Factory built wheels for bigger guys?

Old September 19th 04, 08:59 PM
Matt Johnson

Default Factory built wheels for bigger guys?

I weigh 200 lbs. Does a wheel such as the new Mavic Kysyrium SL or
the Bontrager Racelite belong on my bike?
Old September 19th 04, 10:54 PM
wannagofast

Not for everyday use. Consider Mavic Kysyrium Elites, Cane Ceek Aros, or
Mavic 33s laced 3x to good hubs.

om...

Old September 19th 04, 10:57 PM
daveornee

Matt Johnson Wrote:
I weigh 200 lbs. Does a wheel such as the new Mavic Kysyrium SL or
the Bontrager Racelite belong on my bike?

You certainly can ride either, but I think you will get better service
from standard 32 spoke wheels with high quality 14/15 double butted
spokes and Shimano 105 or Ultegra hubs. The quality of the build has
as a significant effect on the durability of the wheels. Long term
serviceability is better with standard parts and components that use
standard tools and techniques.
Velocity Aerohead rims with OCR for the rear is a very strong rim with
light weight and reasonable pricing.

--
daveornee

Old September 19th 04, 11:09 PM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 07:57:42 +1000, daveornee wrote:

Matt Johnson Wrote:
I weigh 200 lbs. Does a wheel such as the new Mavic Kysyrium SL or the
Bontrager Racelite belong on my bike?

You certainly can ride either, but I think you will get better service
from standard 32 spoke wheels with high quality 14/15 double butted spokes
and Shimano 105 or Ultegra hubs. The quality of the build has as a
significant effect on the durability of the wheels. Long term
serviceability is better with standard parts and components that use
standard tools and techniques.
Velocity Aerohead rims with OCR for the rear is a very strong rim with
light weight and reasonable pricing.

Good advice, and not just for the gravitationally challenged. Actually,
though, 200lbs is not so much; you can indeed use boutique wheels if you
want. Just avoid pedals with ti spindles. Those have quite low weight
limits, and you do not want to be there when it breaks.

To reiterate, there are many reasons why a good handbuilt wheel is better
for all riders. But if you _have_ to have boutique, it'll probably be OK.
Costs an arm and a leg, though, after which you will be lighter, anyway.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
_`\(,_ | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo
(_)/ (_) | Emerson

Old September 20th 04, 04:18 AM
Steve Knight

Velocity Aerohead rims with OCR for the rear is a very strong rim with
light weight and reasonable pricing.

I have a arrowhead in front 3 spoke radial laced and a 36 deep v in back. I
weigh about 232 right now and they really stand up to all the bumps and potholes
I get. and they are cost effective I got them both for less then 300.00

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old September 20th 04, 01:53 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

matt- I weigh 200 lbs. Does a wheel such as the new Mavic Kysyrium SL or
the Bontrager Racelite belong on my bike? BRBR

Not your weight as much as propriatary parts, not well made, crappy hubbed type
wheels that cost too much.

BUT these are light and by adding 200 or grams to a wheelset(6 oinces, less
than 1/2 of a waterbottle) you will have more reliable wheels that cost less.

Not as much interest at the coffee shop before you ride but better wheels are
designed and made by good wheelsbuilders.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302