9 Sp Cassette on a RSX Hub loose

Old September 20th 04, 04:43 PM
RonZ

Default 9 Sp Cassette on a RSX Hub loose

I installed a Shimano 9 Speed cassette on my 8 Sp. RSX hub and even
though it is tightened down all the way there is some play or
looseness on the cassette. I didn't have this problem on a 8 sp. 105
hub. Is there a difference? I thought all 8 speed hubs handled 9
speed cassettes, or do I need a spacer?

Thanks, Ron.
Old September 20th 04, 05:32 PM
Sheldon Brown

RonZ wrote:

I installed a Shimano 9 Speed cassette on my 8 Sp. RSX hub and even
though it is tightened down all the way there is some play or
looseness on the cassette. I didn't have this problem on a 8 sp. 105
hub. Is there a difference? I thought all 8 speed hubs handled 9
speed cassettes, or do I need a spacer?

Does this cassette top out with an 11 tooth sprocket? If so, you may
have a minor incompatibility.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html#hyperdrivec for a detailed explanation.

Sheldon "It Goes To Eleven!" Brown
| Imagination is more important than knowledge. |
| --Albert Einstein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old September 20th 04, 05:48 PM
m-gineering

Sheldon Brown wrote:

RonZ wrote:

I installed a Shimano 9 Speed cassette on my 8 Sp. RSX hub and even
though it is tightened down all the way there is some play or
looseness on the cassette. I didn't have this problem on a 8 sp. 105
hub. Is there a difference? I thought all 8 speed hubs handled 9
speed cassettes, or do I need a spacer?

Does this cassette top out with an 11 tooth sprocket? If so, you may
have a minor incompatibility.

If it is a RSX it should be 11T compatible. Check that the endcog
doesn't wobble when you spin the cassette, it's all to easy to have it
jump out of synch when installing the lockring, and then it won't go
fully home.
If the cassette is tight on the body it could be that the freehub
bearings have develloped play

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

ID this cassette for me ? dianne_1234 Techniques 3 September 6th 04 03:51 AM
Will 11-32 Cassette Fit On 9 Sp Cannondale Expert Hub Dave Thompson Techniques 5 July 1st 04 10:48 AM
what cassette? davek UK 11 May 20th 04 11:59 PM
Question: Cassette Sizing Michael General 6 August 6th 03 01:48 PM