Question Michelin Pro 4 tires

Old April 9th 15, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Question Michelin Pro 4 tires

On 2015-04-08, Duane wrote:

Probably. Also lower pressure will make snake bite punctures more likely
so you may want to rethink that plan.

He's not going to snake bite at 90psi unless he rides into a curb.

Depends how heavy the rider is and what load is being carried.

--
JS
Old April 9th 15, 03:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2015-04-08, Duane wrote:

Probably. Also lower pressure will make snake bite punctures more likely
so you may want to rethink that plan.

He's not going to snake bite at 90psi unless he rides into a curb.

Or a pothole.

And we've got an all-time record crop of those around here.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 9th 15, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2015-04-08, Duane wrote:

Probably. Also lower pressure will make snake bite punctures more likely
so you may want to rethink that plan.

He's not going to snake bite at 90psi unless he rides into a curb.

Or a pothole.

And we've got an all-time record crop of those around here.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Same here Frank. The freeze thaw freeze winter we had produced a bumper crop of potholes and cracks. We also have a number of sunken steel pipes that end at or just below road surface and can really deflect the front wheel if you hit one. What's worse is that many of tthem are right where a bicyclist rides if they take either lane centre or the left tire track of a car. Nasty little buggers those recessed pipes are.

Cheers
Old April 9th 15, 09:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Graham

"jbeattie" wrote in message ...
On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 5:43:28 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 09/04/15 06:47, wrote:
At the group's suggestion, I bought and mounted a couple of Pro 4 700
X 23C tires on my Paramount. The instructions said to inflate them to
100 - 120 PSI, but I inflated them to only 90 PSI because I thought
they'd be too prone to puncture at the higher pressure.

They seem to handle squirrely to me at this pressure. Going into a
turn, when the sidewall tread starts to grab the road, the bike
oversteers; i.e., turns more sharply than expected. This is quite
disconcerting!

Is this because I didn't inflate them enough?

Thanks!

I never noticed that kind of problem, but I would normally pump the
front to about 100psi, and the rear to about 110psi with 23mm tyres. It
depends on how much you weigh as well. I'm about 75kg.

I've ridden 23mm Michelin Pros (pick a number) at 90psi with no problem whatsoever. I weigh maybe 205lbs. I don't do this by design, but there are plenty of times when I forget to pump up before leaving for a ride.

I've fixed flats and ridden home on 70-80 psi, and I may get some wallowing if I drive the bike hard down hill, but it doesn't feel "squirrelly." It feels like you're scrubbing the tire and that it will wash-out -- and steering is heavy. IMO, the bike gets squirrelly when tires are over-inflation because it is getting bounced all over the place and doesn't feel planted. It feels like the front wheel is castering.

I am currently around 80kgs and ride with my 23mm Pro 4s 105psi front, 115psi rear. If it is wet I will drop those pressures by around 10psi. I have not noticed any "squirrely" handling even at 95psi but then I guess I back off a bit in high speed corners in the wet. I also drop about 5psi when/if I get down to my target summer weight of 75kgs!

Here is one guy's views about tyre pressures which he claims is based on Michelin tyres. I do not follow his views to the letter as you will see by the numbers above but it does describe the considerations involved:

http://www.bccclub.org/documents/Tireinflation.pdf

Graham.

---

Old April 9th 15, 09:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 10:47:55 PM UTC+2, wrote:
At the group's suggestion, I bought and mounted a couple of Pro 4 700 X 23C tires on my Paramount. The instructions said to inflate them to 100 - 120 PSI, but I inflated them to only 90 PSI because I thought they'd be too prone to puncture at the higher pressure.

They seem to handle squirrely to me at this pressure. Going into a turn, when the sidewall tread starts to grab the road, the bike oversteers; i.e., turns more sharply than expected. This is quite disconcerting!

Is this because I didn't inflate them enough?

Thanks!

-retro

90 psi is 6.2 bar. If you weight is less than 75 kg that pressure should give you not that kind of feeling especially at the front. I weigh 73-75 kg and I inflate my front tire always to 6.5 bar.

Lou
Old April 9th 15, 11:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 2015-04-08, Duane wrote:

Probably. Also lower pressure will make snake bite punctures more likely
so you may want to rethink that plan.

He's not going to snake bite at 90psi unless he rides into a curb.

Or a pothole.

And we've got an all-time record crop of those around here.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Same here Frank. The freeze thaw freeze winter we had produced a bumper
crop of potholes and cracks. We also have a number of sunken steel pipes
that end at or just below road surface and can really deflect the front
wheel if you hit one. What's worse is that many of tthem are right where
a bicyclist rides if they take either lane centre or the left tire track
of a car. Nasty little buggers those recessed pipes are.

Cheers

Same here. Now that the ice is melting you see potholes everywhere. Seems
worse every year. And until we get some rain or street cleaning the sand
and gravel make things interesting.

--
duane
Old April 9th 15, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Excellent information! Thanks, all. I will try the higher pressure and report back, after taking a ride when the weather clears up.

I'd better get myself a proper pressure gauge, too. The one on my old electric tire pump is probably no longer accurate.
Old April 9th 15, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris[_2_]

On Wednesday, April 8, 2015 at 6:56:20 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

That's at the low end of a rideable inflation range and yes
probably feels like jello in a corner. Rum them up to normal
and they will ride very well.

I like 700 X 25 tires at 100 psi, at this time of year.

Art Harris
Old April 14th 15, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

They're nice at 105 PSI. I had them 'way too low. I like the way they feel, and the bike goes where you point it.