How Do These Airborne Specs Look?

Old July 24th 05, 12:41 AM
Gooserider

Default How Do These Airborne Specs Look?

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
NYC XYZ wrote:
Bill Sornson wrote:

NYC, Just frigging go to a shop already; why is that so distasteful
for you?!?

Well, I guess I'd be ****ing off folks there, too -- so why not come
here and do it? =)

Also, I'd feel obligated to buy something for all the questions I'd
pepper them with. Besides, they'd have other customers coming and
going...etc.

One last try.

The idea is to buy a bike. You go to a shop, tell them about the kind of
riding you do (or want/plan to do), and listen to their advice. You try
out what they have to offer. Maybe something really grabs you; maybe
nothing really does. Repeat a few times at /various/ bike shops, and
either pick something or wait a while longer.

Or, just buy one of those Airbornes and make it work.

To be fair, Airborne does appear to have a pretty detailed online fit
program. Whether a buyer will end up with a racer-type fit or a real world
comfortable fit is unclear, but they do measure inseam, torso length, and
arm extension. They also set buyers up with different crankarm lengths
according to inseam, and provide differing handlebar widths. That's pretty
thorough. I would imagine even a newbie could get a pretty good fit this
way. I'm certain a buyer could inform Airborne of the desire to get the bars
up. I would rather spend this kind of money at an LBS, though.

Old July 24th 05, 12:53 AM
Gooserider

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for the ref -- I've never heard of "tensioned leather"...sounds
like a throw-back to yesteryear!

The more this thread develops, the more I'm getting a sense of that
"blind men describing different parts of an elephant"...where I'm all
three blind men!

Sigh...gotta learn with some $$$ what saddles suit me, I see. So I'm
gonna get a Serfas RX and one of these leather thinggies, too, and see!

I have to agree with the Brooks B17 recommendation. Even though I'm
fortunate to never have ridden an uncomfortable saddle---I have an el cheapo
Velo on my town bike, a Performance house cheapo on my MTB, and Brooks B17s
on both road bikes. I used a Specialized Body Geometry for years, and it was
one of the gimmicky saddles with the cutout. Very comfortable. The Brooks,
however, become YOURS once they're broken in. Break-in doesn't take as long
as you would imagine, and the saddle is still comfortable before. They're
great, they're handmade, and they look fantastic.

Old July 24th 05, 12:56 AM
Gooserider

wrote in message
oups.com...
Get yourself into a LBS and have them

find you something that is just right for you. They can swap out stems
and handlebars and seats (for a small upcharge usually, sometimes
they'll do even trades) and get it dialled in. Mail-order shops can't
do
that for you.

There are no small charges at an lbs. They will want $30 for a stem
you can get for$10 online. LBS have crappy return policies. Order
saddles online then you can return them . Or get a Brooks B17 and be in
bliss. I wouldnt hesitate to buy a bike online.

I have bought online and got a good result. I knew my size and exactly what
I wanted, and I'm a capable wrench. If somebody is lacking those
qualifications, then an LBS would be a good idea. I did have my LBS build my
new bike, but I bought a bunch of parts myself. The shop owner showed me his
QBP catalog, and I beat his prices on the drivetrain components and brakes.
I got my handlebar from Rivendell, since it's their bar. Everything else I
got from the shop, and they gave me 10% off accessories. They were able to
beat everybody's price on my fenders and rack, too.

Old July 24th 05, 01:06 AM
Gooserider

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

RonSonic wrote:

"In some distant land it is possible that bicycle seats are made out of
rainbow
and stuffed with cloud. In this world it's easier to just get used to
something
hard."

Ah, straight out of the '80s Charmin commercial!

Heres the deal, upright position puts more weight on your ass it also
forces
your legs around the saddle at an awkward angle unless you set the seat
too low.
Which puts yet more weight on your ass and kills your pedalling
efficiency.
That big sofa-like saddle will require that you set it low.

There is no reason for a saddle like that to be light. It simply cannot
be fast
anyway.

Ah, yes, conventional wisdom. That's why it's so hard for me to find a
"comfort bike" with "performance" specs!

Really? Here are some:

Trek Pilot series:

http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/Road...ilot/Index.php

Trek Comfort Road series:
http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/Road...Road/Index.php

Gunnar Sportmy recommedation)

http://www.gunnarbikes.com/sport.php

Specialized Sequoia:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...?sid=05Sequoia

Jamis Ventura Sport:

http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/05_venturasport.html

And, of course, Rivendell(possibly the origins of comfort road bikes)

http://www.rivbike.com/html/bikes_ra...letframes.html

Those choices are but a handful. There are far more. Have fun!

Old July 24th 05, 01:13 AM
di

"Gooserider" wrote in message
.. .

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

My Schwinn Peloton was also made in Taiwan. Of course, it's a pre-Pacific
buyout Schwinn. My Mongoose MTB was made in Taiwan a LOOOONG time before
China entered the game. And, naturally, my Gunnar was made in Wisconsin
from American made True Temper steel. My conscience is clear.

I have 4 Cannondales & 1 Rans, all are American made frames, just wish I
could say the same about the components.

Old July 24th 05, 02:44 AM
Gooserider

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

My Schwinn Peloton was also made in Taiwan. Of course, it's a pre-Pacific
buyout Schwinn. My Mongoose MTB was made in Taiwan a LOOOONG time before
China entered the game. And, naturally, my Gunnar was made in Wisconsin
from American made True Temper steel. My conscience is clear.

I have 4 Cannondales & 1 Rans, all are American made frames, just wish I
could say the same about the components.

You really have to respect Cannondale. They've always made their frames in
the US, even the "entry level" ones. That's great. Now they do have their
carbon frame made in Taiwan, but they're not in financial shape to invest
big bucks in domestic carbon production. When getting parts together for my
Gunnar, it was impossible to spec an all-American bike. My frame, fork, and
bottle cages are US made. The rest are Japanese, British, Italian, German,
and Taiwanese. But NO CHINESE. :-)

Old July 24th 05, 02:49 AM
Dane Jackson

In rec.bicycles.misc RonSonic wrote:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/surly....html#complete

That's a pretty damn cool bike. One could quibble about some of the component
choices but no disagreeing that they're a great bang for the buck package. A
bunch of upgrades and this'll cost as much as what the OP was looking at.

Unless you really object to bar-cons I don't really think it needs much
upgrading. The wheels were a little underspec'ed for me, but I got some
miles out of them before I destroyed them. The rear derailleur got toasted
by a broken chain and replaced with an Ultegra I had lying around. Who
really cares what spec the front derailleur is on a double? The only
reason I'd want to replace it is if I want to pop on a granny ring and
turn it into a triple for touring or something.

I've put about 11000 miles on mine in the last 1.5 years or so. It's a
heck of a lot better than my old Giant OCR-2.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade
Old July 24th 05, 07:15 AM

If I have to go buy an engagement ring I want the diamond cheap. Dont
really care how many third world hands heads and feet get chopped for
me to have it. The people in those countries are just uncivilized and
live like animals and are totally lost without European colonial
influence

Old July 24th 05, 08:09 AM
NYC XYZ

It's too bad you're the type who thinks that unless someone agrees with
you, they obviously don't understand -- or is simply trolling.

When you grow up some more, you'll find discussions a lot more
pleasant, even if contrary.

di wrote:

No, you're here to troll and argue, not get information.

How Do These Airborne Specs Look? NYC XYZ General 160 July 28th 05 01:53 PM
Need torque specs for Easton EA70 stem GT Techniques 1 May 30th 05 06:18 PM
Where can I find torque specs for Easton EC90 Equipe? GT Techniques 2 May 29th 05 11:05 PM
Prescription Lens Sun Specs Roger UK 19 March 18th 04 06:39 PM
specs for a 1990 Bridgestone MB-5 fork? Kevin Gammon Mountain Biking 1 July 28th 03 05:20 PM