Heart Rate Monitor

Old April 1st 04, 11:39 AM
Giant ATX 860

Default Heart Rate Monitor

Hi guys, I bought myself a Polar HRM today.
My question is, the manual says that you should keep the moinitor away from
dust and stuff, and to also wash the Sensor strap after each use.
Well I have mounted the HRM on my handlebars.

I don't want to keep taking it off after each ride, is it ok to just leave
it on my bike, or should I keep it put away.

And do I really need to wash the strap after each ride ?
Also if I am out riding and it starts to rain will the HRM be ok.

Thanks for any advice,
Giant Atx 860

Old April 1st 04, 02:42 PM
John Harlow

I don't want to keep taking it off after each ride, is it ok to just
leave it on my bike, or should I keep it put away.

That's where mine stays. It's just as "comfortable" there as a desk drawer.

And do I really need to wash the strap after each ride ?

Theoretically your salty sweat can leave enough conductive residue on it to
trigger it on and run the battery down. Might be good to wipe the contact
areas off.

Also if I am out riding and it starts to rain will the HRM be ok.

It is a pretty well sealed unit; rain should not be a problem It should be
removed before you take a hose to your bike, or before endo-ing

Old April 1st 04, 03:27 PM
James Calivar

"Giant ATX 860" wrote in message
Hi guys, I bought myself a Polar HRM today.
My question is, the manual says that you should keep the moinitor away

from
dust and stuff, and to also wash the Sensor strap after each use.
Well I have mounted the HRM on my handlebars.

I don't want to keep taking it off after each ride, is it ok to just leave
it on my bike, or should I keep it put away.

And do I really need to wash the strap after each ride ?
Also if I am out riding and it starts to rain will the HRM be ok.

Thanks for any advice,
Giant Atx 860

Please. I've got a Polar S710 on my road bike that has seen more than 2100
miles since I got it last year. The only time I take it off the handlebars
is when I take it with me to the gym.

And I've never washed the strap. Still going strong. Seems to me that
regular trips through the wash would be more detrimental than a permanent
funk.

Old April 1st 04, 07:19 PM
JD

"Giant ATX 860" wrote in message ...
Hi guys, I bought myself a Polar HRM today.
My question is, the manual says that you should keep the moinitor away from
dust and stuff, and to also wash the Sensor strap after each use.
Well I have mounted the HRM on my handlebars.

I don't want to keep taking it off after each ride, is it ok to just leave
it on my bike, or should I keep it put away.

And do I really need to wash the strap after each ride ?
Also if I am out riding and it starts to rain will the HRM be ok.

Throw the damn thing away. Problems solved.

JD
Old April 1st 04, 09:06 PM
James Calivar

"JD" wrote in message
om...
"Giant ATX 860" wrote in message

Hi guys, I bought myself a Polar HRM today.
My question is, the manual says that you should keep the moinitor away

from
dust and stuff, and to also wash the Sensor strap after each use.
Well I have mounted the HRM on my handlebars.

I don't want to keep taking it off after each ride, is it ok to just

leave
it on my bike, or should I keep it put away.

And do I really need to wash the strap after each ride ?
Also if I am out riding and it starts to rain will the HRM be ok.

Throw the damn thing away. Problems solved.

JD

You know JD, there *is* a time and a place for HRMs. For me, that's in the
gym or on the stationary trainer when I'm trying to get a "serious" workout
in. Just because you don't use one doesn't mean everyone else should follow
your lead.

Old April 1st 04, 09:44 PM
Per Elmsäter

JD wrote:
"Giant ATX 860" wrote in message
Hi guys, I bought myself a Polar HRM today.
My question is, the manual says that you should keep the moinitor
away from dust and stuff, and to also wash the Sensor strap after
each use.
Well I have mounted the HRM on my handlebars.

I don't want to keep taking it off after each ride, is it ok to just
leave it on my bike, or should I keep it put away.

And do I really need to wash the strap after each ride ?
Also if I am out riding and it starts to rain will the HRM be ok.

Throw the damn thing away. Problems solved.

Hey man don't be so heartless. He only got it today

--
Perre

Old April 1st 04, 09:47 PM
Per Elmsäter

Giant ATX 860 wrote:
Hi guys, I bought myself a Polar HRM today.
My question is, the manual says that you should keep the moinitor
away from dust and stuff, and to also wash the Sensor strap after
each use.

Somebody else mentioned the salt that "may" wear your battery down sooner.
Nothing else

Well I have mounted the HRM on my handlebars.

I don't want to keep taking it off after each ride, is it ok to just
leave it on my bike, or should I keep it put away.

Well I take mine off when I stop for a coffee or go inside a store, just in
case.

And do I really need to wash the strap after each ride ?
Also if I am out riding and it starts to rain will the HRM be ok.

You should be able to go swimming with it, at least the S series I know.
Just don't push any buttons once it's submerged.

--
Perre

Old April 1st 04, 09:47 PM
Stephen Baker

James Calivar says:

"serious"

Heh heh He said "Serious"...
Old April 1st 04, 10:29 PM
James Calivar

"Stephen Baker" wrote in message
James Calivar says:

"serious"

Heh heh He said "Serious"...

No, I said ""serious"".

Old April 1st 04, 10:48 PM
Stephen Baker

James C says:

Heh heh He said "Serious"...

No, I said ""serious"".

Now that's some "serious" nit-picking. ;-)