Front Suspension for older bike

Old May 12th 05, 09:16 PM
sideshowhaas

Default Front Suspension for older bike

I recently resurrected my '90 Marin Eldridge Grade. Frame is still
bomb-proof. Deore LX/DX components are still in good shape. Replaced
the brake/shifters with some new, old stock ones. Rides like new. I am
now looking for a suspension fork that will be compatable with the
cantilever brakes. I need one that won't bottom out too easily, as I am
6' and about 200lbs. Does any company still make such a fork? Thanks in
advance.

Old May 13th 05, 05:22 AM
jaialai_technology

sideshowhaas wrote:
I recently resurrected my '90 Marin Eldridge Grade. Frame is still
bomb-proof. Deore LX/DX components are still in good shape. Replaced
the brake/shifters with some new, old stock ones. Rides like new. I am
now looking for a suspension fork that will be compatable with the
cantilever brakes. I need one that won't bottom out too easily, as I am
6' and about 200lbs. Does any company still make such a fork? Thanks in
advance.

Uhmm, unless I am totally misunderstanding your question I think you
mean something like www.rockshox.com , right?
plenty more options on a site like pricepoint, for example
http://www.pricepoint.com/thumb/3-Pa...ories-True.htm
Hope that helps

Old May 13th 05, 06:48 PM
spademan o---[) *

To run canti brakes on a suspension fork you'll need to find one with a
brake hanger on the fork brace. Which you probably already knew. Try
looking in the second hand classifieds, ideally you'd want tsomething
with under 3" of travel to suit the frame.
Steve.

Old May 25th 05, 03:00 AM
David

In article .com,
sideshowhaas wrote:

I recently resurrected my '90 Marin Eldridge Grade. Frame is still
bomb-proof. Deore LX/DX components are still in good shape. Replaced
the brake/shifters with some new, old stock ones. Rides like new. I am
now looking for a suspension fork that will be compatable with the
cantilever brakes. I need one that won't bottom out too easily, as I am
6' and about 200lbs. Does any company still make such a fork? Thanks in
advance.

HI there,

You're looking into 2 problems here..

First of all, you neglected to tell us the size of your headset. I'm
guessing that it's probably a 1" version as opposed to the more normal
1 1/8". If it's a 1", then I would say forget about trying to convert.
1" headset suspension fork are pretty rare these days to find. Also
very rare is a cable hanger for your canti brakes.

You don't want to buy used shocks either, just because most of the used
ones out there in the market are pretty beat up and are not worth
having. And comparing to the latest and greatest -- SPV or Terra Logic
-- the Judys and the Quadra 21s of the past are just no match against
them.

My advise to you is this. Buy a new hardtail on clearance if you need
a front shock. It's cheaper and in a proper geometry, plus it won't
bottom out too easily.

David.

Old May 26th 05, 07:23 PM
plowak

I've picked up five Manitou 3, 4, & EFC shocks in the last couple of years
for $40 or less on eBay. Got rid of the elastomeres and mounted WingsSpings
or Mt Spring in all of them. Am very satisfied.

Autofaq now on faster server Simon Brooke UK 216 April 1st 05 10:09 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Some questions etc.. Douglas Harrington General 10 August 17th 04 02:42 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 09:44 PM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 11:49 AM