A bicycle's "fuel" efficiency!

Old October 12th 09, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
[email protected][_2_]

Default A bicycle's "fuel" efficiency!

Fellow cyclists,

I'm sorry for the this post's automobile-slant. Still, as you'll read
below, it's totally related to cycling:

What do you think of this contraption:
http://bmw.tv/com/article/The+simple...2&channelID=2?

If you're interested in buying one, this site has more info:
http://www.greendiary.com/entry/bmw-...ve-simplicity/

According to the above site, the BMW only gets a 18 MPGs.

Still, my tricycle's "MPGs" (which, from now on, I'll refer to as MPB
[ miles per banana] ) is 23 MPBs, at least.

Do any of you cyclists have any ideas on how a cyclist could quantify
thier MPBs?

Maybe they could record the amount of food they eat, and then embark
on a long bike ride with a friend. The friend keeps track of thier
miles, and when the guinea pig cyclists faints?

Cullen
Appleton, WI
Old October 13th 09, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Opus[_2_]

On Oct 12, 8:09 pm, " wrote:
snip
Maybe they could record the amount of food they eat, and then embark
on a long bike ride with a friend. The friend keeps track of thier
miles, and when the guinea pig cyclists faints?

Cullen
Appleton, WI

Already been done, the average fit human gets 900 MPG on level ground,
burning ~37 Kcal/mi and comparing that to unleaded regular at 33,000
Kcal/gallon. Comparing that to reformulated unleaded with oxygenates
in the fuel which has only 31,800 Kcal/gallon cyclists don't do quite
as well, but still pretty good.

TdF cyclists on the other hand get pretty much the same calorie burn
per mile climbing mountains, showing the effects of constant training
on muscle efficiency.
Old October 13th 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Cully J

On Oct 13, 9:55*am, Opus wrote:
On Oct 12, 8:09 pm, " wrote:

snip
Maybe they could record the amount of food they eat, and then embark
on a long bike ride with a friend. The friend keeps track of thier
miles, and when the guinea pig cyclists faints?

Cullen
Appleton, WI

Already been done, the average fit human gets 900 MPG on level ground,
burning ~37 Kcal/mi and comparing that to unleaded regular at 33,000
Kcal/gallon. Comparing that to reformulated unleaded with oxygenates
in the fuel which has only 31,800 Kcal/gallon cyclists don't do quite
as well, but still pretty good.

TdF cyclists on the other hand get pretty much the same calorie burn
per mile climbing mountains, showing the effects of constant training
on muscle efficiency.

MPG-calculator for cyclists:

http://ijar.chiggins.com/bicycle-mpg-calculator/

Cullen

Old October 13th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Jym Dyer

Still, my tricycle's "MPGs" (which, from now on, I'll refer
to as MPB [ miles per banana] ) is 23 MPBs, at least.

=v= You run a major risk here, in the sense of guilt by
association, by focusing on bananas ...
Just sayin',
_Jym_

Old October 13th 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Cully J

On Oct 13, 5:43*pm, Jym Dyer wrote:
Still, my tricycle's "MPGs" (which, from now on, I'll refer
to as MPB [ miles per banana] ) is 23 MPBs, at least.

=v= You run a major risk here, in the sense of guilt by
association, by focusing on bananas ...
* * Just sayin',
* * _Jym_

I was going to write MBH (Miles per Hotdog), but I was afraid of
people taking it the wrong way.

I'm glad I did!

Cullen