Chain Tools

Old August 21st 05, 06:10 PM
question man

Default Chain Tools

All -

What do people recommend for chain tools?

Currently, I'm using an old Cyclo brand chain tool, and either I'm
getting weaker in my old age, or chain pins are getting harder to push
out.

The chains I most frequently work on are Shimanos (I'm not sure of the
specific type -- mostly they're 8 speed, I guess)

For those of you who use some sort of 'master link' to split chains,
what do you use to shorten such a chain? Also, what do you use to
unlink a master link when you need to service the chain?

Thanks!

Phil
Old August 21st 05, 06:49 PM

I think you are correct that the pin in modern chains is a little
harder to remove than some of the older/cheaper chains.

My favorite chain breaker is the Park.

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

*****************8

Old August 21st 05, 06:52 PM
D T W .../\\...

"question man" wrote in message
All -

What do people recommend for chain tools?

Currently, I'm using an old Cyclo brand chain tool, and either I'm
getting weaker in my old age, or chain pins are getting harder to push
out.

The chains I most frequently work on are Shimanos (I'm not sure of the
specific type -- mostly they're 8 speed, I guess)

For those of you who use some sort of 'master link' to split chains,
what do you use to shorten such a chain? Also, what do you use to
unlink a master link when you need to service the chain?

Thanks!

Phil

http://www.parktool.com/tool_indexes...ex_chain.shtml

You shorten any chain by removing links, making sure one end has side plates
and one end has the roller. If your using a master link, both ends have the
rollers, and the master link becomes the side plates. It's removed by
squeezing those side plates together, and also moving the adjacent links
together, at the same time. It's easier with a clean, oiled chain, and it's
easier to do than explain ;-)

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest, I've just wasted.

Old August 21st 05, 07:32 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:10:25 GMT, question man
wrote:

For those of you who use some sort of 'master link' to split chains,
what do you use to shorten such a chain?

Either a cheap Ciclo or a mid-level Park. Either one is fine. I only
use it once on any given chain -- to adjust the length when new.

Also, what do you use to
unlink a master link when you need to service the chain?

My hands.

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old August 22nd 05, 06:05 AM
John Thompson

On 2005-08-21, question man wrote:
All -

What do people recommend for chain tools?

I use a Gian Robert chain pliers, but I don't think they're made anymore.
:-(

--

John )
Old August 22nd 05, 03:01 PM
Pat Lamb

question man wrote:
All -

What do people recommend for chain tools?

Currently, I'm using an old Cyclo brand chain tool, and either I'm
getting weaker in my old age, or chain pins are getting harder to push
out.

It's the chain pins. I had the Cyclo and a small CT-5 Park tool, both
of which work fine on SRAM chains.

The chains I most frequently work on are Shimanos (I'm not sure of the
specific type -- mostly they're 8 speed, I guess)

I had to break my first Shimano chain earlier this summer. It was a
bitch. I got the big CT-3 ($25) Park tool in case I ever have to do
that again. Weighs a ton, but has 3 times the leverage.

For those of you who use some sort of 'master link' to split chains,
what do you use to shorten such a chain?

Chain tool that will break the chain and not my hand...

Also, what do you use to
unlink a master link when you need to service the chain?

8" pliers.

Pat
Old August 22nd 05, 04:49 PM

the small parks is an enormous pain if not used in a vice.
have you visited

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg... in%20tools&s=