Commuting to Canary Wharf - advice sought

Old January 25th 09, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Commuting to Canary Wharf - advice sought

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:00:46 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

snip

And now back to playing with my new Bachmann Deltic.

Guy

Now why am I not surprised by that?

Have you got the answer to that question your were posed earlier:

Do you think that as a pedestrian you are more likely to be hit by a
bike being intentionally ridden along the path than you are by a car
being intentionally driven along the path?

Come on Guy - you know the answer - why do you not want to tell us?

(You could cross your fingers when you typed the answer and then it
wouldn't really count)

judith

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy

Old January 25th 09, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, JNugent wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009, Phil Cook wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

If you want to see some *real* traffic holdups, try the bus jams on
Oxford Street.

I've seen them, and marvelled at the sheer stupidity of it.

The Lib Dems have a good idea here
http://glalibdems.org.uk/news/000298...trianised.html

Which in a nutshell is to close the street to all traffic and run
trams down it.

Ken was pushing the same idea at some point. I think everyone agrees
it's a good idea, it's just a question of finding the money for it.

The only problem is what you do with all the bus routes that go down
it. Do you send them via other routes, thus making those roads more
congested? Or do you cut them in half, turning round at (new bus
stations at) Marble Arch and St Giles's Circus, thus eliminating
cross-London routes?

Would a "bus journey" from (say) Holborn Circus to Notting Hill Gate
then automatically involve a walk from St Giles to Marble Arch?

No, a tram ride from St Giles to Marble Arch. The plan is to close the
street to motor traffic *and* run trams down it.

But would there be a point to it?
Old January 26th 09, 05:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nuxx Bar

On Jan 25, 3:22*pm, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 04:53:55 -0800 (PST), said
in
:

" Oxford Street is still bisected by a panting wall of red metal. Can
we really leave it as it is? "

Ha! Whatever his faults, Boris certainly knows how to turn a phrase.

And we know what *you* think his faults are. He's not a motorist-
hating freak like his predecessor, so it doesn't matter how much he
helps cyclists, or the fact that he's a cyclist himself: as far as
you're concerned, how much someone hates motorists (and lies about it)
is the *only* measure of their worthiness.

Why do you pretend to be a "pro-cycling" campaigner, when you're
actually just an anti-motorist campaigner, and the "pro-cycling" thing
is just a front? Why do you support speed cameras despite knowing
that they kill people? Why are you so hellbent on making things hard
for drivers, no matter what the adverse consequences to *everyone*?
Old January 26th 09, 05:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:59:49 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

Have you actually ever been to Oxford Street?

About 25 years ago I worked on Saturdays on Oxford Street.

The problem with the busses on Oxford Street is they use Oxford street
as part of a longer route. If instead Transport for London routed all
busses to avoid Oxford Street and introduced a simple shuttle bus
service, a great many of the bus congestion problems would be
eliminated.
Old January 26th 09, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

I can't understand why there's not a lot more river
transport in London. Seems the perfect way of getting around.

That's the answer, dig up Oxford Street and turn it into a canal
Old January 26th 09, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
congokid

In article
,
" writes

. I can't understand why there's not a lot more river
transport in London. Seems the perfect way of getting around.

There used to be a river bus service, and it was slow, uncomfortable and
expensive.

It appears the current riverboat service could get me from very near
where I live to very near where I used to work (Blackfriars) in about 25
minutes, which certainly beats the bus and tube, but I can't find any
timetables or fares online. What I can find suggests that services are
very infrequent.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old January 26th 09, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

[...]

Yes, Centrepoint.

I'm so sharp i could cut myself!

Sorry. The idea, AIUI, is that a tram route with the same capacity would
(a) be quicker and (b) be more pedestrian-friendly, as it would involve a
lower frequency of vehicles, constrained to a narrower route, as well as
being quieter and cleaner.

tom

--
Finals make a man mean; let's fusc up and write!
Old January 26th 09, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

wrote:

Have you actually ever been to Oxford Street?

About 25 years ago I worked on Saturdays on Oxford Street.

That must have been fun!

Also, apologies for my sarkiness.

The problem with the busses on Oxford Street is they use Oxford street
as part of a longer route. If instead Transport for London routed all
busses to avoid Oxford Street and introduced a simple shuttle bus
service, a great many of the bus congestion problems would be
eliminated.

Interesting point. I've never heard serious consideration given to doing
this - i wonder why not? Is there nowhere else to send the buses? Is there
too much demand for destinations along or near the ends of Oxford Street?
Has it just not occurred to anyone?

tom

--
Finals make a man mean; let's fusc up and write!

Technical advice sought please. salmon UK 11 February 18th 07 10:46 AM
Canary Wharf TooSore UK 11 February 25th 06 10:48 PM
Advice on best lock sought Rudi Lutz UK 17 September 26th 05 01:22 PM
Cycling into Canary Wharf Vivian UK 2 May 9th 04 08:49 PM
Cycle Commute from Kilburn to Canary Wharf Steve Nelson UK 15 January 23rd 04 12:40 AM