Tube patching glue (vulcanizing fluid)

Old September 1st 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Colin Campbell

Default Tube patching glue (vulcanizing fluid)

I saw a friend riding the other day, and we were discussing what to
carry on a ride.

He mentioned, "A patch kit, and two tubes of glue. One that hasn't been
opened, ..."

And I jumped in, "...and one that has dried out since it was used for
the last repair."

We laughed, and went on our way. But how does anyone keep the darned
tube from drying out (or actually evaporating, I guess) between flat
repairs?

And where can one buy extra tubes of vulcanizing fluid?
Old September 1st 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Artoi

In article ,
Colin Campbell wrote:

I saw a friend riding the other day, and we were discussing what to
carry on a ride.

He mentioned, "A patch kit, and two tubes of glue. One that hasn't been
opened, ..."

And I jumped in, "...and one that has dried out since it was used for
the last repair."

We laughed, and went on our way. But how does anyone keep the darned
tube from drying out (or actually evaporating, I guess) between flat
repairs?

And where can one buy extra tubes of vulcanizing fluid?

And how do the tubed rubber glue solution compare with self-adhesive
patches?
Old September 1st 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Colin Campbell writes:

I saw a friend riding the other day, and we were discussing what to
carry on a ride.

He mentioned, "A patch kit, and two tubes of glue. One that hasn't
been opened, ..."

And I jumped in, "...and one that has dried out since it was used
for the last repair."

Don't rely on the unopened tube of glue to be any better at no
evaporating. Until the tire patch makers learn that a crimped tube
leaks, we will continue to see completely dry unopened glue tubes.
Plastic screw caps with a metal/cardboard insert seal better than a
poorly crimped tube. Unfortunately, many of them are poorly crimped.

To test this, open a tube with its threaded end up and see how much of
the tube can be flattened before glue appears. Just the same, a well
crimped tube contains clear liquid, not milky jell, as many specimens
do.

We laughed, and went on our way. But how does anyone keep the
darned tube from drying out (or actually evaporating, I guess)
between flat repairs?

And where can one buy extra tubes of vulcanizing fluid?

Any good bicycle shop will do.

Jobst Brandt
Old September 1st 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Peter Rathman writes:

I saw a friend riding the other day, and we were discussing what
to carry on a ride.

He mentioned, "A patch kit, and two tubes of glue. One that
hasn't been opened, ..."

And I jumped in, "...and one that has dried out since it was used
for the last repair."

Don't rely on the unopened tube of glue to be any better at no
evaporating. Until the tire patch makers learn that a crimped tube
leaks, we will continue to see completely dry unopened glue tubes.

It's been quite a few years since I last encountered one of those so
my impression is that the makers are getting better at crimping the
ends. I almost always run out of patches well before I'm out of
glue, so I usually put the half-used tube from the previous patch
kit into the new one just in case there should be a leak. More
common in my experience than a poor crimp is an unnoticed crack in
the plastic cap that allows the glue to evaporate.

When closing the glue tube I squeeze it a bit so some excess glue
coats the threads inside the cap. This gives a good seal without
needing to turn the cap on so hard that it's likely to cause a crack
to start.

Do this with the opening upward to drive out any air (empty volume)
that would allow internal evaporation. Coating a bad cap with glue
won't prevent evaporation.

Jobst Brandt
Old September 1st 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Colin Campbell wrote:
I saw a friend riding the other day, and we were discussing what to
carry on a ride.

He mentioned, "A patch kit, and two tubes of glue. One that hasn't been
opened, ..."

And I jumped in, "...and one that has dried out since it was used for
the last repair."

We laughed, and went on our way. But how does anyone keep the darned
tube from drying out (or actually evaporating, I guess) between flat
repairs?

And where can one buy extra tubes of vulcanizing fluid?

Why not carry a tube? It is faster and you don't have to deal with
repairs, etc. You can get a can of inner tube cement at an auto parts
store. You can also get the cement tubes, but the can will last forever
and the contents will not dry out. When you get a flat, take your tube
home and patch it there.

Andres

Old September 1st 06, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Damerell

Quoting Colin Campbell cmcampb_at_adelphia.net:
I saw a friend riding the other day, and we were discussing what to
carry on a ride.
He mentioned, "A patch kit, and two tubes of glue. One that hasn't been
opened, ..."

I bring a spare tube. The patch kit's just for emergencies.

We laughed, and went on our way. But how does anyone keep the darned
tube from drying out (or actually evaporating, I guess) between flat
repairs?

The opened tube from a Rema Tip Top patch kit on my bike, which has been
open for a few years, has not dried out. Ditto the one in my toolbox.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Today is Second Wednesday, August.
Old September 1st 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

David Damerell writes:

I saw a friend riding the other day, and we were discussing what to
carry on a ride. He mentioned, "A patch kit, and two tubes of
glue. One that hasn't been opened, ..."

I bring a spare tube. The patch kit's just for emergencies.

We laughed, and went on our way. But how does anyone keep the
darned tube from drying out (or actually evaporating, I guess)
between flat repairs?

The opened tube from a Rema Tip Top patch kit on my bike, which has
been open for a few years, has not dried out. Ditto the one in my
toolbox.

Well! I guess that proves that it cannot occur. So what other
explanation do you have for dried out glue tubes, even unopened ones?

Jobst Brandt

Patching tube with silicone meb Techniques 6 November 22nd 05 11:26 PM
ARRRRRGH Luigi de Guzman General 65 April 30th 04 03:35 AM
ARRRRRGH [email protected] Techniques 8 April 29th 04 11:39 PM
Threaded versus threadless headset Hjalmar Duklęt General 64 August 29th 03 06:55 PM
Threaded versus threadless headset Hjalmar Duklęt Techniques 93 August 28th 03 07:43 AM