OT - water shortages 2004

Old November 2nd 03, 10:53 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Default OT - water shortages 2004

Over the weekend I was driving across country, taking offspring to the
velodrome in Manchester. First opportunity to see for my own eyes just how low
reservoirs are adjacent the roads between Sheffield & Manchester. Indeed, some
are virtually empty with vast tracts of reservoir bed exposed. It really sank
home just how dry a year 2003 has been. Next Spring/Summer could be interesting
when water rationing is brought in, methinks! Time to start stocvking up on
bottled water, perhaps!

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old November 2nd 03, 11:20 AM
Zog The Undeniable

Over the weekend I was driving across country, taking offspring to the
velodrome in Manchester. First opportunity to see for my own eyes just how low
reservoirs are adjacent the roads between Sheffield & Manchester. Indeed, some
are virtually empty with vast tracts of reservoir bed exposed. It really sank
home just how dry a year 2003 has been. Next Spring/Summer could be interesting
when water rationing is brought in, methinks! Time to start stocvking up on
bottled water, perhaps!

It's been hissing it down here all night...

Old November 2nd 03, 11:23 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

It's been hissing it down here all night...

Here too - alas the state of the reservoirs means that *months* of hissing down
is required...

Old November 2nd 03, 02:41 PM
MSeries

Over the weekend I was driving across country, taking offspring to the
velodrome in Manchester. First opportunity to see for my own eyes
just how low reservoirs are adjacent the roads between Sheffield &
Manchester. Indeed, some are virtually empty with vast tracts of
reservoir bed exposed. It really sank home just how dry a year 2003
has been. Next Spring/Summer could be interesting when water
rationing is brought in, methinks! Time to start stocvking up on
bottled water, perhaps!

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

In 96 one could walk in a dry resevoir in West Yorkshire and see the ruined
houses and church and bridge over the river that has been submerged since
the dam was built down stream about 40 years prior - spooky.

Old November 2nd 03, 07:01 PM
Peter B

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
Over the weekend I was driving across country, taking offspring to the
velodrome in Manchester. First opportunity to see for my own eyes just how

low
reservoirs are adjacent the roads between Sheffield & Manchester.

Yes Helen, we based our off-road ride at the Fairholmes car park in the
Derwent Valley today (Sun) and were amazed at the low levels of the ressies.
Being a Leicester lad (or old scote depending on your POV) I am dependant
on water from the Derwent.

OTOH Rutland Water is quite low but I've seen it lower by this time of the
year and imagine it will be pumped full by springtime.
The turning point for Rutland, which for some years after privatisation
never appeared to ever be full, was the completion of a pipeline that would
enable Anglian Water to sell water to the southern counties AFAIK. Since
then it has been full every spring which is a costly procedure as the water
is pumped from rivers rather than natural catchment.

Pete

Old November 2nd 03, 10:34 PM
James Hodson

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 14:41:51 -0000, "MSeries"
wrote:

In 96 one could walk in a dry resevoir in West Yorkshire and see the ruined
houses and church and bridge over the river that has been submerged since
the dam was built down stream about 40 years prior - spooky.

There's a dam in the Espace Killy skiing area (Tignes & Val d'Isère).
On one of my visits there (late 80s, early 90s) the entire lake had
been drained to also reveal an old village, complete with a church. I
believe the village had last been seen some 40 years previously.

James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.
Old November 2nd 03, 11:28 PM
VERNON LEVY

In 96 one could walk in a dry reservoir in West Yorkshire and see the
ruined
houses and church and bridge over the river that has been submerged since
the dam was built down stream about 40 years prior - spooky.

I did something similar at Haweswater in the 80's. It is most odd walking
over bridges spanning a stream that last ran several decades ago.
Manchester corporation demolished the village before the valley was flooded.
Someone had recreated the outline of the village church and several of the
buildings, it was a poignant experience,

The Observer this weekend had a picture of Scammenden reservoir showing how
low the water
levels are and the accompanying article suggests that we could be faced with
flood warnings whilst there are hosepipe bans in force in the
South/Southeast, bizarre.

Vernon
in Leeds

Old November 3rd 03, 11:21 AM
MSeries

VERNON LEVY wrote:
The Observer this weekend had a picture of Scammenden reservoir
showing how low the water
levels are and the accompanying article suggests that we could be
faced with flood warnings whilst there are hosepipe bans in force in
the South/Southeast, bizarre.

I drove past Scammonden at the weekend, sure is low but I have seen it
lower. I ride up that way weekly in the summer.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.