Replacement freewheel

Old April 30th 08, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

Default Replacement freewheel

After 3 snaps in 6 months I replaced my chain last weekend. I measured
the old one in a couple of places and 12 links were pretty much bang on 12
inches so decided I probably didn't need to replace any of the gears....

However the chain is slipping slightly on the smallest cog so I think they
do need replacing (will check the derailleur is right at the weekend
though).

My bike is a GT mountain bike which uses the screw on freewheels rather
than cassettes and as I ride a lot on the road I've been using the shimano
11-34 tooth megarange ones (HG50) for a few years now.

I ordered a replacement from an online shop but they've told me today they
haven't got any as they're discontinued which would explain why nowhere
else seemed to stock them!

Does anybody know anywhere (preferably an online shop) that has any left
in stock? Alternatively does another manufacturer make anything that
would be compatible with my shifters and derailleur?

I don't want to take the plunge just yet and swap to cassettes although
that may be an option in about 6 months time (lack of funds at present -
I'd take the opportunity to go for a rear disc brake as well).

Thanks in advance for any help!

peter
Old April 30th 08, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MJP

"naked_draughtsman" wrote in message
[...]

Loads of freewheels on Ebay mainly 7 speed.

MJP.

Old April 30th 08, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:04:44 -0500, naked_draughtsman
wrote:

snip

My bike is a GT mountain bike which uses the screw on freewheels rather
than cassettes and as I ride a lot on the road I've been using the shimano
11-34 tooth megarange ones (HG50) for a few years now.

I ordered a replacement from an online shop but they've told me today they
haven't got any as they're discontinued which would explain why nowhere
else seemed to stock them!

Does anybody know anywhere (preferably an online shop) that has any left
in stock? Alternatively does another manufacturer make anything that
would be compatible with my shifters and derailleur?

http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/322-6652

say they have them

--

Tim

I understand very little of what's being discussed
but for some reason it's fascinating.

(Jon Thompson, urs)
Old May 1st 08, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

"naked_draughtsman" wrote
My bike is a GT mountain bike which uses the screw on freewheels rather
than cassettes and as I ride a lot on the road I've been using the shimano
11-34 tooth megarange ones (HG50) for a few years now.

I ordered a replacement from an online shop but they've told me today they
haven't got any as they're discontinued which would explain why nowhere
else seemed to stock them!

Does anybody know anywhere (preferably an online shop) that has any left
in stock? Alternatively does another manufacturer make anything that
would be compatible with my shifters and derailleur?

I've used SJS for freewheels and older style bits:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/category-FREEWHEELS-75.htm

They were quick and hassle free.

Old May 1st 08, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

naked_draughtsman wrote:
My bike is a GT mountain bike which uses the screw on freewheels
rather than cassettes and as I ride a lot on the road I've been using
the shimano 11-34 tooth megarange ones (HG50) for a few years now.

If a small helpful local shop can't help, I would try Spa Cycles in
Harrogate, and then try the German mail-order suppliers.
From my looking for spares, more older Shimano parts are available from EU
shops than the UK importer chooses to supply to the UK trade.

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old May 1st 08, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burtthebike

[...]

I can thoroughly recommend Spa Cycles, the advertise in the CTC mag,
excellent prices and quick delivery.

Old May 1st 08, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Thu, 01 May 2008 17:47:15 +0100, burtthebike wrote:

I can thoroughly recommend Spa Cycles, the advertise in the CTC mag,
excellent prices and quick delivery.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll give Spa Cycles a ring tomorrow to
check they have one in stock and ask if they can post it to work instead
for next week.

peter
Old May 1st 08, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ken[_4_]

[...]

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=6069

Ken

Old May 1st 08, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ken[_4_]

"Ken" wrote in message

peter

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=6069

Ken

Oops!, forgot you wanted screw on.

ken

Freewheel Tom Crispin UK 10 September 24th 07 12:13 PM
converting freewheel to freehub - do I need freewheel removal tool? Veggie Techniques 18 September 21st 05 04:52 PM
Freewheel Help Jimmy Hitler UK 3 January 31st 04 09:04 AM
freewheel Zelten Unicycling 0 September 29th 03 12:45 AM
Screw-on freewheel replacement Clive George UK 9 August 5th 03 10:40 PM