you are not likely to find
new components for less than a complete bike package. The reason to
build a bike up from parts is that you get to choose exactly what
parts (brands, models, sizes, etc.) that you want. You may also have
parts from old bikes that you want to re-use (especially wheels).

I think this is true. As I said, you might find a bargain on a component group,
but the real bargains are in full bikes. I bought an Ultegra bike with less
than 500 miles on it for much less than the components would have cost, even
well used. It's not hard to find practically new bikes for less than half their
retail value. It's like new cars but worse, they depreciate like crazy the
minute they leave the dealer.

Matt O.