Still swimming on the yarra trail

Old November 18th 04, 12:03 AM
sim72

Default Still swimming on the yarra trail

I might be naive, but I thought that three days after the last of th
'drizzle' that the yarra would have subsided enough for a ride. Nup
Turns out dight's falls has extended over the bike path for about 5
metres. It was fairly hairy 2wd-ing through hub-deep murky water (n
bike path visible), into a kayak-worthy current on 700x28 tyres (stil
full of water today). any reports on how it was this morning?
The devastation along the path was also impressive, with a giant pil
of flotsam blocking the track, forcing a cyclocross-esque bush bas
along the embankment.
heard somewhere that it was the worst flooding in 20-odd years. anyon
else take on the soggy trail

--
sim72

Old November 18th 04, 01:53 AM

sim72 wrote in message ...

I might be naive, but I thought that three days after the last of the
'drizzle' that the yarra would have subsided enough for a ride. Nup.
Turns out dight's falls has extended over the bike path for about 50
metres. It was fairly hairy 2wd-ing through hub-deep murky water (no
bike path visible), into a kayak-worthy current on 700x28 tyres (still
full of water today). any reports on how it was this morning?
The devastation along the path was also impressive, with a giant pile
of flotsam blocking the track, forcing a cyclocross-esque bush bash
along the embankment.
heard somewhere that it was the worst flooding in 20-odd years. anyone
else take on the soggy trail?

--
sim72

On Wed morning there were 2 sections of the main Yarra trail near Kew that
had at least 30 cm of water for 10 or 15 metres and needed walking up aound
the adjacent hillside to avoid - I presume these are still a problem -
anybody travel that section today and got a comment??

Old November 18th 04, 02:18 AM
TimC

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 at 00:03 GMT, sim72 (aka Bruce)
heard somewhere that it was the worst flooding in 20-odd years. anyone
else take on the soggy trail?

Gee, and I thought the floods a few months ago were called "the worst
flood in 100 years".

NOT A CHANCE! I know for a *fact* the kittens aren't frightened
by temporal anomalies. Clock watching simply ain't their bag.
John Schmidt@ARK
Old November 18th 04, 02:53 AM
jazmo

a Wrote:
sim72 wrote in message ...

I might be naive, but I thought that three days after the last of the
'drizzle' that the yarra would have subsided enough for a ride. Nup.
Turns out dight's falls has extended over the bike path for about 50
metres. It was fairly hairy 2wd-ing through hub-deep murky water (no
bike path visible), into a kayak-worthy current on 700x28 tyre

(still
full of water today). any reports on how it was this morning?
The devastation along the path was also impressive, with a giant pile
of flotsam blocking the track, forcing a cyclocross-esque bush bash
along the embankment.
heard somewhere that it was the worst flooding in 20-odd years

anyone
else take on the soggy trail?

--
sim72

On Wed morning there were 2 sections of the main Yarra trail near Ke
that
had at least 30 cm of water for 10 or 15 metres and needed walking u
aound
the adjacent hillside to avoid - I presume these are still a problem -
anybody travel that section today and got a comment??

Yep, I don't know about the big one next to the golf course (jus
before you ride next to the freeway) as I avoided that one by goin
through side streets. The other big one after the tunnel that goe
under the freeway (just before that stretch that goes along the Yarr
before Chandler Hwy) is fine and you can ride through that. It doesn'
quite reach the bottom bracket

--
jazmo

Old November 18th 04, 04:13 AM
Marx SS

I caught the pile up of trees just before dights falls (heading out) s
I took the road option for that bit. (only do city trail in th
evenings from work when time allows)

--
Marx SS

Old November 19th 04, 11:01 PM
David Trudgett

sim72 wrote:
I might be naive, but I thought that three days after the last of the
'drizzle' that the yarra would have subsided enough for a ride. Nup.
Turns out dight's falls has extended over the bike path for about 50
metres. It was fairly hairy 2wd-ing through hub-deep murky water

What sort of bike do +you+ have? The chain on mine only goes to +one+
wheel! ;-)

David

--

Who would Jesus bomb?

Old November 19th 04, 11:24 PM
Parbs

"David Trudgett" wrote in message ...
sim72 wrote:
I might be naive, but I thought that three days after the last of the
'drizzle' that the yarra would have subsided enough for a ride. Nup.
Turns out dight's falls has extended over the bike path for about 50
metres. It was fairly hairy 2wd-ing through hub-deep murky water

What sort of bike do +you+ have? The chain on mine only goes to +one+
wheel! ;-)

David

--

Who would Jesus bomb?

He must have a Chritini

http://www.christini.com/bikes.php

Parbs

Old November 20th 04, 12:40 AM
David Trudgett

Parbs wrote:

He must have a Chritini

http://www.christini.com/bikes.php

Fascinating! I never knew such a beast existed.

David

Troy's Excellent D.C. to Pittsburgh NBG Adventure Cycle America General 0 May 24th 05 11:04 PM
Katy Trail,RR TBGibb Rides 2 December 10th 04 03:05 AM
Katy Trail,RR TBGibb Rides 0 December 10th 04 01:30 AM
Uwharrie Trail Care Day May 15 Central NC Tommy Taylor Mountain Biking 1 April 28th 04 06:33 PM
RR Guelph Hiking Trail - Very Long Robert Schultz Mountain Biking 0 July 21st 03 05:12 AM