Cyclist at war!

Old October 14th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Fill Lea

Default Cyclist at war!

ComandanteBanana wrote:
On Oct 15, 3:06 pm, "Road Glidin' Don" wrote:
On Oct 15, 12:59 pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:

On Oct 15, 2:10 pm, Lew wrote:
On 15 Oct 2008, ComandanteBanana wrote in news:9ea7ca05-62f5-472a-b948-

Just wanted to share my latest email with you guys to show what is
going on in Georgia:
Not sure why this was posted to Reeky; this guy was on a bicycle. I
live in Georgia and haven't heard of or experienced much cage vs
motorcycle road rage.
I think this is pretty common all over the land, but MOTORCYCLES DON'T
SLOW DOWN CARS, and that may account for the rage against bicycles.

Then trim motorcycle newsgroups from your posts, you stupid, ****ing
idiot.

You have to see the whole picture. It's like been in Iraq and ignoring
Afghanistan...

There's only one side you can be on, if you know what I mean.

Yeah, the side that thinks bike riders are 'tards
Old October 15th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Well guys, this story happened in Georgia, but I just omitted the rest
of the title (link below) because it could have happened where I live.
And indeed it has happened to me even more scary.

Anyway, after his own account of the facts, it's my reply, which, of
course, advises him, among other things, not to move to my state.

Get ready for this horror story and grab some popcorn (just
kidding)...

Just wanted to share my latest email with you guys to show what is
going on in Georgia:

Hi, guys...

I have been reading a lot lately and have been surprised that in this
day and time, road rage against cyclists is still alive. I have not
ridden a road bike in 20 years but recently started back for health
reasons.

The past 30 days have been a revelation to my outlook on life and
health since picking up my new road bike. But now, I am beginning to
get a glimpse of the dark world painted by posters in the Bike Forums
on the internet. Road rage is there! It really is!

Just this morning, I pumped up the tires on my Madone for a 15-mile
ride through Summergrove just as I have been doing for 4 weeks now.
After spending the last two days with the grandchildren, it was time
for a little off-time for my own sanity and health. Except, there
appear to be people who do not care about your health, or your rights,
or your even your life...and they are your/our neighbors! Yes, they
live... among us...

At 9:00am, I headed out of my little house onto the streets of
Summergrove and made it all of a single block to the park when I
noticed a red imported car (Toyota? Acura?) almost not stop at the
stop sign but grudgingly did so since I was closing in on the
intersection. I continued downhill to the next stop sign and "took the
lane" because my left turn would put me down a short 8% grade to the
next stop sign. I turned left and took the downhill lane again for
safety reasons because the intersection visibility is blocked on the
right at the bottom of the hill at the stop sign.

Halfway down the hill, a LOUD horn almost caused me to wreck! My knee-
jerk reaction was to raise a fist and turn my head. The rude driver
sped around me going down the 8% hill and started yelling out the
window! He stopped quickly at the stop sign causing me to go to the
left so I didn't rear end him and I yelled out something to the
effect, "What the heck is your problem?!!!"

With my feet clipped going through the intersection I was trying to
move on but he turned left with me (he didn't stop, the coward) and,
driving side-by-side, was yelling at me again! Telling me to stay out
of the road and give room for vehicles. By this time, I lost it! I
yelled back that I WAS a vehicle by law and he should look it up! I
repeated that several times!

He kept yelling and I yelled back. I held nothing back as it was a
very dangerous situation and I was not happy!

He yelled again about my language with kids in his car and wanted to
know what church I went to! I let him know what he could do with THAT
bit of information. He never stopped but continued on to church.

After he disappeared, I decided to keep riding and contemplate what
had just happened.

So, I rode half of my route and called 911 to meet with an officer. I
gave the officer my ID, explained the situation and showed him where
the driver lived and asked his recommendation. He said I was fine but
he suggested that he should stop by and explain to the driver what the
law really is and I should not contact him myself.

As if to underscore the issues at hand, while I was talking to the
officer at the scene of the incident, a nice couple passed us and
headed up the same 8% grade on a tandem in the middle of the road!

So, I will leave it at that until next time. But, this afternoon, I
will do another circuit of Summergrove and everyday after that, I will
be on the streets. It is a matter of time before we cross paths again.

911 is only four button-presses on my cell phone but it will be
entertaining to see what transpires in the moments between the next
altercation and the arrival of the police. That is, if I am not
injured or killed.

It is unbelievable that I cannot even ride a block from my house on a
Sunday morning without an altercation with a motorist. One going to
church at that.

Is our cycling community doing anything to promote education about
cycling? If not for the sake of the "old" folks like myself, how about
the youngsters riding bicycles in our neighborhoods? I have already
sent a request to the HOA to email a safety note to all residents but
there has to be much more that we can do.

If you have any suggestions (outside of telling me to keep my mouth
shut), please let me know. It would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

What is the cycling community been doing about education over the last
20 years? Obviously not enough. So, I guess we really are at war, huh?
Strange when the motorists cannot even find enough gas to run around
every day. Maybe that's it. They are ****ed off because we DO NOT use
gas.

Did they ever think we are doing them a favor?

If I survive this, what altercation is next? Is there a car or a
bullet with my name on it?

dave

***

Yes, we are at war, and you are another hero of it. Maybe more so than
those coming back for Iraq, where they fight for Big Oil, and you are
fighting to save it.

The real war is between Big Fish and Little Fish, where you in the
bike are easy lunch.

I don't know what to recommend you, but whatever you do, don't move to
the state immediate to the south (Florida). The little fish here have
even less space.

One place you can check, though, is Athens, Georgia, where I hear the
cyclists earned some respect by way of bike lanes. Good luck in the
jungle!

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=470893

WHY THE BANANA REVOLUTION?
(reason #103: because bananas will never be biofuel for cars!)

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

Old October 15th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
MikeWhy

wrote:

On Oct 15, 2:10 pm, Lew wrote:

On 15 Oct 2008, ComandanteBanana wrote in

Just wanted to share my latest email with you guys to show what is
going on in Georgia:

Not sure why this was posted to Reeky; this guy was on a bicycle. I
live in Georgia and haven't heard of or experienced much cage vs
motorcycle road rage.

I think this is pretty common all over the land, but MOTORCYCLES DON'T
SLOW DOWN CARS, and that may account for the rage against bicycles.

Then trim motorcycle newsgroups from your posts, you stupid, ****ing
idiot.

You have to see the whole picture. It's like been in Iraq and ignoring
Afghanistan...

There's only one side you can be on, if you know what I mean.
---
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm for smooth flowing traffic. The terrorists
in leotards have to go.

Old October 15th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Bob Myers

"ComandanteBanana" wrote in message

Not sure why this was posted to Reeky; this guy was on a bicycle. I
live in Georgia and haven't heard of or experienced much cage vs
motorcycle road rage.

I think this is pretty common all over the land, but MOTORCYCLES DON'T
SLOW DOWN CARS, and that may account for the rage against bicycles.

In that case, the solution is obvious.

You guys need to get engines.

Bob M.

Old October 15th 08, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Vito

"ComandanteBanana" wrote
Halfway down the hill, a LOUD horn almost caused me to wreck! ....

Of course you were going as fast as cars on the same road do, right?