Crank Length for new bicycle

Old December 5th 05, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Crank Length for new bicycle

Just thought I might ask some of the experts out the

Building a bike for the wife. How long should the crank arms be for a
rider that is 5' 7" tall and has a 77.75cm inseam (Inseam measured in
socks from crotch to floor)

Thanks,

Nate

Old December 5th 05, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Reasonable people may differ, but I'd go for a 165cm with 110bcd. I
assume this ain't no cat1 racer. 165 is reasonably short and easily
available. 110bcd gives you a wide variety of chain rings to choose
from. I'd probably go for something like 46 x 36. Nothing wrong with
a triple either.
Regards,
Larry

Old December 5th 05, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

LF wrote:
Reasonable people may differ, but I'd go for a 165cm with 110bcd. I
assume this ain't no cat1 racer. 165 is reasonably short and easily
available. 110bcd gives you a wide variety of chain rings to choose
from. I'd probably go for something like 46 x 36. Nothing wrong with
a triple either.

This is for an MTB, so I will prob go with 22 32 44 rings. I have never
seen an MTB 165mm crank, do they exist?

-Nate

Old December 5th 05, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Llatikcuf wrote:
LF wrote:
Reasonable people may differ, but I'd go for a 165cm with 110bcd. I
assume this ain't no cat1 racer. 165 is reasonably short and easily
available. 110bcd gives you a wide variety of chain rings to choose
from. I'd probably go for something like 46 x 36. Nothing wrong with
a triple either.

This is for an MTB, so I will prob go with 22 32 44 rings. I have never
seen an MTB 165mm crank, do they exist?

-Nate

5' 7" is pretty tall for a woman. Assuming normal proportions, she's
probably got fairly long legs. If it's a MTB, she would probably be OK
with "standard" 175mm cranks, unless she's got knee problems or really
like to spin. In that case, shorter might be better.

FWIW: my wife and I have nearly the same inseam (35" vs. 36"). I'm 6'
4", she's 5' 10". We both ride 175mm cranks on our road bikes.

Jeff

Old December 6th 05, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Llatikcuf wrote:
This is for an MTB, so I will prob go with 22 32 44 rings. I have never
seen an MTB 165mm crank, do they exist?

Don't worry about it. Crank length does not need to be proportional to
leg length.170s are commonly spec'ed for smaller frame sizes and the
vast majority of riders have no trouble performing optimally with that.

Old December 6th 05, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Llatikcuf wrote:
Just thought I might ask some of the experts out the

Building a bike for the wife. How long should the crank arms be for a
rider that is 5' 7" tall and has a 77.75cm inseam (Inseam measured in
socks from crotch to floor)

Thanks,

Nate

I'm 5'5" and use 170's on both my road bike and my MTB. Your wife should
be okay with 170's also.

Jean
Old December 6th 05, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jean wrote:

I'm 5'5" and use 170's on both my road bike and my MTB. Your wife should
be okay with 170's also.

Jean

Very cool, Thanks for the help.

Anybody have a pair of square taper 44/32/22 170mm 9s cranks they want
to sell? The bb is a 113mm.

llatikcuf at gmail dot com

-Nate

Old December 8th 05, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Llatikcuf wrote:

Just thought I might ask some of the experts out the

Building a bike for the wife. How long should the crank arms be for a
rider that is 5' 7" tall and has a 77.75cm inseam (Inseam measured in
socks from crotch to floor)

160 or 165. You might have to get them from TA, because Shimano only
seem to cater for average-to-tall males.

Warning: H*lm*t content Euan Australia 177 August 31st 05 11:28 AM
Top Gear Driving Song David Martin UK 38 June 1st 05 05:05 PM
Children should wear bicycle helmets. John Doe UK 516 December 16th 04 12:04 AM
What doctors/researchers think about wearing a helmet. John Doe UK 304 December 5th 04 01:32 PM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM